Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by garethrogue View Post
    However, OP, you're posting this same thread everywhere under the sun. You really shouldn't do that.
    Attention whoring is good if you want attention.
    Especially for your guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    If someone's YT guide is 30 minutes long, they've definitely done something wrong. 30 minute videos should generally be for Lets Plays and videos that are meant to be in-depth style discussions..

Visual guides, like those on YT, work best in a short format (ideally 5-7 minutes, depending on subject matter) and there are some good examples of that floating around. Basically, if it would take you a few minutes to read, it should only take a few minutes to watch.

I wish more YT guide makers understood that less is more in these situations, and you overwhelm the viewer if you try and put too much information in and take too long doing so.
    I thought the exact same thing. I decides to make small videos that get to the point. This first one is 3 minutes. The second is atm about 5.

No one should have to sit through 15 minutes of things they know just to get to the unknown. It's why I hate the "10 things you didn't know" videos. They all say the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chesder View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. I decides to make small videos that get to the point. This first one is 3 minutes. The second is atm about 5.
    No one should have to sit through 15 minutes of things they know just to get to the unknown. It's why I hate the "10 things you didn't know" videos. They all say the same thing.
    Best YT guides are the ones where the dude doesn't even speak but opens Notepad and starts typing A G O N I Z I N G L Y slow.....

(obligatory forum hint: the above may contain sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Best YT guides are the ones where the dude doesn't even speak but opens Notepad and starts typing A G O N I Z I N G L Y slow.....

(obligatory forum hint: the above may contain sarcasm)
    True story - I frequently watch YT guides, and I don't think I've made it 15 seconds into videos like that. Not quite Notepad bad...but the obnoxious nothing but slow text (that often isn't formatted properly for easy reading) with no voice over.

/cringe

Quote Originally Posted by chesder View Post
    Waaaaaaah i was banenmened plz pat me in the ass
    No one cares.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    True story - I frequently watch YT guides, and I don't think I've made it 15 seconds into videos like that. Not quite Notepad bad...but the obnoxious nothing but slow text (that often isn't formatted properly for easy reading) with no voice over.

/cringe
    You forgot to add some whacky grunt Metal or worse... weird techno "music" to it.

Quote Originally Posted by garethrogue View Post
    1) The rules state no EXCESSIVE self promotion. A single contribution to the community isn't excessive. Thinking so is about as logical as the airlines that charge you an "excessive bag fee" for your one entire bag.
    Well, that depends on how much other stuff he posts in that sub-reddit. If that was his first post, then that is 100% of what he posted there, far more than the 10% they have written out in their rules. If he had 9 other topics started that were not self-promotion and then that guide, then he would be at only 10%. We really don't know anymore than that though.

As others have said, I'm gonna side with the mods here, as just like here, look at his post count and history. He has 8 threads started, 5 of them are guides, one of them is bitching about the FFXIV community and one is this thread, bitching about another site and one is just a link to a stupid image. If we look at all of his 36 posts, 5 of them were links to video guides. That is more than 10% of his posts being self-promoting.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/f...ew-Player-Help

This would probably be the most appropriate place and probably the first place new players that don't know about fansites visit.

I hope you will do written versions of your video guide.
    I friggin HATE YT guides. Why on earth would I slog through half an hour of video material, when I can process the same information in text form in a few minutes?
    I never got the rave about some dude yappin on and on on his YT channel in an inefficient attempt to teach me stuff.
    Write it up, so I can read & skip to the parts I really need. If there is something you absolutely have to show people visually do a short clip of it.
    That's why the only YT guide I watch for FFXIV are MTQCapture. Mizzteq keeps them pretty short and does a good job using the video's visuals to actually pause and show things in explanation to give a head's up on visual indicators, etc. Plus, I always enjoy the "and be sure you do X, unlike our tank here who did not" occurrences.

You know the people who get popular on twitch or youtube never actually pimp their content it's just something that happens through word of mouth (in a internet kinda way)

Quote Originally Posted by Masoner View Post
    You know the people who get popular on twitch or youtube never actually pimp their content it's just something that happens through word of mouth (in a internet kinda way)
    Oh there's pimping of content, it just generally isn't the primary content creator pushing it. Smart people convince others to promote them, makes you not look like a schill and adds a layer of credibility (even if the people promoting you have no idea if your stuff is good or bad.)

Now we just need to weed out the "Look guys!! My friends's cousin's little sister drew this picture of my toon." There is a whole sub for art. If they are going to be "by the book" on one rule, why not the others? I like looking at it sometimes. I just don't like it cluttering up the front page.

Fuck video guides. Put that shit down on paper so I can ctrl+F and find what I'm looking for and get out.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

This topic still going?

OP Didn't follow the rules set in the subreddit. He gets disciplined for it, and reddit is at fault. That's the TL;DR.

Whenever I want to watch a video guide, I go "Nope! I can just read it a lot faster".

Also, OP tried the same here a few times "omg look at mah videos" thing.