Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/f...ew-Player-Help

This would probably be the most appropriate place and probably the first place new players that don't know about fansites visit.

I hope you will do written versions of your video guide.
    I friggin HATE YT guides. Why on earth would I slog through half an hour of video material, when I can process the same information in text form in a few minutes?
    I never got the rave about some dude yappin on and on on his YT channel in an inefficient attempt to teach me stuff.
    Write it up, so I can read & skip to the parts I really need. If there is something you absolutely have to show people visually do a short clip of it.
    But they want to show off their faces and bods, yo. Can't do that in a write up. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    But they want to show off their faces and bods, yo. Can't do that in a write up. :P

Where there's a will, theirs a way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    I blame people actually watching that crap. :P

So, you post this:

FFXIV forums: Just a link with translation "omg look at my vid!"
    MMO champion forums: Gets closed because you overlook the main topic for this (can happen)
    Subreddit: Gets banned because of breaking the rules..

What's next? On tumblr? twitter? Facebook?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    So, you post this:

FFXIV forums: Just a link with translation "omg look at my vid!"
    MMO champion forums: Gets closed because you overlook the main topic for this (can happen)
    Subreddit: Gets banned because of breaking the rules..

What's next? On tumblr? twitter? Facebook?
    pretty sure I saw that twitter bird symbol bullshit in the video already.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chesder View Post
    I'm aware.

This has shifted from being a post about in what is my opinion, abuse of a community, to bashing against a video made to help new players.

Not continuing this conversation further.
    You sound like you're really a boon to the community.
    disco inferno

Deleted
    The only way this happened is if the video had an ad on it, which if you got banned from the subreddit, is extremely likely. There are options to stop monetization on your videos. https://support.google.com/youtube/a...94522?hl=en-GB

Last time I uploaded, or saw someone upload a video, this option was not ticked by default (Might have changed since) but either way you should be aware of how YouTube works before you use it.

Ontop of that...posting a NEWBIE guide on a sub reddit screams out advertising. There are 1000s of starter guides on youtube, 100s of sites dedicated to providing starter tips, heck even the official site does. Where does yours stand out from the rest? Is yours better production value then curses videos? No offence but I highly doubt. The removal of your post, and account seems fair.
    Last edited by mmoca8c3a8c487; 2015-10-02 at 07:03 PM.

I'll take the fact that I recieved messages asking for more guides on more topics reason enough to make them. The "it's been done already" line is silly and a weak argument. I get more of the impression from this forum that the bashing is against videos in general and overall elitism in the sense that many of the people who posted here believe themselves above the information. That being said I won't waste my breathe arguing the necessity for such tutorials on those who the video was not made for in the first place.

Deleted
    Youtube video guides are horrible, i support the reddit mods in removing unnecessary stuff.

There are rules on Reddit about self-promoting, and that falls under it by their definition. This isn't an opinion, this is a hard rule of Reddit. If you have an issue with anyone, have an issue with Reddit's rules themselves, not the moderators of FFXIV's Reddit.
    They're simply enforcing site rules and in fact by doing that they potentially saved you from actually being banned from Reddit itself

I think a forum here dedicated to help for FF14 would be great.

I've got lots of things that are not well known to players that I intend to share in the future. If there was a more appropriate place to do that beyond a thread I think it would help a great deal.
    A thread you mean? You have a sub-forum, the best you could do is get a sticky "New Player Help Thread" or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    This is primarily a WoW site, good luck getting further sub-forums for other games. We are lucky to even have this sub-forum at all.
    Pretty much. GW2 lost its sub-forum awhile ago. Now people have to go to the Megathread in the "General Video Games" forum.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    A thread you mean? You have a sub-forum, the best you could do is get a sticky "New Player Help Thread" or something like that.

Pretty much. GW2 lost its sub-forum awhile ago. Now people have to go to the Megathread in the "General Video Games" forum.
    You must be thinking of a different game since GW2's sub-forum is the one with the most posts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll take the fact that I recieved messages asking for more guides on more topics reason enough to make them. The "it's been done already" line is silly and a weak argument. I get more of the impression from this forum that the bashing is against videos in general and overall elitism in the sense that many of the people who posted here believe themselves above the information. That being said I won't waste my breathe arguing the necessity for such tutorials on those who the video was not made for in the first place.
    I don't consider myself above tutorials.
    I think that a YT-vid with ads in front of it is a horribly inefficient way to distribute said information.

FF-XIV has class forums. Write your guide and post it there. That's where it belongs. You can also link the video version of your guide there for people that happen to like that sort of thing.

However, if said guides already exist, instead of creating a new one from scratch, be part of the community and collaborate with the current guide writers in order to add information that is missing.
    If you truly want to help newbies instead of wanting to be all "LOOK AT MA YT AND HOW AWESOME I AM!" that is.
    Because nothing is more confusing than finding 3 guides that all say different things.

So that's why it's so hard to find good guides nowadays, because crappy mods won't allow most of them...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post

About that...

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I friggin HATE YT guides. Why on earth would I slog through half an hour of video material, when I can process the same information in text form in a few minutes?
    If someone's YT guide is 30 minutes long, they've definitely done something wrong. 30 minute videos should generally be for Lets Plays and videos that are meant to be in-depth style discussions..

Visual guides, like those on YT, work best in a short format (ideally 5-7 minutes, depending on subject matter) and there are some good examples of that floating around. Basically, if it would take you a few minutes to read, it should only take a few minutes to watch.

I wish more YT guide makers understood that less is more in these situations, and you overwhelm the viewer if you try and put too much information in and take too long doing so.

This is like a goldbuyer crying about getting banned from WoW.
    Good stuff.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    It always baffles me when people break rules then are surprised when they get banned and whine about it. You broke the rules, plain and simple.

In short, the point of the subreddit, and this forum and others like it, are for people to talk about the game. To create a community with of people with similar interests. It IS NOT there for people to advertise and make profit from.

IMO, this is not a sad state of reddit, it's a sad state of people expecting free advertising.
    Did you read your own quote?
    The part where it says "As a rule of thumb, 10% or less of a user's content should be self-promotional content.".
    How much % of a guide in the form of a youtube video counts as self-promotion?
    Did the moderator even bother investigating anything before powertripping?
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    Did you read your own quote?
    The part where it says "As a rule of thumb, 10% or less of a user's content should be self-promotional content.".
    How much % of a guide in the form of a youtube video counts as self-promotion?
    Did the moderator even bother investigating anything before powertripping?
    Considering we don't know what the OP actually wrote, I'm giving the mod on reddit the benefit of the doubt.
    Wouldn't be suprised if it was a 1 or 2 liner with a link to his guides.

1) The rules state no EXCESSIVE self promotion. A single contribution to the community isn't excessive. Thinking so is about as logical as the airlines that charge you an "excessive bag fee" for your one entire bag.

2) Someone in this thread said they'd never want to watch a long video guide. OP's guide is about 3 minutes and details several critical things a new player would want to know when starting out.

3) IMO it's actually quite good.

However, OP, you're posting this same thread everywhere under the sun. You really shouldn't do that.
    Final Fantasy XIV info= Star Swirl on Behemoth AKA Best-hemoth AKA The Cool Kid's Table
    WoW info= Gareth- Uldum Horde