Deleted

Why are simple minded people so happy?

"- I'll tell you why. Because they don't know how hard life is when they are so kind to other people. They don't know they will become miserable anyway."

"- But wait a second, they are happy, so something is wrong."

Food for thought.

People treat simple minded people well. They're not a threat.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I've noticed for things like T.V. shows, some people will be entertained by their favorite show, no matter what they put out on it. While others will just pick it apart, pointing out everything bad about the program rather than enjoying it as a fan.

It may be simple minded, but I'm glad I get the most out of these shows.

Deleted
    Children are the happiest humans because they don't really know about the bad stuff (and I really think parents shouldn't tell them).

Once you know about stuff like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34432471

It's harder to be permanently and unshakingly ecstatic.

Whereas kids can just run around in oblivious and happy innocence. And that's a good thing. I guess simple people are the same.
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2015-10-03 at 09:44 AM.

Deleted
    Over the last year of so I've intentionally been reducing the amount of news I read, the amount of time I spend online, the number of communities I interact with on a regular basis to as few as possible. A kind of self imposed semi ignorance if you like. I can safely say I've never been happier.

I still follow my interests in literature, gaming, technology and science but I've completely stopped following politics and world events at any serious level outside of the occasional glance at a news paper and the odd Youtube video. I still follow it vaguely because I should, at some level as an adult, know about these things but it's not nearly as significant as it used to be. It's the best decision I've ever made. My anxiety has gone, I'm more interested in gaming which had been on a serious decline for a number of years and overall my contentedness has gone up dramatically.

I've also withdrawn from every online community I was in except for two and I only use the remaining two on a sporadic basis. Again it's made a huge improvement to my life. Being bombarded with negativity relentlessly is not good for me.

They say ignorance is bliss. As long as it's not taken too far I'm not sure that's such a bad thing.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ignorance is bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    People treat simple minded people well. They're not a threat.
    Yea, no.

In American the simple minded types are despised by the so called intellectual elite.

And of course its a line drawn through political affiliation.

The southerns, the flyover states, these people are looked down upon because they don't own a Prius.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Deleted
    Because tehy are incapable of planning ahead and therefore can live solely in the moment.
    It's pretty easy to be happy if you only live now and in general don't think.

The OP is a rather vague generalization. What defines simple minded? How do you know they are necessarily happy? Is this broadly observable base on the last two things?

Really not a lot to go on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Ignorance is bliss.
    However, the above can be anecdotally said of many humans.

Deleted
    I think people like to simplify the life of so called "simple minded people". As if they're constantly happy, unknowing of the harsh world they actually live in. I find it very hard to believe that anyone in todays world (granted west civ) could possibly avoid the global reality.

For the term "ignorance is bliss" (vague, i know) to be applicable it requires you to be somewhat "uneducated", lacking the knowledge to fully comprehend your surrounding. But how could someone lack the knowledge of the worlds atrocities in todays society, with Facebook and television being so easily accessible, even the most "simple minded" must be somewhat informed.

So are the ignorant, the simple minded of today really the happiest? Or are they the ones who are actually the most vocal about their unhappiness?

Could it be that the former "happy fool" just does not exist in todays society, atleast not to the same extent that he used to?
    Last edited by mmoc43ed3fcd49; 2015-10-03 at 11:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    "- I'll tell you why. Because they don't know how hard life is when they are so kind to other people. They don't know they will become miserable anyway."

"- But wait a second, they are happy, so something is wrong."

Food for thought.
    Simple minded people are so happy because they don't see the shit going wrong in this world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ceyox View Post
    I think people like to simplify the life of so called "simple minded people". As if they're constantly happy, unknowing of the harsh world they actually live in. I find it very hard to believe that anyone in todays world (granted west civ) could possibly avoid the global reality.

The term "ignorance is bliss" requires you to be somewhat "uneducated", lacking the knowledge to fully comprehend your surrounding. But how could someone lack the knowledge of the worlds atrocities in todays society, with Facebook and television being so easily accessible, even the most "simple minded" must be somewhat informed.

So are the ignorant, the simple minded of today really the happiest? Or are they the ones who are actually the most vocal about their unhappiness?

Could it be that the former "happy fool" just does not exist in todays society, atleast not to the same extent that he used to?
    They are the ones voting for Donald Trump, because hey.........all this countries problems stem from foreigners.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    Simple minded people are so happy because they don't see the shit going wrong in this world.

- - - Updated - - -

They are the ones voting for Donald Trump, because hey.........all this countries problems stem from foreigners.
    You think they're happy, and voting for trump because they're... Wait for it... Unhappy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it's like they say "ignorance is bliss". The way I see it though if they're happy then what's the problem? What bothers me the most are the people who care about other people's business. Who cares? Worry about yourself. Does someone else's happiness bother people so much? All that matters is that the person is happy. We need more people like this rather than the cynical radical thinkers that have to question everything like "what's the point of this?" and "why are people so damn happy?!".

I think the real question here would be why are people so miserable?
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

is not needing anything simple? I wish..

10+ Year Old Account
    fears <> intelligence

there's a connection.

Look that one up, and you will get your answers.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    In American the simple minded types are despised by the so called intellectual elite.
    I wouldn't say they despise you, Zombergy.

Yeah, OP needs to define "simple minded". To me it means "mentally handicapped".

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I'd argue that being mean is easier.
    of course it is
    lack of empathy, compassion and generally going through ones day essentially rude is much easier.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Simple-minded people lacks the ability to measure quality, so they are content with whatever they have.

Same principle why gross humour and dumb movies are appreciated by people who tend to be not very smart, while more intelligent ones tend to require more refined forms of entertainment.