Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Better question is what he thinks the software running on the doctors tablets connects to... or how a tablet isn't a "PC". First tablet I had was a 386SX 25Mhz running Windows 3.11 for pens.
    Or where the software running in the OS was designed.
    Or where the operating system kernel was designed.
    Or where the chip was designed.
    Or where the equipment that built the chip was designed.
    Or where was the science behind the manufacturing process developed.
    Etc...
    Someone has to actually run the world and it's not the people running around with tablets.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2015-09-30 at 07:52 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sounds almost like the motor at the end of Atlas Shrugged. Science and technology marches forward!
    You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of Humanity in your hearts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What exactly was the bet I made with the Klingon sex workers?

I hope someone doesn't sig this post...

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Or where the software running on the OS was designed.
    Or where the operating system kernel was designed.
    Or where the chip was designed.
    Or where the equipment that built the chip was designed.
    Or where was the science behind the manufacturing process developed.
    Etc...
    Someone has to actually run the world and it's not the people running around with tablets.
    Ok I get it alright. My point is this may solve a core issue and chief complaint with things like the Apple watch or other devices that will need to be charged and people do not want to charge daily. Right now I have wireless charges for my Samsung and my wifes samsung phone that work by induction heating.

I would LOVEEE if I could just have my phone charge because I am close to my house or walking around. By the way Cloud storage is going to make having a PC with a huge hard drive fucking useless. Every huge investment by tech companies is in cloud and data centers.

All of Microsofts new stuff like Excel is going to work via cloud and subscription access.

So you believe he had a working "death ray"?
    A charged particle beam of some sort, yes, that actually is reasonable for what he was able to accomplish. He most likely didn't have the capacity to have it in a mobile form of any sort, but we developed something nearly identical to Tesla's concepts during the cold war, and it was quite effective on a small scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich
    Liberals are against discrimination, except when it coincides with their own personal hatreds. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor
    Yah because I'm stroking my evil lapcat while sitting in my Ivory tower of oppression built on the skulls of those less fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Ok I get it alright. My point is this may solve a core issue and chief complaint with things like the Apple watch or other devices that will need to be charged and people do not want to charge daily. Right now I have wireless charges for my Samsung and my wifes samsung phone that work by induction heating.
    No it won't, the amount of energy these phones consume and the amount of energy that this can absorb from radio waves in the background is not comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    No it won't, the amount of energy these phones consume and the amount of energy that this can absorb from radio waves in the background is not comparable.
    The guy mentions 2G, 3G, and 4G. Verizon is rolling out 5G in the US. I am telling you right now. If American companies find a market for this technology they will drop serious cash into it. I promise you right now Apple is looking for a solution to the chief complaint from people about their watch and that is battery life.

That company is sitting on 200 billion in cash so while the UK might do jackshit with something like I guarantee you someone is trying to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    A good idea, but not a new one.
    I read about this quite a while ago, described as Ambient Backscatter.
    Been done before, with sensors for temperature etc.
    You guys remind me of this guy, at 2:28, in 1983

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Go some years beyond that, and my phone will have photorealistic VR, but my dedicated source box will host VR with smells and touch and tactile feedback: and you won't be able to just jam an SPU (Smell Processing Unit) into every phone - it's going to require some space.
    I swear, your powers of description are so much fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

Quote Originally Posted by Jervaise View Post
    You guys remind me of this guy, at 2:28, in 1983
    I'll put money on it within 2-3 years you will see Tim Cook walking around the stage with his phone charging without being plugged in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bottom line is that the amount of RF energy needed to produce 5v at .5 Amps would require either a massive antenna, or so much RF energy that it would be harmful (Tesla Coils are not healthy to be around and electronics don't like them). The math just doesn't work. But every year or so, someone comes out with a "breakthrough" and tries to get funding based on a smoke and mirrors demonstration. I seem to recall a Mythbuster's episode where they touched on this as part of a "perpetual/free energy" bogus claims break down.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll put money on it within 2-3 years you will see Tim Cook walking around the stage with his phone charging without being plugged in.
    Perhaps, but using long range inductive charging, which is a bit different then "RF energy". Using something like Duke's "super lens".
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

The guy mentions 2G, 3G, and 4G.
    Again, there is not enough energy for anything even remotely close.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    You won't have to get it. Personally, I think having direct access to the world's knowledge in a microsecond would be something that I very much would value and prize.

That, and an AI that sorts it, and understands natural language/thought, and returns only the most relevant information would be a game changer.
    Maybe in ways you do not want. I guess our differences is in our trust and faith in mankind. One thing history has taught us is how cruel, deceiving and unpredictable humans can be. Not saying all technological advances are a bad thing. Certainly not in many cases. But some of those advances are like a doubled edge sword.

Is this another instance of "science" that's not really something that can be done? Like solar roadways and hoverboards? Do they have a crowd funding page scamming people yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

I would LOVEEE if I could just have my phone charge because I am close to my house or walking around. By the way Cloud storage is going to make having a PC with a huge hard drive fucking useless. Every huge investment by tech companies is in cloud and data centers.

All of Microsofts new stuff like Excel is going to work via cloud and subscription access.
    Actually it will depend on who you are and even where you are. And how critical it is to you if the link to the data center where all your data is located. If you are a company that can't afford to be with out your data for a day or even an hour or you loose millions of dollars. then you certainly aren't going to be putting all your data in the Cloud across the country. And if its an hour to download the project from the "cloud" that will suck. What's a huge hard drive anyway?

Are you going to work on a CAD project that is 20 GB in size have to download it from the "cloud" everyday just so you can work?

I still don't get why people think this cloud thing is anything new. Its just a file server on site or not where you store or back up everything too. Nothing new and exciting there. Its just file server for the masses and hey wait we can sell this to everyone now. Not just on our network!

Tesla was a crazy scientist genius. Too bad there isn't anyone like that today. Might get something awesome and fry our brains out..

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is also why they are losing market share as people switch to third party options that don't require a monthly fee or risk losing access to your files.

Then there's all the cloud security issues, etc...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    So you believe he had a working "death ray"?
    Sure why not? I can build a lethal intensity microwave emitter out of stuff available in any hardware store / appliance store. Hell - the easiest is just:

1. Purchase industrial-strength microwave
    2. Rip door off microwave.
    3. Jam pencil into the 'door ajar' checker.
    4. Turn on at max settings.
    5. Point at your enemies.

Pencil + microwave = death-ray

I suspect Tesla was probably doing either something similar - almost certainly stronger and more focused. Or playing with x-rays, or virtually any high concentration radiation. We like to think of a lethal intensity laser as a death ray, but really just about any radiation in sufficient intensity is really bad for us. Concentrating it isn't hard, generating it isn't hard: seems believable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Korlok View Post
    I swear, your powers of description are so much fun.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2015-09-30 at 11:54 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter