Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Model X Officially Announced

So the Tesla Model X has been officially launched, and it's beautiful. 7 seats, massive cargo space, all the traditional Tesla bells and whistles.

And it'll do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. An SUV that accelerates faster than a Pagani Huayra. As fast as a McLaren F1. I don't know why you'd ever want to move that fast in an SUV, but I have to admire the technical accomplishment of it.

It's also as sleek and beautiful as ever, though I'm not convinced by the "falcon wing doors."

But one of the things I think it funny about it is the "bioweapon defense mode" button, a real button in the interface:

Musk owns a rocket company that contracts to the US military. What does he know that we don't?
    Last edited by Reeve; 2015-10-01 at 02:32 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    The bioweapon airfilter thingy is pretty neat. Filters the bad stuff multiple hundred times better than a regular one.

10+ Year Old Account
    That looks amazing -- Wonder what one of those is going to cost. Wife and I were looking at the Model S not so long ago but something like this would be incredible.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    The bioweapon airfilter thingy is pretty neat. Filters the bad stuff multiple hundred times better than a regular one.
    Probably good for people with extreme environmental sensitivities.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

It's priced 100-150k depending on all the bells and whistles. I'm waiting for the model 3.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    That looks amazing -- Wonder what one of those is going to cost. Wife and I were looking at the Model S not so long ago but something like this would be incredible.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/tesla/model-x

Estimated at $75,000.

They really need to make one that is available to the middle class. $75,000 for a car is still too much.

Currently in New Jersey, I can fill my tank from empty for about $25 at the most.

Car - $16k
    Gas - $25 a week or $1,300 a year.

Over 4 years of owning my car gas would cost me $5,200 + the $16k for the car is a total of $21,200.

They need to make a Tesla that falls into that range price.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    http://www.caranddriver.com/tesla/model-x

Estimated at $75,000.

They really need to make one that is available to the middle class. $75,000 for a car is still too much.

Currently in New Jersey, I can fill my tank from empty for about $25 at the most.

Car - $16k
    Gas - $25 a week or $1,300 a year.

Over 4 years of owning my car gas would cost me $5,200 + the $16k for the car is a total of $21,200.

Don't worry -- The Model III is indeed coming for the middle class. At $35,000 I hope to see a lot of these on the road.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...oming-in-2017/
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    It's priced 100-150k depending on all the bells and whistles. I'm waiting for the model 3.
    They may be selling a base model for around $75,000 - $80,000

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ain-for-luxury

What’s more, Tesla estimates a California customer would pay $112,000 on the Model X after federal and state tax incentives and five years of gas savings. OK, that’s a lot of asterisks, but company executives also say the soon-to-come base model of the Model X will cost far less than the Signature line we saw this week, a mere $5,000 or so more than the $75,000 Model S.
    The Model X has a range of 257 miles on a single charge.
    If that happens, an $80,000 Tesla SUV will sit on a par with the price of other crossover SUVs in the luxury market. According to Edmunds.com, the average transaction price for a large mainstream SUV is $52,497—$20,000 higher than a large sedan—and $82,900 for luxury rigs such as the Cadillac Escalade.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    Don't worry -- The Model III is indeed coming for the middle class. At $35,000 I hope to see a lot of these on the road.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...oming-in-2017/
    This is awesome! Making Tesla's available to the masses by offering an all around affordable car, will make it clear that we need to start building many more charge stations. This is how you change the automotive industry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Very nice car, but it also looks like it's a very expensive car. I'd totally drop the money on a car like this, but I feel like cars just aren't made like they used to be. Like, in the past you'd see people owning cars well past 180,000 miles and many over 200,000 miles. Nowadays, it just seems like cars aren't built for it and we see more people trading in cars at around six years or 75,000 miles.

I just feel like a car that expensive just isn't worth it because of this.
    That is a good point. Tesla's haven't been around long enough to get a good feel for the longevity of their machines. I am curious to know how many miles an electric car can go for before needing maintenance and such.

Electric just isn't ready for affordable mainstream use.

The cheapest ones are about that price, but it doesn't include the lease of the batteries (which can easily cost £5000 on their own). Until somebody can make cheap batteries that are powerful enough to drive a car, and last long enough to be useful, electric is going to be one of those things for your boss's boss to potter about in at the weekend.

They may be selling a base model for around $75,000 - $80,000

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ain-for-luxury

- - - Updated - - -

This is awesome! Making Tesla's available to the masses by offering an all around affordable car, will make it clear that we need to start building many more charge stations. This is how you change the automotive industry.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a good point. Tesla's haven't been around long enough to get a good feel for the longevity of their machines. I am curious to know how many miles an electric car can go for before needing maintenance and such.
    Well they have like 2 internal moving parts and really good reviews on consumer reports I'm betting they are pretty good.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Ooh, I like that one a LOT

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post

The cheapest ones are about that price, but it doesn't include the lease of the batteries (which can easily cost £5000 on their own). Until somebody can make cheap batteries that are powerful enough to drive a car, and last long enough to be useful, electric is going to be one of those things for your boss's boss to potter about in at the weekend.
    Tesla is currently working on a giga factory to mass produce batteries for cheap.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    Looks great! Love the massive front window!

I currently drive the Model S and I'm just in love with the brand

10+ Year Old Account

The warranty on a Tesla Battery is 8 years with an unlimited number of miles on it for the Company to replace it free of charge if you take the Battery Replacement Option when purchasing a new Tesla. Even if I sell my Tesla to you after three years of use -- you get the warranty as well for the next 5 years.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/infinite-mile-warranty

10+ Year Old Account

My boss uses his Tesla as his daily driver. Figure, your commute to work shouldn't be over 100 miles (unless you LOVE to drive long distances). My drive is 15 miles. The car gets 200+ to a charge. I really don't do much out of state driving, so I could essentially drive anywhere I want in my state, and back without needing to worry about charging my car.

Now of coarse, they aren't made for long road trips since there aren't frequent charge stations. However, if there was a $35,000 version that really caught the public's attention, I could see more and more charge stations popping up all over the place.

All in all, it could work as it is, but I do agree that battery tech needs a huge push.

Neat ...
    About price, it's obviously a family car. An above-midclass one. (executives, engineers, etc). I guess if I had 2 kids, a wife with an equal position, and we were interested in such a road trip beast, that'd mean we would already have the house, and the funds to invest in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really needs to go back to the drawing board that front bumper, missing something like a Grille! or whatever it is called in English. looks like a human withouth a mouth atm, otherwise good, like the rear doors to.
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4

Quote Originally Posted by Clockworks View Post
    Really needs to go back to the drawing board that front bumper, missing something like a Grille! or whatever it is called in English. looks like a human withouth a mouth atm, otherwise good, like the rear doors to.
    Electrics don't need it to let air in.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    7 seats? Looks like a tight fit.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Electrics don't need it to let air in.
    Well thats a given but it still looks like some kinda front you expect an alien come up with.
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4