10+ Year Old Account

DX9c and DX12 Issues on PC

So with my new pc, it came with DirectX 12. so far I've had no issues running all my games, FFXIV, Wow, Skyrim, The Batman Arkham series, The Witcher series, Wildstar, pretty much all games so far have worked fine.
    However when I finally installed Tera Rising, it kept telling me after running a test for pc compatablility that my current version of DirectX wasn't compatable with Tera, that Tera needed at least directx 9c to play.

I've looked online at solutions, and most sites just say that the makers of Tera haven't updated their game engine to accept anything higher then directx 9 for it, and don't have the money to update the games engine.

I wondered then, since despite claims the directX 12 is backwards comparable with older DX systems, this clearly isn't the case with some games, is it possible to install a copy of DX9c on a pc with DX12 on it, and it not mess up the DX12 or uninstall it?

I don't think DX12 has legacy support. Win10 still comes with 11, which has legacy support. The issue is with some programs, just try and find a DX9 installer and run it with XP compatibility mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    I don't think DX12 has legacy support. Win10 still comes with 11, which has legacy support. The issue is with some programs, just try and find a DX9 installer and run it with XP compatibility mode.
    so that won't interfere with DX12 in any way?

I have found it quite normal for some games, to want to do their own DX9 install, to update specific files.

And just install it. They should have nothing to do with each other.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrus View Post
    I have found it quite normal for some games, to want to do their own DX9 install, to update specific files.

And just install it. They should have nothing to do with each other.
    yeah, I found that with just about every other game in that regard. Pretty much a fault of Tera's company

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    so that won't interfere with DX12 in any way?
    Nope. It's a different API. There should be no issues.

Install away, it doesn't overwrite.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    Nope. It's a different API. There should be no issues.
    Turns out that after making Tera run a repair game install, it fixed it. Oddly after running a pc comparability scan it still tells me its not comparable with my pcs DX, but it runs anyway. So it seems to have just been a file error not related to the DX version.