Deleted

New build - No display.

Afternoon folks,

Basically bought a whole new rig that was kindly put together by a fellow mmo champ forum user as I admit did not have the know how.

Put the rig together updated my drivers and was working fine, but today when I powered it up everything in the tower boots up but my monitor just goes straight to " no display" and I'm lost at what I can do. Like I said I reallly do know have the know how on the intricates of how things go together so any help on figureing this out and getting it fixed would greatly be appreciate.

Kind regards

Hey Mc.

I'll start with the trivial but often overlooked options.

1) Try to play with the Source/Input button on your screen - often screens with multiple inputs can switch to an inactive channel such as VGA or HDMI.
    2) Try another display altogether - just to make sure.
    3) Try switching the display cable to make sure it hasn't gone bad.

If these things don't help (and you are getting past your motherboards POST screen) i would try booting in safe mode to rule out a driver issue, you can find information on how to do that using google since it varies in different operating systems. In safe mode you can use System Restore to undo any recent changes that might have caused trouble.

Worst case you can have your friend help you rule POST and BIOS issues if he built the rig he will know his way around it.

Good luck!

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Beckers;36510749]Hey Mc.

I'll start with the trivial but often overlooked options.

1) Try to play with the Source/Input button on your screen - often screens with multiple inputs can switch to an inactive channel such as VGA or HDMI.
    2) Try another display altogether - just to make sure.
    3) Try switching the display cable to make sure it hasn't gone bad.

If these things don't help (and you are getting past your motherboards POST screen) i would try booting in safe mode to rule out a driver issue, you can find information on how to do that using google since it varies in different operating systems. In safe mode you can use System Restore to undo any recent changes that might have caused trouble.

Worst case you can have your friend help you rule POST and BIOS issues if he built the rig he will know his way around it.

Good luck![/QUOTE

Hey man, thanks for the quick reply.

According to my old man ( the builder ) Theres no display at all even straight from the motherboard.

Not sure if that makes any sense? Apologies as I know its hard to pinpoint a problem when its not right in front of you and your having some one with no clue attempting to translate

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you make sure you're connecting the cable at the video card output and not the motherboard?

If you have a graphics card inserted, the mobo will most likely set it as default. Having the cable at the motherboard wouldn't give you any output in this case.

It's a silly mistake but happens sometimes, I'm just guessing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Did you make sure you're connecting the cable at the video card output and not the motherboard?

If you have a graphics card inserted, the mobo will most likely set it as default. Having the cable at the motherboard wouldn't give you any output in this case.

It's a silly mistake but happens sometimes, I'm just guessing.
    Yeah, attempted to boot it up even without the graphics card inserted with just the motherboard and just the same straight to "no display" on the monitor

Do you or someone around you have another PC you can hook the display up to? I would want to see which is faulty, the display or the PC. If the display works then it's to working on the PC, what kind of connection are you using? DVI, HDMI, VGA, Displayport? As the above poster said, double check to see if you've got the correct input/source selected. Does your PC have multiple video connections? If you have a discrete video card (and you should if you're intent on playing games) then you might have multiple connections. Most likely your video card will be mounted perpendicular to the motherboard, so look for those connections... try each one of them if you can. If you have a video connection on your motherboard, try that after the video card. If neither the video card or motherboard work, then I'd chance a guess that the MB could be bad - a bad video card is a possibility, but the onboard video should still work, however if the MB is bad then neither one of them may work. There are plenty more troubleshooting steps, these are just off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Maulis425 View Post
    If the display works then it's to working on the PC, what kind of connection are you using? DVI, HDMI, VGA, Displayport? As the above poster said, double check to see if you've got the correct input/source selected.
    Just to add onto this, if you're not sure OP, just take a picture of where you plug the connector into the GPU, and the connector you have on the monitor and upload them to imgur.com.

Deleted
    Ram

/10 chars