Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Harry Potter fans Help me out Here!

Alright I confess: I've never - not once - watched a Harry Potter film, but now I'm getting the urge to. For me, I have to wait until I really, really want to watch a new series before I begin it, otherwise I won't enjoy it and will pay more attention to the tropes than the actual story. (All I know is that there is this guy and this other guy and this girl who go to a mage college-castle and there's this vampire called Voldemorte who's the bad guy, and that's litterally it. Oh, and people on broom sticks flying through hoops). Before I queue them up on Netflix, I need some input.

First of all, there's eight films I believe? (That's ALOT!) Where do I start? I assume the first film is going to be the first film, but prequels happen so I just need to make sure. Are there extended editions like Lord of the Rings? Anything to take note of so I understand the story? Recommendations? (No, I am not going to read any books; I'm still only half way through Dune and after that I have Ravenor vs. Eisenhorn Part 2 to read).

Thanks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_...film_series%29 - wiki page telling you the order of films to watch

Just watch them in order. They kind of form a pyramid of quality, though. The first and last ones are pretty much the worst, with the middle section being the best. So you have to suffer through a bit at the beginning and really need to like the series by the end to finish it.

Wow, the college was a real model? I love when production does that!

seriously man, just try the 1st book! its short and if it dosent hook you quick drop it. a 2 hour investment.

but yea failing that start at the 1st, but I warn you for non HP fans the first couple movies are not gonna entertain you. IMO only the last 3 films stand on their own as good films in their own right.

Fuck movies, go for the books.

Deleted
    I wouldn't consider myself a Harry Potter fan at all in that I've only seen the movies and haven't read the books, but they do drag you in. The music is very iconic and I'm always impressed how atmospheric the movies are. I watched each one at the time when they came out at the cinema but since then I've watched the entire series twice as an adult. If you're planning to do a marathon the only thing you need to prepare yourself for is the change in tone as the movies progress. The first, second and to a lesser extent the third are obviously done with child actors and are very cheesey. If you can get past that you'll be surprised how much darker they get.

There're no prequels in Harry Potter movies. A "Fantastic Beasts..." movie is in production which is set in Harry Potter universe in an earlier time period but I don't think it will have any other connection to the main Harry Potter series.
    Imo, all the movies have more or less the same quality despite different tones but be mindful that especially first few movies are tuned for a younger audience.
    If you want to learn more about the universe you should definitely read the books though. Movies contain all the major events but books has the information that fill the blanks. Books are similarly written to be enjoyed by young people so they are easy read, you can finish all 7 of them very easily.

Deleted
    Watch them in order, as you (and the movies) grow up. The first are brighter, younger etc. About halfway through they're all a bit older, more serious and darker as the imminent threat gets closer and more real. I'm more a fan of the later movies myself, but they form a great series.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Fuck movies, go for the books.
    I don't know, I'd defo recommend reading the books, but that being said I watched one and two then started reading the books, I was hooked,

The films up to 4 I'd say, did the books justice, 5 and 6 were good films but left out so much from the books, 7/8 were very good I found, it included most of what was in the books but left out two crucial bits in my opinion but I wouldn't berate them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Nostalgic View Post
    ... I'm still only half way through Dune ...
    Wait, more importantly you're half way through the first Dune book, or you're half way through the 18 odd books?

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I don't know, I'd defo recommend reading the books, but that being said I watched one and two then started reading the books, I was hooked,

The films up to 4 I'd say, did the books justice, 5 and 6 were good films but left out so much from the books, 7/8 were very good I found, it included most of what was in the books but left out two crucial bits in my opinion but I wouldn't berate them
    I still haven't forgiven them for not given Kreacher a meaningful arc and showing him leading the house elves into the battle against the death eaters.

Read the books instead.

Other than that, just watch them in order. Also, Voldemort isn't a vampire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Nostalgic View Post
    All I know is that there is this guy and this other guy and this girl who go to a mage college-castle and there's this vampire called Voldemorte who's the bad guy, and that's litterally it. Oh, and people on broom sticks flying through hoops
    That may be the best description of Harry Potter I've ever read... Wrong on so many levels but fucking hilariously put.

I'm Actually going to recommend you watch the films... Yes, they're kinda garbage, but there ARE some good points. The thing is, if you watch them after you've read the books, they'll seem like even more garbage. So watch the films THEN read the books and see how it was meant to be.

As to the viewing/reading order:
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher(Sorceror for yanks)'s stone.
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (worst one, bear with it, it gets a bit better from here.)
    Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban (has 1000% more Gary Oldman than the previous films, making it 1000% better.)
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (this is where shit gets real.)
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (this one is in a life or death scrap with Chamber of Secrets for the title of worst in the series.)
    Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (or as I call it, Harry Potter and the Half Made Movie, a solid third in the worse film stakes.)
    Harry Potter and the Death Hallows part 1&2 (the final showdown!, part 2 is EASILY the best of the series, my only problems with it were based on shit they'd screwed up in the previous films.)

So yeah... Queue em up on Netflix, burn through them in a mildly disappointing weekend, then pick up the series on your Kindle (other E-Readers do exist, this statement is in no way an endorsement of Kindle E-readers) and enjoy the series as it was meant to be experienced.

Then make sure you ignore everything J.K. Rowling has "Revealed" about the series since they finished, she's almost as bad as George Lucas when it comes to pointless RetCons.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    Wait, more importantly you're half way through the first Dune book, or you're half way through the 18 odd books?
    Halfway through the original 6 book saga by Herbert.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    That may be the best description of Harry Potter I've ever read... Wrong on so many levels but fucking hilariously put.
    I take it then, that either 1. I ridiculously far off or 2. I nailed it spot on? I honestly can't tell!

I'm Actually going to recommend you watch the films... Yes, they're kinda garbage, but there ARE some good points. The thing is, if you watch them after you've read the books, they'll seem like even more garbage. So watch the films THEN read the books and see how it was meant to be.

Then make sure you ignore everything J.K. Rowling has "Revealed" about the series since they finished, she's almost as bad as George Lucas when it comes to pointless RetCons.
    You make it sounds like it's the worst fantasy film franchise since the Star Wars prequels. Should I be afraid?

10+ Year Old Account

I'm Actually going to recommend you watch the films... Yes, they're kinda garbage, but there ARE some good points. The thing is, if you watch them after you've read the books, they'll seem like even more garbage. So watch the films THEN read the books and see how it was meant to be..
    "Kinda garbage"
    What the fuck are you on?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    "Kinda garbage"
    What the fuck are you on?
    To be fair, some of them are kinda garbage. I agree with him that 5 and 6 are downright abysmal, though I disagree with him on chamber of secrets.

10+ Year Old Account
    You all sound so bitter to me. Yeah, One and Two have a lot of the issues that new series usually do, but the rest are fucking fantasitic. Reading the books beforehand just made them seem even better. OP, I would definitely reccommend both binge watching the entire movie series and reading all the books. Still one of the best series I've ever read, period.
    "All of Time and Space. Everything that ever was or ever will be. Where do you want to start?"

"We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

I think the older ones are kinda bad because it was largely unknown kids who didn't really know how to act....but they all matured into really decent-to-good actors.

And then there's the creepy moment in like Prisoner of Azkhaban (third movie) when you realize Hermione is going to be hot, when she punches Draco in the face.

As for the OP, just start from the beginning. I think the "lore" of the story kind of gets lost in the last movie (and the last book, to be fair), but whatever. That's on Rowling for not sticking the landing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think the older ones are kinda bad because it was largely unknown kids who didn't really know how to act....but they all matured into really decent-to-good actors.

And then there's the creepy moment in like Prisoner of Azkhaban (third movie) when you realize Hermione is going to be hot, when she punches Draco in the face.

As for the OP, just start from the beginning. I think the "lore" of the story kind of gets lost in the last movie (and the last book, to be fair), but whatever. That's on Rowling for not sticking the landing.
    Being 3 years younger than Emma Watson: nothing creepy about that.