Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exystredofar View Post
    It sounds strange, saying that we depend on anger or depression, but it is the truth. Just as some people depend on their loved ones or friends, our comfort zone lies in our suffering. It's all we know anymore, as we no longer remember what it's like to be truly fulfilled and happy. Some people, such as myself, turn to alcohol and drugs to create a false euphoria, because we know we are incapable of the real thing and we will never be truly happy. I suppose you could say that I "follow a moral high ground" in that I don't harm anyone with my own self-destructive behavior. I do my drugs, I drink until I pass out, and I do this because I prefer it over feeling nothing.
    I seriously relate to this but without the drugs. I instead play video games and live in a fantasy world.

To expanded on this I'll tell a little story that happened to me. Back story, very crappy family, socially awkward, a little retarded, no girlfriend, and only a few good friends. So for most of my life I've just been going day to day with no expectation for my life to get any better. I've almost given up on happiness. I almost don't even know what it means to be truly happy. When I was finally alone in my house after my brother and his wife moved out, thank freaking CHRIST, I started to feel it again. But it didn't truly hit me until last year.

The union at my work place planed for a family day at a local park. I had a pretty good time there with the guys. Nothing special, just hanging out. Then the woman that works with us, that I have a crush on >.>, showed up a little late. She hung out with me and another guy with his wife. The four of us walked around the park and then rode on a small tour train. We all sat on one bench and I was next to her. As we got half way through the ride it hit me. "This is what it is to be normal. To sit next to a woman you love surrounded by people you know. This is happiness." I have never before or since felt that kind of joy. I doubt she felt the same way with my creepy ass. :P

But imagine living like that, never knowing how to find happiness and people all around you living "normal" lives. That will get into your skin. Make you think nasty, horrendous thoughts. Is it right to act on these thoughts? No. It is never right. But there's nothing that can be done for these people. "See a psychiatrist." Talking helps but it doesn't solve the problem. "Deal with it" is also not going to help. The only solution is that something or someone good comes along.

threads like these clearly show that people have a complete and healthy understanding of mental health and how it effects society

lol jk

maybe we shouldnt of defunded the mental healthcare system back in the 70s. o well

Deleted
    Right or wrong only exist in the context of adhering to the constitution of society.

It's not inherently wrong or right to murder, rape, steal or whatever else we consider a breach of morality. Naturally it's just a means to an end. What makes it wrong in society is that we have agreed to peacefully coexist with each other in exchange to be removed from the natural order. Breaking this agreement by robbing people of the safety and freedom this agreement is supposed to bring is what is considered morally wrong. Empowering this agreement by helping or enabling those who adhere to it is what is considered morally right. Our concept of morality is a shared one, it's a communal concept. Not a universal one.

When you are disconnected or in disagreement with society then you're not part of it. It's just you. Now, if it's just you, then what is right and wrong? Right must then be what is right for you and wrong must be what is wrong for you. This personal morality works exactly the same as our social morality. The only difference being the amount of people it applies to and who it serves. This is an equally valid concept of morality as ours is, in fact, it's exactly the same. It just doesn't serve us and therefor we feel that it's wrong.

The question here isn't how we fix them because they ain't broken. We need to make them feel included in society if we want them to value our rules and principles. And we can't do that because most of the time they are socially and/or physically unattractive and nobody wants to touch them with a ten foot pole. That is the reality of these people. They are the undesirables and they know it. So we're at the mercy of their socially disconnected morality and there's nothing we can do to change that. Well, we could force people to befriend, love and have sex with them. All fine with that? Nah, didn't think so. So unfortunately this will continue to be a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeseye0 View Post
    Do they have a right to do these things?
    No. Rights are a human construct, we extend rights to other things/beings.

but are we wrong to say they should not be mad for the reasons they are?
    Yes, one would be wrong. People can be mad or feel depressed about anything they wish or whatever reason.

How do we simply tell someone in a situation like that that things will get better, or convince them to follow a moral high ground?
    You don't. The former is dubious and highly subjective, the latter is likewise a human construct. There is no such thing as "right" and "wrong", only what we consider to be so- and this varies wildly.

Every one has a right to be mad, no one has a right to murder people. What a stupid question.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Is this WoW Open PvP related? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Buljo View Post
    Right or wrong only exist in the context of adhering to the constitution of society.

It's not inherently wrong or right to murder, rape, steal or whatever else we consider a breach of morality. Naturally it's just a means to an end. What makes it wrong in society is that we have agreed to peacefully coexist with each other in exchange to be removed from the natural order. Breaking this agreement by robbing people of the safety and freedom this agreement is supposed to bring is what is considered morally wrong. Empowering this agreement by helping or enabling those who adhere to it is what is considered morally right. Our concept of morality is a shared one, it's a communal concept. Not a universal one.

When you are disconnected or in disagreement with society then you're not part of it. It's just you. Now, if it's just you, then what is right and wrong? Right must then be what is right for you and wrong must be what is wrong for you. This personal morality works exactly the same as our social morality. The only difference being the amount of people it applies to and who it serves. This is an equally valid concept of morality as ours is, in fact, it's exactly the same. It just doesn't serve us and therefor we feel that it's wrong.

The question here isn't how we fix them because they ain't broken. We need to make them feel included in society if we want them to value our rules and principles. And we can't do that because most of the time they are socially and/or physically unattractive and nobody wants to touch them with a ten foot pole. That is the reality of these people. They are the undesirables and they know it. So we're at the mercy of their socially disconnected morality and there's nothing we can do to change that. Well, we could force people to befriend, love and have sex with them. All fine with that? Nah, didn't think so. So unfortunately this will continue to be a thing.

Easy fix. Legalize prostitution and have all the prostitutes go to school to be therapist. You now the perfect tool to fix that crowd of people!

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Every one has a right to be mad, no one has a right to murder people. What a stupid question.
    except, yaknow, when big brother/religion says its ok

Eh, This might be one of my few serious posts. As a child into teenage years I was one of these angry people. I had lost both of my parents and a brother to drugs and then been adopted into a family where I was the only child. Yay! right? wrong my mom divorced my dad because he was a drug addict then I had issues with making friends from the issue of always feeling like I was a problem and angry. Sophmore year of highschool changed my life forever though. The West Nickel Mines School shooting happened and I realized I too could become a person like that if my life didnt change. I joined lacrosse that winter for conditioning and made a bunch of friends. Basically, I realized that if I didnt want to be angry I needed to change my life the best I could and it worked. Some people I feel though are either to far gone or just are convinced their the victim and that their life isnt worth anything. The shootings where kid's go and shoot the bully or kill the bullies is another thing. I believe that it's partially the teacher's and parent's fault for not realizing the traits of a bullied child. Not even 10% but in some way because of the way people are realizing the general effect of bullying to a child.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    If someone isn't happy with their life they should either A) attempt to make it better or B) end their life. You can be made about anything, it doesn't make your actions just.
    Ending your life only shifts the depression to others. It doesn't solve anything.
    At least that's what I tell myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You don't. The former is dubious and highly subjective, the latter is likewise a human construct. There is no such thing as "right" and "wrong", only what we consider to be so- and this varies wildly.
    So, basically Adolf Hitler (yup, bringing Hitler into this thread) was just as moral of a person as Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., and Mother Theresa?

- - - Updated - - -

So its just a matter of might makes right then? Since we must be the ones that extend our right to them? What if they simply haven't extended us our right to not be murdered?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

It ends it for you.
    I'm not condoning suicide but I have been at the point where the nothing I feel has lead me to think it wouldn't matter to anyone whether I am around or not. For many years the only reason I lived was to see my kids hit 18, at that point they will have their own lives and won't need me. When they do hit 18 in a few years time I wonder if I will survive or not if it is at a reasonably high point in the long cycle bi-polar I have I probably will if it isn't I likely won't. Even at this point when I am fairly good the best I can feel is not nothing, I don't actually feel accomplishment, I don't feel joy, I feel at most a muted sense of life not being completely pointless. Do I think anyone has the right to take someone else's potential for life, accomplishment or joy, not a chance. Do I also feel that someone who goes out of their way to destroy those in another deserves to be put down like a dangerous animal, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    So, basically Adolf Hitler (yup, bringing Hitler into this thread) was just as moral of a person as Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., and Mother Theresa?

- - - Updated - - -

So its just a matter of might makes right then? Since we must be the ones that extend our right to them? What if they simply haven't extended us our right to not be murdered?
    morality is 100% subjective

/30 chars

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakeseye0 View Post
    All these people that go off and kill people because they aren't loved, can't get a GF, think they have horrible lives. Do they have a right to do these things? I mean they are wrong, but are we wrong to say they should not be mad for the reasons they are? How do we simply tell someone in a situation like that that things will get better, or convince them to follow a moral high ground?

I mean how do you convince someone they are wrong/will be wrong, when everyone else is wrong to them in their minds? I mean we can't even show them what someone that suppose to function normally looks like, without further triggering them.

... I will state that absolutely being upset is a justifiable response to a life that isn't going well by our standards. More over our culture offers few alternatives that are socially acceptable if one fails at some things. If you can't get girls what else can you do that doesn't make you a social pariah or anachronistic?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dbudd424 View Post
    Easy fix. Legalize prostitution and have all the prostitutes go to school to be therapist. You now the perfect tool to fix that crowd of people!
    Not even kidding, I think legalized prostitution and legalized marijuana would be a huge step in the right direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    don't be mad get glad trash bags. couldn't resist.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

They have a right to be mad, but not to impact anyone else's life because of it. I've been in all those scenarios (and still feel that way sometimes), and haven't ever thought of shooting a random individual because of it.

Not everyone is fit for the rat race. That's all there is to it.

They have a right to be mad. But taking it out on innocent people who had nothing to do with it is wrong, especially killing them over it. Who is he to take their lives out because he's pissed off at something? There are better ways to vent your frustration then murdering people.

everyone has a right to be mad. it doesn't even matter if what their are mad about is justified or simply in their heads.

however - your freedom ends where another person's freedom begins. so they have NO right to take out their anger on other people.

they do because in our current climate we give them so much attention, it justifies it in their minds. "they will FINALLY pay attention to me, and try to figure out how I tick" for weeks. and weeks. and weeks.

its like feeding the trolls but with deadly horrible consequences.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2015-10-02 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    morality is 100% subjective

/30 chars
    Is there any empirical evidence for that claim? As it stands, you can't prove it one way or another.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Yes, one would be wrong. People can be mad or feel depressed about anything they wish or whatever reason.

Sometimes I think you just regurgitate dribble to hear yourself talk (type).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Is there any empirical evidence for that claim? As it stands, you can't prove it one way or another.
    Morality isn't a tangible object, it's a construct of the human mind. Thus, subjective. Pretty cut and dry.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics