Who are you using for your dedicated servers and hosting?

With the internet rapidly expanding, dedicated servers and hosting services are everywhere. So I'm curious what providers people are using. Do the typical big name hosts like HostGator and Godaddy dominate the space? Or are smaller hosts and server resellers, focused on customer service, quality and niche services the direction people are going? I think for people freshly exploring the space - creating their first website or something along these lines, a larger provider is most likely what they're using. It's quick, easy and you don't have to be an expert. So when do people start to become involved with these niche dedicated servers and hosts?

Who are you currently using to host your website? What about your dedicated server provider? I'll take it one step further. Are you using specialty servers and who are you using for those? Great examples are private Minecraft servers, Counterstrike servers (do people still play CS?) and other private game servers?

Amazon ECS. For about 6 months now. Web hosting and TS3.

If you're just hosting one simple website though, it's not really worth it at $15+/month. But I'm doing lots of shenanigans with it.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    My Synology NAS.
    Your NAS can do hosting and runs as a dedicated server?

10+ Year Old Account
    I keep doing the maths on the Amazon services... and every time it comes out much more expensive than the competition...

Rackspace(VPS / Cloud / IMAP),
    OVH(VPS / Dedi), - I used to be very anti OVH, mostly because I disapprove of their reuse of drives, even after they have shown SMART failures... However this was a single personal experience several years ago. I have not had an issue recently.
    Hetzner (Dedi),
    Servage (Web Cloud),
    Google (Email / Web Hosting / Storage)

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Amazon ECS. For about 6 months now. Web hosting and TS3.

If you're just hosting one simple website though, it's not really worth it at $15+/month. But I'm doing lots of shenanigans with it.
    Agreed, if you're hosting just the one website godaddy or hostgator would be the way to go. Out of the comments Amazon seems to be the most mainstream so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was running an experimental poker room that I'd written in Silverlight in the free tier of the Amazon EC2 cloud which only lasts for a year then you have to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    I keep doing the maths on the Amazon services... and every time it comes out much more expensive than the competition...

Rackspace(VPS / Cloud / IMAP),
    OVH(VPS / Dedi), - I used to be very anti OVH, mostly because I disapprove of their reuse of drives, even after they have shown SMART failures... However this was a single personal experience several years ago. I have not had an issue recently.
    Hetzner (Dedi),
    Servage (Web Cloud),
    Google (Email / Web Hosting / Storage)
    Once I'm done my "free" year, I might look at other options. Digital Ocean is high on my list.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I'll echo some of the comments above. If all you need to do is host a personal website then your best option is a higher level provider like Godaddy or even just Wordpress.com.

For any sort of serious hosting I would recommend Amazon Web Services all the way. However, you don't really start to see the true value of AWS until you start to scale out and also when you start to use the various AWS services in collaboration with one another. There is clear savings at that point both in terms of operating expense (pricing plans for AWS are structured in a way to incentivize customers to use the services together) and also developer productivity (eg. common SDK, console, other tooling).