Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Good christ. I may be physically weak lady, but you can be damn sure I will pick up a weapon along with anyone else wishing to defend this country, if some thousands of crazy people tried to destroy it.
    This is a lot of tough talk about the realities that some people actually live, while others don't through no specific action of their own.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    1. I would not qualify 2. Why the hell would I go fix the problem, when even their own citizens don't give a crap?
    There's various ways YOU could help

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    So you don't see the irony of someone sitting comfortably in their home, who doesn't have to deal with a bloody civil war, ISIS, and 2 world super powers bombing various regions to tell others that they should just stick it out?
    Why would that be irony? Some of the oldest people in my family/relatives or whatever to say, fought against russia when they invaded Finland, they think the same that they should fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    This is a lot of tough talk about the realities that some people actually live, while others don't through no specific action of their own.
    The idea of defending ones country seems to be completely lost on people here. It seems like pointless argument at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Why would that be irony? Some of the oldest people in my family/relatives or whatever to say, fought against russia when they invaded Finland, they think the same that they should fight back.
    But you didn't.

I'm confused why bringing up people who aren't you is some defense to you claiming that you know what it's like or have ever been put into that situation and chose to stay and fight.

Deleted
    But you didn't.

I'm confused why bringing up people who aren't you is some defense to you claiming that you know what it's like or have ever been put into that situation and chose to stay and fight.
    Yeah, it's not like I don't know what happened or how they felt. They've totally never talked about it, ever.

The idea of defending ones country seems to be completely lost on people here. It seems like pointless argument at this point.
    No no, I get it. I get wanting to defend what is important to you. For me that's my children. For other's their home, land, freedom, etc...

But it's very (x a whole bunch of very's) ridiculous to judge someone for not dealing with mortal danger when you yourself are in none and likely haven't had to deal with any in your entire life that remotely compares to the realities of that region.

Personally, I find the whole concept a bit daft, considering how long the adage of walking a mile in someone else's moccasins/shoes is.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it's not like I don't know what happened or how they felt. They've totally never talked about it, ever.
    Okay, and they still aren't you, so climbing on the perch that you haven't earned is TERRIBLE.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't lost on most people, however some people live in reality, and aren't jacked up on ideas they get from watching movies or playing call of duty, most people in the U.S for example are scared shitless someone might come into their homes and steal their freaking XBox, while these people fleeing these warn torn countries, are afraid of real threats like the ones posed by evil fucking dictator puppet regimes, we put in place for political purposes, deciding to use their military to impose their governments.

If the military came to your door or land, you wouldn't grab your gun, you would probably shit your pants and beg for mercy or run screaming. World of difference between something sneaking in to try to steal your stuff, and someone patrolling your neighborhood, with the expressed intent of killing someone.

Deleted

Okay, and they still aren't you, so climbing on the perch that you haven't earned is TERRIBLE.
    Why would it be terrible to say that people should fight against the oppressors?

But it's very (x a whole bunch of very's) ridiculous to judge someone for not dealing with mortal danger when you yourself are in none and likely haven't had to deal with any in your entire life that remotely compares to the realities of that region.
    I haven't had to deal with personally, but my grandparents generation had to, so that I could live free. The people now who flee in millions, could do the same, so that their future generations could live free. It's bad luck it happens during their time, but that can't be helped now. What could help, is them doing something about it.

Edit. I guess by the logic going on here, ww2 would have ended the first moment someone outnumbered fired back at Hitlers overwhelming numbers, and made them flee back to Germany.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2015-10-04 at 09:22 PM.

Why would it be terrible to say that people should fight against the oppressors?
    That is not what I'm arguing in the slightest.

To clarify - The people that you know - have earned the right to sit on the pedestal and tell others that they stood and fought and know what it felt like.

You do not have that right.

You do not know what it felt like. And to suggest that you do know what it feels like - well it would be like me coming into one of your threads talking about your past sexual assault and saying "yep, I know how you feel". No I don't. I will never understand that.

And neither will you understand what those Syrians fleeing their home feel after seeing the carnage that is right their in their homeland. ISIS is scary as hell in their videos. I can only imagine when you have to actually deal with it face to face.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't had to deal with personally, but my grandparents generation had to, so that I could live free. The people now who flee in millions, could do the same, so that their future generations could live free. It's bad luck it happens during their time, but that can't be helped now. What could help, is them doing something about it.
    Which country are you exactly talking about, there is no way you mean the U.S because, there is no singular military episode that happened, which would meet this idea you propose, there certainly where situations that many people who joined the military gave their lives towards but it was always a fraction of the population in any conflict that ever did that.

Which country are you exactly talking about, there is no way you mean the U.S because, there is no singular military episode that happened, which would meet this idea you propose, there certainly where situations that many people who joined the military gave their lives towards but it was always a fraction of the population in any conflict that ever did that.
    Finland, against Russian invasion. Speaking of U.S, it makes great comparison. Should your vastly bigger military, and citizens flee, if Mexico tried to invade? Because fighting might get some killed in defense of homes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Finland, against Russian invasion. Speaking of U.S, it makes great comparison. Should your vastly bigger military, and citizens flee, if Mexico tried to invade? Because fighting might get some killed in defense of homes?
    That's a good question, Me Personally that would all depend, and honestly the same goes for just about anybody here, even the so called tough talk types who suggest otherwise. The U.S has a well oiled and well funded military that get paid and supplied to take care of that, if Mexico or Canada invaded, I am pretty sure it would never come down to civilians having to do anything.

As for Finland and Russia, I'd have to take your word for it, because most people seeing THIS

Coming down the street, they aren't going to do anything other than poop their pants and pray like hell they can run away fast enough undetected, anybody trying to do anything else is either suicidal or supremely stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love listening to Europeans whine about immigration.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Coming down the street, they aren't going to do anything other than poop their pants and pray like hell they can run away fast enough undetected, anybody trying to do anything else is either suicidal or supremely stupid.
    And guess how ISIS gets equipment? By taking what is left by fleeing army. Army that outnumbers them in the first place, like Iraqi forces. Btw, people on top of those armored vehicles are not invulnerable from gunfire from the windows of buildings. Those people drive around unharmed, because no one cares to put up a resistance.

Deleted

To clarify - The people that you know - have earned the right to sit on the pedestal and tell others that they stood and fought and know what it felt like.

I wasn't aware you need to be granted some right, to tell people something. Anyone can speak their mind about things.

You do not know what it felt like. And to suggest that you do know what it feels like - well it would be like me coming into one of your threads talking about your past sexual assault and saying "yep, I know how you feel". No I don't. I will never understand that.

And neither will you understand what those Syrians fleeing their home feel after seeing the carnage that is right their in their homeland. ISIS is scary as hell in their videos. I can only imagine when you have to actually deal with it face to face.
    By that rationale, it's only right to talk about stopping bad things until after bad things have already happened? Because you must have experienced bad things in order to talk about bad things?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    TBF what can civilians do? Stay and die?
    What did the colonists do to oppose British tyrrany? Run away or stay and fight?

7+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully it's gonna stop soon...........!