Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

More than 50% of teachers in England 'plan to quit in next two years'

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-34426598

More than half of teachers in England (53%) are thinking of quitting in the next two years, a survey has suggested.
    The survey, conducted by the National Union of Teachers, found 61% of those wanting to leave blamed workload and 57% desired a better work/life balance.

Two thirds of the 1,020 primary and secondary school teachers questioned felt morale in the profession had declined over the past five years.
    Schools minister Nick Gibb pledged to tackle excessive workloads.
    The findings of the survey are timely, because last month the five main teaching unions warned of a crisis in recruitment and retention, although the government maintains the vacancy rate has stayed stable at about 1%.

The survey, undertaken with a representative sample of teachers, also suggested many were unhappy with some of the government's plans.
    76% said forcing schools that require improvement to become academies would damage education
    62% said the plans for 500 new free schools would also damage education

54% were not confident the new baseline test for four-year-olds would provide valid information about a child's ability
    General secretary of the NUT, Christine Blower, said: "This survey demonstrates the combined, negative impact of the accountability agenda on teacher workload and morale.

"Teachers feel that the Department for Education's work thus far to tackle workload has been totally inadequate.
    "Meanwhile, nearly one million more pupils are coming into the system over the next decade. The government's solution so far has been to build free schools, often where there are surplus places, and to allow class sizes to grow.
    "Add to this a situation where teachers are leaving in droves and teacher recruitment remains low. We now have a perfect storm of crisis upon crisis in the schools system."

She added that many teachers felt their pay had been eroded over a long period of time, and that many were missing out on the 1% pay rise because of the tightness of school budgets.

Mr Gibb said teaching remained "a hugely popular profession with the highest numbers of people joining since 2008.
    "The latest figures show the number of former teachers coming back to the classroom has continued to rise year after year - from 14,720 in 2011 to 17,350 in 2014.

"While the vast majority of teachers stay in their roles for more than five years, we know unnecessary workload can detract from what matters most - teaching.

"That's why we launched the Workload Challenge and are working with the profession to understand and tackle the top issues that teachers said caused the most bureaucracy, with leading education experts taking action on key areas such as marking and lesson planning."

do you have an opinion on this subject, or did you just feel like the people of mmo-champion should know about a survey

this is vaguely interesting when equipped with an inflammatory title, better copy/paste it to mmo champion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Natureseer View Post
    do you have an opinion on this subject, or did you just feel like the people of mmo-champion should know about a survey
    Well its showing an issue within the U.K about an important resource which is education, I figured it deserves discussion. Do you gave an opinion on the article, or do you just want to argue with me without reading the article first?

Pot, meet Kettle.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Pot, meet Kettle.

i mean, can we all just agree that we dont want to talk about this subject? or i can just go find the next article on yahoo news and post it on here too.

i mean, can we all just agree that we dont want to talk about this subject? or i can just go find the next article on yahoo news and post it on here too.
    Sure, you're welcome to post articles without actually commenting on the contents.

I don't think that's a rule (unwritten or otherwise) anywhere that I've seen.

Still mad?

Why is everyone jumping ugly with GG? You don't have to respond to every thread, you don't like his thread don't post.

I might go over to England to teach. I can teach the little ones how big government is evil and soul killing and they should oppose it with every fiber of their being.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account

this is vaguely interesting when equipped with an inflammatory title, better copy/paste it to mmo champion
    If its not against the rules then why not post it? You can always skip threads when not interested.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Let them leave if that's how they feel.

I don't think anyone wins in a situation where someone hates doing their job.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure Cameron will be happy to counter this survey by announcing the addition of 20 more free schools

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Well its showing an issue within the U.K about an important resource which is education, I figured it deserves discussion. Do you gave an opinion on the article, or do you just want to argue with me without reading the article first?
    It deserves discussion? and yet you chose not to discuss it.....

How about you show us your opinion and we'll show you ours?
    Btw, don't try the "I'll assume you have not read the article" thing with me. I guarantee I know far more on this issue that you ever will.

The testing in America is getting fucked, too. Can't remember which comedian did it, but there was a comedian that had a show about how the tests are terrible and tying teachers hands behind their backs. Something about the private corporations pushing their way into schools. I can't blame them for leaving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since when do OP posts require people to post their opinion.

He thought it was interesting and posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    It deserves discussion? and yet you chose not to discuss it.....

How about you show us your opinion and we'll show you ours?
    Btw, don't try the "I'll assume you have not read the article" thing with me. I guarantee I know far more on this issue that you ever will.
    Stop derailing the thread and discuss the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Deleted
    Just because you find something interesting doesn't mean it needs to be posted here. Otherwise we can just get a bot to scrape the front page of BBC News. Or people could just bookmark BBC News. This is just postcount whoring.

Workload is a big problem in the US as well. My wife is a teacher and she never has any time to herself. All of her free time has to be dedicated to grading papers, planning lessons, etc. She basically works 12 hour days and spends a lot of her weekends on it as well.

I'll never understand why anyone would want to be a teacher with that kind of workload (and the pay-to-workload ratio), but I guess it ensures only those who REALLY want to teach do so?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Stop derailing the thread and discuss the subject.
    The OP didn't have the courtesy to discuss the subject. Hell, the thread doesn't even have a subject it is just a random article.

As to those complaining about the OP.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Forum-Rules-**

Nothing he's done has broken any rules, while everyone whining about it are breaking rule #1 (posts that contribute nothing).

If you have a problem with the OP then report the post and if a mod agrees it will be removed/he will be warned. Dunno what's so complicated about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    People are just being pissy. Best to ignore it.
    People are being excessively pissy today.

Did Anita Sarkessian do something terrible today or something?

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    This is just postcount whoring.
    Whoring for what? Internet points? Some of GG's threads get 10 pages, some don't even get 1 page. It's a democracy, people don't want to respond the post falls of the front page.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland