Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Fashion Statement: "Human Backpacks"

https://www.yahoo.com/style/rick-owe...191330683.html

Humans In Harnesses Are The Hot Accessory At Rick Owens

His latest runway spectacle was called “Cyclops,” but instead of one-eyed creatures clomping down the runway, he sent models out with what can only be classified as human backpacks.

While a trio of gospel singers sang about “Protecting land and how it’s ours to preserve,” models appeared with local gymnasts strapped to them like giant harnessed babies— they hung over the shoulders, upside down, butts and legs sticking out in all different angles.

Was this an art project? (The configurations evoked the work of artist Allen Jones or the Chapman brothers.) Or was this some kind of environmental statement? In the press release, Owens spoke of the nurturing ways of women, and the straps as “cradling.”

“It’s so glamorous and so beautiful,” a seemingly emotional [Jada Pinkett] Smith told Yahoo Style. “This is my first show of his and it just validates why I love him so much. It was such a poignant idea, that this land is ours and this is what we have to do for each other.” And since this is Paris fashion week, she quickly added, “On top of that looking good while doing it.”

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2...-catwalk-stunt

It was quite Leigh Bowery and, according to critics in the room, felt “moving,” “disquieting” and “impressive”. It was also “a tribute to female strength” that “suggested the physical labours of pregnancy”.

Jezebel’s analysis doesn’t feel too bawdy given that Owens’s last big catwalk caper involved male full-frontal nudity – models wore outfits with crotch holes cut out – and precipitated a media furore. But while the mainstream press was giggling, critics celebrated the show’s brave take on the themes of “compression” and “pressure built up in silent vessels filled with energy”.
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2015-10-03 at 08:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, cool, now we can walk down the street and 69 at the same time.

Appreciation for fashion must be something you're born with. I don't get it, but that's okay. I'm sure these people don't get why MMO players do what we do either.

Also don't eat taco bell before cyclops-ing.

“a tribute to female strength” that “suggested the physical labours of pregnancy”
    If they say so, I guess. Looks like some kind of fetish rig for oral service.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

That lady in the photo is trying not to burst into giggles.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksie View Post
    Appreciation for fashion must be something you're born with. I don't get it, but that's okay. I'm sure these people don't get why MMO players do what we do either.

Also don't eat taco bell before cyclops-ing.
    I never understood fashion either.... A bunch of stick figure, starved models wearing clothes no one would actually wear.... Yeah, makes sense. The only way I can even remotely understand it is to view it as a show, like the circus or something.

For the lesbian that wants to eat on the go?.

Deleted
    I've generally always been of the stance that these fashion displays are conceptual representations of abstract ideas behind potential fashion trends. It's like an artistic expression of fashion that hasn't yet been absorbed and refined to a point of becoming practical clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    I never understood fashion either.... A bunch of stick figure, starved models wearing clothes no one would actually wear.... Yeah, makes sense. The only way I can even remotely understand it is to view it as a show, like the circus or something.
    I do like how the suspended woman is in heels but the poor lady playing packmule at least got to wear flats. Even if they are hideous, remind me of Roman Legionnaire sandals and make her feet look overly mannish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

When fashion stops being fashion and becomes bullshit instead. It's like terrible terrible art. Funny that there is enough sycophants in the fashion world to enable the designer though and tell them this wasn't the stupidest thing they've seen all year though.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Owens spoke of the nurturing ways of women, and the straps as “cradling.”

Yeah, of course, I remember all those Women walking around with their children hanging upside down.

Fashion trying to be relevant and failing hard.

It's a mix between finding women strong enough to do this, someone willing to be a piece of living fashion, and also able to hang upside down like that while moving for extended periods of time. I don't think anyone has to worry about this catching on.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who think an idea is more important than execution.

Nothing new in the "art" world.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    I think the "critics" are actually trolls who praise dumb people just to laugh at them and everyone falls for it. There's a point where it's not fashion/art anymore but rather it's ridiculous and dumb.

Human centipede part 4.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I think the "critics" are actually trolls who praise dumb people just to laugh at them and everyone falls for it. There's a point where it's not fashion/art anymore but rather it's ridiculous and dumb.
    Art can be ridiculous and dumb. It doesn't have to be good to be art.

Hard to take this seriously.

Plus her ass doesn't even look nice, its gross. Like a power lifters ass. with an abnormally large gap for some reason.

Deleted
    I can't help but think that fashion is just superficial "marketing art" for the frivolous and the stupid.

Of course I would welcome being proven wrong, but really I can't see redeeming qualities to it - and occasions like this one just illustrate my impression perfectly.

There's nothing wrong with wearing decent clothes and packaging the human form in a beautiful manner.

But haute couture and these sorts of pretentious displays just don't really mean anything.

That fashion designer is a troll xD