Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do you think Youtube 'celebrities' will eventually die out?

Or are they here to stay forever? What's your view?

Deleted
    I think that they're here to stay. I mean maybe some time down the line youtube may be replaced and such celebrities will come from a different platform, but yes internet celebrities are here to stay. The internet is increasingly meshing with and obsoleting other forms of entertainment so these youtube celebs will become ever more indistinguishable from standard celebrities.

Deleted
    I don't know, I don't really see online celebrities becoming bigger than movie stars. Perhaps on par with reality TV though

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they are only relevant to people who actually pay attention to such things, i never even heard about it and i watch quite a bit of media.

7+ Year Old Account
    Celebrities are still a thing, so as long as Youtube is relevant, yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Here to stay, youtube is very convenient.

The medium might change (Like some people stream on twitch instead and what not), but the idea of an internet celebrity won't.

Considering I'll ground my kids if they watch Pewdiepie's crap, yes.

Eventually this or that will die out, but more scenarios will popup, of course depending on time and what the future holds.

10+ Year Old Account
    They've had a Youtube celeb as one of the hosts last weekend at the GlobalCitizen Festival in NYC. He's been doing that already the year before.

So, I guess the answer is: Maybe, it depends.

It's whether an online celeb can make it outside of the online environment, into real life exposure.
    Some might, some never will.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

7+ Year Old Account
    They sure will have a lot of crazy fans even after stop working with their channels, but nowadays people get bored pretty fast. The majority of the viewers will move on to another stuff unless the youtubers keep innovating and adapting to the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Not all youtubers are Pewdiepie you know.

Personally I prefer JonTron and Game Grumps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Or are they here to stay forever? What's your view?
    Here to stay as long as people watch or care.

Other than Mark Wiens, I have never recalled a YouTuber's name. This Pewdiepie guy is hilarious. Might reconsider my opinions of streamers now...

Deleted
    What's GlobalCitizen Festival exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really see the appeal of 90% of them, but then again im 29. I just don't really see the appeal, especially when they're just spouting opinions

10+ Year Old Account
    This just sounds way too harsh.. Kinda like the Mother who broke her daughters Game boy for playing Pokemon

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I foresee them only getting bigger as the internet and newer generations continue to expand technology wise.

Deleted
    Actually it depends, I could probably get behind a Youtube celebrity because of a talent, but not because they exaggerate a persona for attention

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    This just sounds way too harsh.. Kinda like the Mother who broke her daughters Game boy for playing Pokemon
    I don't know he's pretty damn annoying and doesn't portray Sweeden well, unless most Swedes try to act American and have ridiculous voices

Deleted
    Concept. No, there will always be celebrities when it comes to large numbers watching something.

Specific Celebrities. Possible, Someone like Pewdiepie works since he is still relatively young, when he is older he would probably need to evolve or he becomes a weird 'dad' like figure acting like a child. The make-up girls there idea's will change from what girls will like and it will be seen as "mum make-up"

But that doesn't mean by the time that happens they won't adapt to different media or content

Deleted
    Youtube celebs (or internet celebs for that matter) are here to stay.

There isn't even much question about it. The lower grade TV celebs (like show hosts and newscasters for example, which are already fairly unknown to the younger generation) will eventually get replaced by internet celebs since more and more people are switching away from traditional television.

The number of celebs isn't changing, the medium they appear in is.