SSD and Sata express

Hi everyone,

Quick question. If i have 2 samsung 512 840 pro ssd and a asus z170-a mobo, i plan on raid 0. Do i need to use the sata express ports or the sata III ports?

- - - Updated - - -

Also what about not using raid 0... would it be better to just use sata express?

SATA Express is for SATA Express drives, plugging your SATA3 SSD into it will do nothing other than make it not work.

In short, yes use the SATA 3 ports. RAID 0 will see some benefits in performance.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    SATA Express is for SATA Express drives, plugging your SATA3 SSD into it will do nothing other than make it not work.

In short, yes use the SATA 3 ports. RAID 0 will see some benefits in performance.
    Sorry but it don't work like that. A sata express port contains 2x sata3 6gbps ports.
    By your logic my z170xp-sli has no where to plug any regular sata drives. /sarcasm

@op you really should have just got a single M.2 NVMe if you had that much to blow on storage. Yes it's true you wouldn't get as much capacity for your moolah but it don't come with any drawbacks like raid 0.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    @op you really should have just got a single M.2 NVMe if you had that much to blow on storage. Yes it's true you wouldn't get as much capacity for your moolah but it don't come with any drawbacks like raid 0.
    Well the NVMe drives from Samsung (the only good affordable ones that are easily available at the moment) max out at 512gb, but you can go up to 2 TB for the regular SATA SSDs.

But for performance sake, the NVMe or even AHCI M2 PCIe drives completely blow away the sata drives. You'd need to go to something like 4+ drives and a dedicated raid card to match the PCIe SSD.

Sata Express is, as lockblock already said, a configuration of 3 ports, of which 2 are SataIII. You can use those SataIII like any other SataIII port you'd find on your mainboard.

But, there are some limitaions to some Sata Express ports like on the MSI Z170A Gaming M7, I can only use a certain amount of Sata Epxress Ports while using the M.2 Slots. You can read up on those limitations in your Mainboards Manual.

Why people think that Raid0 has more drawbacks like a SM951 that THERMAL THROTTLES (yes, a fucking SSD that gets to hot FFS) is beyond me.

I use 2 Samsung 850 Evo 512GB SSDs in Raid0

The speeds when it's empty and no software is running in the background: http://imgur.com/nvw7GHI

The speeds with 60% storage used and a few programs running in the background: http://i.imgur.com/8W8Kcwt.png

Of course you could always put 2 SM951 in Raid0 if you are insane enough for such a thing :P