First time PC builder... Need some help

pcpartpicker.com/p/zQ3fTW

Hello MMO-Champion,

First time poster to this website. I've spent a few days over a few different websites trying to come up with a build... You can see I mostly settled on the recent "setup of the month" Unicorn build. I've never built a PC before and I was looking at places that do 'custom' PCs like iBuyPower but after reading reviews it seems like they're pretty much garbage.

>Is it really 'like legos' when it comes to plugging in and setting up a PC from scratch with all the parts?
    >Do I need to buy extra wires and stuff or will buying all the components come with what I need and then I just plug and chug?
    >i7 v. i5? Do I really not need the 6700? I don't do video rendoring and/or streaming but I have always wanted to record my fights/matches of games.
    >960 2gb v. 980 4gb? I was considering doing the i7 with the 960 but I got laughed at in /vg/ so I switched these around.
    EDIT, forgot to ask: >Why aren't liquid cooled fans listed for heatsink options? I always thought those were better.

Critique everything please. Need help here, obviously.

Thanks.

P.S. As for the things specifically requested in the sticky:
    Budget - ~1500 not including monitor (probably going to buy an ultra-wide since I don't want dual-monitors)
    Resolution - See above
    Games / Settings Desired - anything current on near highest settings, mostly looking for longevity in that I can use this machine for ~4-5 years before needing to fully upgrade.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - Multi-boxing old WoW expansions, having lots of tabs, applications running, etc.
    Country - Muh Freedums land of the USA
    Parts that can be reused - Nothing specific. Coming from a 2009 'gaming' laptop. Planning to carry over my Razer Deathadder and that's pretty much it.
    Do you need an OS? Yes. It's in the partpicker link. I'm not a fan of pirating (sue me).
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? Yes, taking reqs. for which ultra-wide monitor to get. Keyboard is listed in the partpicker link. Speakers I was wondering which of those to get (does the wattage really only affect maximum sound or?)
    Last edited by Shadowdjinni; 2015-10-02 at 06:12 AM.

Deleted
    - Yeap its lego's, my 6yo son wants to play too.
    - For gaming the i5 is enough
    - You only need a philips screwdriver.
    - About the gpu, it depends on the resolution and the budget. If you grabbing a new monitor, will suggest one, the gpu on the list below will play nice with it.
    - Main rig with keyboard is around 1500 as requested, the rest is the 1440p monitor. If you still want go to an ultra wide you will spend more, but think about it and we can go from there.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.95 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($145.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card ($459.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($93.89 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Dell U2515H 60Hz 25.0" Monitor ($350.65 @ Amazon)
    Keyboard: Logitech G710 Plus Wired Gaming Keyboard ($93.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1867.19
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-02 03:05 EDT-0400

Great, thank you for the quick reply.

It looks simple enough to put together and I've tinkered around with my old laptop that I can recognize parts of what is what. I'm just worried about breaking something while I'm putting it all together. Obviously I don't plan to force anything into a particular place, I'm just the epitome of murphy's law.

You said i5 over i7 'for gaming' but does that include video capturing while I'm playing?

For the GPU, resolution, and monitor. From what I'm understanding, I need to make sure the GPU will support the resolution I want and then find a monitor that does that? Aka that's why you picked the 980 over the 970 and that particular monitor?

I know absolutely nothing about motherboards. Why the Gigabite GA-Z170x versus the Asus one listed on the 'Unicorn' setup build? I only ask because the iBuyPower custom/pre-built hybrid I was creating actually used the mo-bo that you recommended versus the Asus (which IBP actually listed as a monetary upgrade). Is it apples to apples essentially or?

250gb v. 256gb SSD? Is it worth paying $40USD less for 6gb less of space or does this really make a difference having more space?

For the PSU, is 550W enough? I changed from the 750W one listed on the Unicorn build to a different 750W that is modular and Gold. EVGA brand.

Thanks for the keyboard, monitor, and OS lists but I'm gonna stick with the corsair, (still shopping for which I want), and W10 Pro over Home.

Deleted
    Yes i5 is enough for gaming, with nvidia in particular you can use shadowplay that comes with the card. Has minimal impact @ performance.

About the mobo, its simply cheaper, you don't loose out on something, quality is similar.

6gb is not worth considering when buying an ssd unless it was on same price. Samsung pro is definately not worth the money performannce wise, you will notice 0 difference, you would see pro being a little faster on a benchmark only, not in real life situation.

The rig above will use around 350watt at full load. I got a very good 550w in there which provide alot of headroom for overclocks, age degradation etc. Manufacturers often suggest alot bigger psu's to negate the crappy ones. There are alot psu's in the market rated as 700w while actually being around 500-550w only. What you do look at is how many amps the 12v rail(s) can provide.

About the monitor, its a 1440p monitor not 1080p hence the gtx980 to give you that little extra performance. A gtx970 will struggle at some games @ 1440p. To say that you would want to play all games max at 1440p even a gtx980 ti would be a better fit, but its far more expensive. The dell is 25" not the usual 27" so that will help abit with a gtx980.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-10-02 at 07:38 AM.