Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Timewalking gear guide for shadow priest? (AS, if possible)

Can anybody of you, experienced theory-crafting people, share your thoughts on subj?

I am very interested in what tier set combos you use, what trinkets you use, what gems you put in your gear and what enchants you use. (For AS, if possible. Hate CoP, sorry )

Thank you.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

I would be interested as well if anybody has some input regarding the matter.

I'd start with Dragonwrath, the Exalted rep ring from Icecrown, the iLvl 715 epic version of the Legendary (the more frequent proc will generally outweigh the Legendary damage boost), Regalia of Tiernon Glory (need pre-WoD gear to enchant, need MoP helm for epic metagem), legendary cloak.

The Dragon Soul trinkets are fairly good as well, although some of the pet-summoning trinkets have had (and may not longer have) scaling issues where the devs forgot to down-scale them.

In general, you need gear with a lot of gem slots and you need pre-WoD gear so you can enchant it (in slots that can't use WoD enchants). However, if you've covered the various legendaries above, you're about 95% of the way to 'perfect gear'.

The weapon enchant falls nicely into the "I dunno" category. My suspicion is that the right WoD enchant is about as good as you can get.

If you don't have Dragonwrath, you can probably get it in under two months solo. Icecrown rep can be ground out in a few hours. The MoP legendaries are unavailable if you don't already have them. A full set of Tiernon Glory would probably take 2-3 runs of SoO if you're not competing for loot (solo'ing it is unlikely, but a small group of 100s can do it easily). Dragon Soul can be solo'd, but Spine of Deathwing is sufficiently annoying that you might want to bring a friend.

Is DPS an issue in TW? I've played both CoP and AS with 0 problems trying to clear.

Quote Originally Posted by djriff View Post
    Is DPS an issue in TW? I've played both CoP and AS with 0 problems trying to clear.
    DPS is not an issue. I just want to impress my guildies and do something like triple the dps they do in timewalking. If that is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by VigilantRose View Post
    I'd start with Dragonwrath, the Exalted rep ring from Icecrown, the iLvl 715 epic version of the Legendary (the more frequent proc will generally outweigh the Legendary damage boost), Regalia of Tiernon Glory (need pre-WoD gear to enchant, need MoP helm for epic metagem), legendary cloak.

The Dragon Soul trinkets are fairly good as well, although some of the pet-summoning trinkets have had (and may not longer have) scaling issues where the devs forgot to down-scale them.

In general, you need gear with a lot of gem slots and you need pre-WoD gear so you can enchant it (in slots that can't use WoD enchants). However, if you've covered the various legendaries above, you're about 95% of the way to 'perfect gear'.

The weapon enchant falls nicely into the "I dunno" category. My suspicion is that the right WoD enchant is about as good as you can get.

If you don't have Dragonwrath, you can probably get it in under two months solo. Icecrown rep can be ground out in a few hours. The MoP legendaries are unavailable if you don't already have them. A full set of Tiernon Glory would probably take 2-3 runs of SoO if you're not competing for loot (solo'ing it is unlikely, but a small group of 100s can do it easily). Dragon Soul can be solo'd, but Spine of Deathwing is sufficiently annoying that you might want to bring a friend.
    What gems are you putting in your gear? Intellect?
    Is there a reason to use SoO tier set?
    Last edited by l33t; 2015-10-05 at 06:50 AM.

Deleted
    The SoO tier set has gem slots coming out of your ears, can be enchanted, is fairly well itemised (crit/mastery) and the set bonus itself is pretty good.

I use a fully optimized COP set for timewalking. I pull generally 13k minimum sustained DPS, sometimes as high as 30k on aoe trash pulls, while dps who don't optimize their sets pull 2-3k by comparison. It's a sound investment if you have a group of people who want to steamroll these instances to farm the mounts.

But if you are serious about doing a lot of dmg in TW, you really don't have an option that isn't COP....sorry. You can't use AS to fast-clear mobs. AS is centered around padding your numbers on adds that are going to be alive for a long time. And the point of optimizing your dmg in timewalking is for them to NOT live a long time. If any of your dps are decent, you probably aren't going to get more than 3 shadow word: pain ticks off on a high-health mob before the entire trash pack is dead, much less have any autistic spirits actually manage to reach their target.

When COP is combined with the shadow set bonuses from SoO it becomes deliciously OP. For AS, there are past-xpac set bonuses that boost the crit % of shadow word: pain, but the stats on these pieces are horrible (e.g. spirit on dps gear, which takes up the room a valid stat could have had) and they don't have as many sockets as the SoO gear, if any sockets at all -- which adds to the hopeless misery of attempting to play AS. Using gear with the maximum number of sockets is going to up your dps by a lot.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...4UXgk/pubhtml#
    This spreadsheet lists all the enchants and gems you should be using. For gems, it's EPIC gems only, no matter what xpac it came from. Pure-int is king, but use hybrid "reckless" gems if you have a good socket bonus to keep.

There are also advantages to using Warlords of Draenor items that "procced" a socket, rather than items that were "intended" to have a socket. WoWhead allows you to look up an item and check a box to see what stats it would have in Wotlk/BC/Cata timewalking respectively -- use it and check it out. Items with sockets generally have less static stats on them (i.e. less int on the item itself) to make up for the sockets, but it's still very very worth having the sockets regardless. You can loophole this, though, by using a WoD item that has an extra socket on it...because it gets the benefit of a socket without the drawback of having its other stats reduced.

PROTIP: Go for haste>mastery, not haste>multi. There isn't any multi on the old-world gear you will be using because it didn't exist until WoD, so don't bother trying to stack it. Even on aoe pulls, heavy mastery is godly when combined with COP and your SoO set bonuses...mind blast will be practically oneshotting the mobs.

My set is as follows...
    (Note - the only way it could be better is if I had Ra-den's haste/mastery legs and used the SoO tier chest instead of tier legs, as I'd gain a socket that way. Sadly I can't solo past Durumu :P)

4pc SoO tier (Helm, Shoulder, Glove, Legs)
    Neck: Socketed Gruul's Lip Ring (But you can use the haste/mastery socketed neck from Dragon Soul, or the JC blue boe crafted "Kuang's Locket of Secrets")
    Cape: Legendary cloak (But you can use Kil'Jaeden's cloak if you don't have it. Despite being a lv70 cloak, WoWhead suggests it gives approx. the same stats as an appropriate-level piece in the wotlk and cata timewalking dungeons)
    Chest: Robes of Riven Dreams (The only alternative I can think of for this is the chest off of Ra-den. It is much easier to buy infinite seals from the vendor and solo LFR Malkorok for these robes -- he is the first boss and you can queue up to kill him over and over and bonus roll infinitely.)
    Bracer: Bracers of Unconquered Power (BoE crafted, Dragon Soul drop recipe. The only 2socketed bracers you can obtain.)
    Belt: Orbital Belt from Elegon (But you can use the Garrosh belt)
    Feet: Kavan's Forsaken Treads (Basically a freebie -- you can buy this for 249g off the Valor vendor in Stormwind/Orgrimmar)

Ring 1: Socketed Uk'urogg's corrupted seal (But you can use Thok's ring or Ring of the Riven from Dragon Soul)
    Ring 2: ilvl715 epic ring from the legendary questline (if you didn't throw it out after you inexplicably got to keep it after getting the legendary)! The legendary ring is worthless, but the proc on this ring is a godly +10% intellect. The poor man's version of this would be the ICC exalted ring.

Trinket 1: Ghost Iron Dragonling with haste/haste/mastery cogwheels. The dragon doesn't attack, but the stats are worth it.
    Trinket 2: Unblinking Gaze of Sethe, preferably a socketed version of any difficulty. This trinket is often on my top dmg done.

Weapon: Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest
    Weapon alternatives: Sha-touched weapon set (if you have the legendary gem), Heroic Nibelung (from ICC), Garrosh heirloom staff (retired), or anything else with lots of sockets.

Glad to get that out of my system. Hope it was helpful

P.S. also worth noting that the legendary staff has some strange interaction with shadow word: death in WoD. Sometimes it lets you cast it only once when you should have been able to cast it a second time, sometimes it lets you cast it 3 or 4 times when it should have gone on cooldown, sometimes it gives you 2 orbs per cast AND lets you cast it 3 times or more.. I haven't been able to explain it. It does give you extra orbs from mind blast procs, at least. I know that much
    Last edited by Regia; 2016-02-24 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regia View Post
    Glad to get that out of my system. Hope it was helpful
    Woah, thank you man for your great work!

Thanks for the info regia

...I just found a 2socket haste boot that is boe and purchasable for a whopping 249g off a vendor. *Facepalm* Kicking myself in the butt for not knowing that sooner as it would have been nice. The boots are Kavan's Forsaken Treads off the Valor vendor in Stormwind (near Honor) and I would assume the equivalent exists for Horde.

HowtoPriest's thread on timewalking might be useful to some of you too:

http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7552

I can't figure out the optimal enchants on the spreadsheet you listed. it seems as if it lists all of the enchants instead.

Neck-WoD enchant
    Shoulder-Crane Wing
    Back-WoD enchant
    Chest-MoP/Cata Stats
    Wrist-Super Intellect/Superior Spellpower (MoP/Cata int or LK sp)
    Hands-Greater Haste/Haste or Mastery
    Legs-Master's Spellthread
    Boots-Pandaren's Step/Lavawalker if you want movespeed, otherwise Precision or Haste (the cata version wins by 1 stat, if you don't care just get mop ones)
    Rings-WoD enchants
    Weapon-Probably Jade Spirit or Power Torrent? I don't know, all wep enchants proc decently enough so you can pick something you like I guess

I tried Timewalking with my Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest and it does not procs. Anyone else having the same issues? The legendary MoP Cloak works great. The Epic ring from ICC does not scale properly.

Do the HFC raidfinder "Felfume" items keep their 2pc "+115 Int" bonus in timewalking instances?

Quote Originally Posted by DDRisTricky View Post
    I tried Timewalking with my Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest and it does not procs. Anyone else having the same issues? The legendary MoP Cloak works great. The Epic ring from ICC does not scale properly.
    It definitely procs. It's treated like a Multistrike and will show up as the same spell name. It won't do it for some spells though like Mind Sear or Holy Fire for whatever reason, but it 100% procs otherwise. Bonus memes if you get it on Mind Blast for the 2 orb dream.

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    Do the HFC raidfinder "Felfume" items keep their 2pc "+115 Int" bonus in timewalking instances?
    Yes, but it is reduced by about half. I think it used to not be reduced, but now it is. If you look up the individual items on Wowhead, you can check a box underneath the item tooltip that says "Timewalking BC" etc to see the way it scales. It will show that the set bonus is reduced. It is still worth using if you don't have full socketed gear for the other pieces though, since the LFR set includes boots...so you can stack it with a 4set tier

Quote Originally Posted by Melchey View Post
    It definitely procs. It's treated like a Multistrike and will show up as the same spell name. It won't do it for some spells though like Mind Sear or Holy Fire for whatever reason, but it 100% procs otherwise. Bonus memes if you get it on Mind Blast for the 2 orb dream.
    It procs, but seriously, it sucks as a legendary compared to Fangs or Shadowmourne.

I tested. The +115 Int is scaled down to +23 Int, so not worth it if you are min/max'ing as you lose the 4 Int sockets and the 2 legacy enchants.
    Still, running 3 x 2pc (HFC, SoO and HFC LFR) isn't bad at all, just not the best.

So what are the BiS trinkets for timewalking? I have been using will of unbinding for 40 int and it seems to do pretty well.