explain to me the basics of a DK

So, I've never made it out of the starting quest zone with a DK, I usually make one when im drunk and delete him later. For some reason I can't wrap my mind around the skills and how to use them. no Idea why. I pretty much always smash them all and things happen. I main/raid on a monk, so I dont think i'm stupid but for some reason I can't make sense of the DK, even from the get go.

someone please explain the playstyle and approach to the skills to me.

I suggest starting with dual wield frost. Watch this: www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=rGAeuCWSb4U It isn't fantastic, but it details pretty good.
    Get an addon that looks after your dps priority and procs. If you want to old school it, get SimulationCraft, run it on your toon, then scroll down to "Action Priority List" and follow that priority, top to bottom as it applies to your talent choices.

Do this, and you'll be in the forty or fiftieth percentile. ;-) To go beyond this, main the DK for 4-5 years, learn unholy, be awesome.

Deleted
    DK is surprisingly simpler than you think because the "complexity" comes from having to monitor runes and runic power. If you want it to be super simple and predictive, dont take blood tap. Theres nothing more easy. Perhaps what doesnt click with you, and hasnt with me for a while is that there are times in wich you dont have anything to do. But with gear that goes away as you get more runic power from multistrikes.
    With that said, who knows how its going to turn out with the removal of multistrike. Frost really is super simple though. you only need 3 buttons (and the 1m CD).

I have both a monk and a DK (dw frost) and they are very similar. (My bars are comically similar.) Runic Power is basically chi, and rune regen is basically energy. Build up runic power with Howling Blast, Plague Strike, Obliterate, then dump runic power with frost strike. Other than that, just always click the shiny things.

Unholy is close too. Apply diseases, use scourge strike and festering strike (single target) or blood boil (aoe) to build RP, then use death coil to dump RP. Use gargoyle like you would Xuen, and click your Dark Transformation when it flashes.

I'd agree don't start with blood tap. Getting a rune tracking addon helps too.

Leveling a DK and having one at max level is a totally different feel. I have always wanted to make an Alliance DK but never really get out of the start area either.

DK's more or less break down very simply.
    Spend runes to gain runic power, spend runic power to hasten return of runes.

When you're max level things just make more sense for a DK, you have all your main abilties and your flow to the rotation becomes super smooth. Outside of max level though you can't get that sense of a flow because the abilities you don't have yet are what are making those holes.

That's how I would explain it in this situation though, cus unless you try it at max level you're always guna get that funky weird feeling from em.

DK is basically non-functional until you hit 60 and get your rune management talent. If it doesn't seem to click for you then it may be because you haven't actually gotten to the point where you can generate your primary resource in a workable fashion.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

10+ Year Old Account
    As the others said, avoid blood tap.

Deleted
    Use the skills that do most damage, if you can't use other skills that are still available. Really - rune system isn't really anything interesting or special anymore. People who still calculate stuff min/max less then one % more out of it.

Thanks for the help guys, that does make me feel better that it plays funny. just need to hit 60 and then push on.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    Leveling a DK and having one at max level is a totally different feel. I have always wanted to make an Alliance DK but never really get out of the start area either.

DK's more or less break down very simply.
    Spend runes to gain runic power, spend runic power to hasten return of runes.

When you're max level things just make more sense for a DK, you have all your main abilties and your flow to the rotation becomes super smooth. Outside of max level though you can't get that sense of a flow because the abilities you don't have yet are what are making those holes.

That's how I would explain it in this situation though, cus unless you try it at max level you're always guna get that funky weird feeling from em.
    Very well said 10/10
    Noblood US-Illidan Logs

Why is blood tap not recommended for beginners? If your abilities are showing CDs, nothing to press then blood tap to keep going? Without capping charges, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Why is blood tap not recommended for beginners? If your abilities are showing CDs, nothing to press then blood tap to keep going? Without capping charges, of course.
    It's another element to keep track of that, while if it's used correctly can give you a smooth clean rotation, if not used correctly it's just a hindrance. Runic Corruption gives a good feel/flow to your rotation (especially for a beginner), and requires no tracking at all. Just a matter of taking things in strides, get used to the play style then make it more challenging with BT management.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Having to control your rune generation is an extra thing to think about compared to having it just happen, and the benefits of blood tap are so minimal that if you ever make a mistake with it you're probably losing damage compared to what you'd be doing with the other talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    It's another element to keep track of that, while if it's used correctly can give you a smooth clean rotation, if not used correctly it's just a hindrance. Runic Corruption gives a good feel/flow to your rotation (especially for a beginner), and requires no tracking at all. Just a matter of taking things in strides, get used to the play style then make it more challenging with BT management.
    I started leveling a new DK, and honestly I find BT a godsend for leveling. It helps fill all the down time. Leveling as Blood at the moment. But I may be biased because I've become accustomed to it from playing with BT at max level.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    DK is basically non-functional until you hit 60 and get your rune management talent. If it doesn't seem to click for you then it may be because you haven't actually gotten to the point where you can generate your primary resource in a workable fashion.
    Unholy picks up a lot with Sudden Doom at 64 and Frost with Killing Machine at 63. Blood stays slow until you get some Multistrike. Not that it matters because you kill most stuff in a couple GCDs anyway.

I have alot of great content that can assist you if you ever get free time. (HypeDoWnTv)

Quote Originally Posted by HypeDoWn View Post
    I have alot of great content that can assist you if you ever get free time. (HypeDoWnTv)
    Just a note that if you advertise like this you'll get noticed by the mods ^^