Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    if he doesnt get the dark one powers back im safely assured he will get some kind of powers. maybe he will get a magic snowflake and get elsa powers or something :P
    If he wakes up at all.. really hope they won't kill him off.

In any case, I love seeing him as the anti hero of the show. In S1-3, he was clearly the most powerful of them all and would have been unstoppable if had gone fully chaotic evil but he was more like a trickster and did more good than bad and mostly helped everyone who needed it for a small price. Compare that to Regina who wasn't even close to as powerful as the Dark One and she killed a lot more people... usually undeserved out of spite.

watching this season ive come to the conclusion everyone on this show except for belle and hook are better when theyre evil
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

watching this season ive come to the conclusion everyone on this show except for belle and hook are better when theyre evil
    badly written heroes? or hero fatigue? - look at the spin on Arthur?

anyway, i think a lot of people have no idea what true heroism looks like but you do see it in good shows/movies - unfortunately you see a lot of bad stuff too because heroes are so easy to warm up to, it often means writers get lazier with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    badly written heroes? or hero fatigue? - look at the spin on Arthur?

anyway, i think a lot of people have no idea what true heroism looks like but you do see it in good shows/movies - unfortunately you see a lot of bad stuff too because heroes are so easy to warm up to, it often means writers get lazier with them.
    the problem is not that theyre badly written, theyre just boring. too good. snow white is written great but she makes me want to throw up. I think theyve realized this as the shows become much more villain focused the past few seasons.

only villains i dont like is wicked witch and ice mom
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

the problem is not that theyre badly written, theyre just boring. too good. snow white is written great but she makes me want to throw up. I think theyve realized this as the shows become much more villain focused the past few seasons.

only villains i dont like is wicked witch and ice mom
    that's partly my point, if you find a hero boring because their good, it's either bad writing or you've been turned against do-gooders. This is either because of over portrayal or just really high quality stuff that's raised the bar very high or in rarer case, a person that's irritated by said do-gooder types because of their life experience, choices or stuff they probably need counselling over.

People should find heroes or villains appealing to them based on their character, this character is not set in stone ofc, choices have the defining role, something the writing here shows all too well. Villains are villains because of the choices they make, and they keep making ones that have the consequences they try to escape but are never allowed to. Actions for good or bad have consequences.

However Rumple and the Evil Queen are very interesting villains, by seeing how villains re made they endear a sympathy and empathy (based on your experience) and ofc they do try to do some good too, nicely explained - they did a similar thing with Damien Salvatore of Vampire Diary Series, and then later with Klaus of the same series and later The Originals.

Sometimes we find the heroes more annoying because they are the people we can sometimes feel we can never be, whereas the villains, well, we can relate to them, as they struggle and slowly but surely become better people, that's more like us.

WoW is a bit poisonous, because in the last 10 years, blizzard have made the "traditional" good guys really boring, and actually not very cool. All the cool stuff has gone to the horde - on the converse the opening and exposure of the horde has revealed the group to be anything but the total evil group they at first seemed, this has spiked our interest further because we rarely see it done in modern entertainment though life and history is littered with examples and proof that this is far more common than rare. It's also because entertainment has focused on the rather very rare hero, and possibly caused viewer hero fatigue and contempt, the old "familiarity breeds contempt" adage. Real life heroes of the calibre we see sooo often portrayed in movies /series etc are really really rare, but as we see them so much they become the norm and actually boring and the far more common villain-esque type character not all bad but with some good, and with the right influence gets better, is very rare so when we see it, it catches our interest.

It's probably because we watch too much stuff and interact too little with people, a healthy dose of real life tends to let you appreciate and welcome true heroes and whiles people today are very cynical of such also because of mistrust of others, it's all the more astounding when the genuine article shows up in your life, and very inspiring.

reproducing the same thing on screen these days due to the screen hero fatigue is much harder, but is still pulled off.

Saying that, i'm not warm on Snow or Charming either, altho, they're a tad more likeable this season so far, and their parts are definitely not bad either, I guess we just like Rumple and Regina better, but then those two actors are amazing, they really play their roles well.
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2015-10-14 at 03:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post
    I rather enjoy the show, have for the past few years. Regina is easily my favorite character in the entire show, she's written just so well and Lana Parilla just seems to enjoy playing her so much you can just tell every episode she's relishing it.

She also is one of the most complex characters in any show I've ever watched. She really gets to play the full spectrum.
    Yeah, I love Regina. Also love Rumple. Not a big fan of snow or charming through. Henry and Emma are okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post
    "Rumple! You just have to LET GO of your fear!"

"Belle...I can't just let it go..."

*breaks into Let It Go*

I'd like to see Rumple without magic for a bit, let's see how he handles being normal in a world of magic. I think it'd be interesting.
    Ive been wanting that for a while.

I don't think I missed a post about this yet, but what are the thoughts on the Dark Swan?
    I am still not 100% on board with it yet.. feels awkward to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Schezuan View Post
    I don't think I missed a post about this yet, but what are the thoughts on the Dark Swan?
    as i said earlier, everyone on this show is more interesting when theyre evil :P also sexier too. evil swan > normal swan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schezuan View Post
    I'm not completely sold on it yet. I liked her interaction with Hook over "lunch" and her small interaction with Henry a few episodes ago. I like the moments where I can remember "Oh right, this IS Emma..." because she lets a little bit of herself show through. When she's being over the top ("Like my house Hook? Let's drink and be merry...") it DOES feel awkward. It's nice to see her filter sort of down like when she was telling Regina to deal with her own problems and stop blaming others.

Essentially I like it when Emma says things that sound like she used to but at the same time she completely refuses to help out in any sort of way. If that makes any kind of sense...

That said, I'm really looking forward to seeing why she took all the memories away (convenient and overused plot device though it might be) since I have a feeling it has something to do with Arthur's plan. I haven't trusted Arthur at all this whole time, I really want to know what his plan is in Camelot (obviously in Storybrook he wants to make a new Camelot) and what Emma wants to do after removing her light.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

Heard a rumor that... hooks name Kilian is on Excalibur and on the hilt which you can kinda see is a golden etch of him and Emma riding a horse together.

aww.. they know how to make lovely episodes, thoroughly enjoyed Sunday's even I wasn't expecting the twist at the end. For all its flaws this show hits so many sweetspots. Go go Charmings !!

I dont quite understand what the hell arthurs goal is, why does he want to kill merlin?

I dont quite understand what the hell arthurs goal is, why does he want to kill merlin?
    The only reason I cannot come up with is he didn't tell Arthur straight out what had to do.

I think he feels that Merlin did nothing but lead him on, providing carrots on sticks with no actual happy end to his quest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    The only reason I cannot come up with is he didn't tell Arthur straight out what had to do.
    Better than my guess...I was just gonna say Arthur's a bit crazy.

I'm starting to see the pieces fall into place for why Emma's gone down the Dark path now though. I wonder if the curse was the only way to remove the spell of the Sands of Avalon. Maybe in trying to fix the problems that Arthur created she had to fully commit to being the Dark One.

Also the story makes the Guinevere/Lancelot story make a lot more sense, no wonder Guin fell out of love with Arthur.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

Well I'm finally sold on Dark Swan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CR77 View Post
    Well I'm finally sold on Dark Swan.
    Last episode really helped out. She's starting to show the complexity I was hoping to see out of her. She obviously still cares for Henry but she's starting to prioritize herself over him (in Camelot) while starting to show her manipulative nature in Storybrook. I like it.

I'm starting to see how things fell apart for her, it seems like she is really starting to enjoy the power that she wields like when she freed Merlin. I'm still not certain what her end goal is for Excalibur...like rumple said he always was manipulative as the dark one but we always knew why, he either wanted more power or a way to get his son back. With Emma we don't know what her end goal is...

By the way, what does everyone think about the idea that the devil may make an appearance next season. My first thought was "This is starting to sound like Supernatural...with Disney characters."

Haven't heard anything on the devil.

But would like to know how Merlin appeared to Emma when she was a girl when he clearly would have been a tree in Camelot at that time. Also calling it now, the original Dark One is Merlin's lost love.

And a small rant that i somehow pushed out of my mind until this week....Excalibur was NOT the sword in the stone. The sword in the stone was a simple sword with the words stating whomever pulled it would be king. Excalibur came from the Lady in the Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by CR77 View Post
    Haven't heard anything on the devil.

But would like to know how Merlin appeared to Emma when she was a girl when he clearly would have been a tree in Camelot at that time. Also calling it now, the original Dark One is Merlin's lost love.

And a small rant that i somehow pushed out of my mind until this week....Excalibur was NOT the sword in the stone. The sword in the stone was a simple sword with the words stating whomever pulled it would be king. Excalibur came from the Lady in the Lake.
    while thats true, im fairly sure in the disney movie that Excalibur was the sword in the stone, so its both faithful and unfaithful at the same time :P

also, probably time travel. or maybe in some way the world of camelot is somehow out of sync with the time of the world of storybrook.

kind of like how the world alice comes from is still in the world war 2 era while storybrook is modern times

everyone knows Exaclibur as the sword in the stone, a much MUCH smaller audience knows about the sword from the demon spirit Lady of the Lake. Which they will play remains to be seen

I did like Sundays episode a lot too, I keep liking their cast, latest surprise is Merlin - I was expecting an OLD white dude with a huge long wizard's beard, just like the apprentice... quite pleasantly surprised to see a young mix-race dude, who surprisingly pulls the role of with charming grace.

Merlin, charming? dashing? ... and it works ... (watch how supergirl will fail to pull off a black hunky Jimmy Olsen which will hightlight to you the difference in quality of the writing staff on Once Upon a Time and that on Supergirl).

No one expected Arthur also to be a villain - but he's not an all out villain either, there is some thing more to come on that one, the writers have set it up quite nicely. he's not on the same evil league as Rumple or the Evil Queen or her sister and mother. Saying that though, do you not think Maleficent was written very nicely in the last half of last season? totally threw me .

one thing you can count on the villains are not so clear cut black and white ... Cruela turning out to be psycho serial killer - even that was extreme, she turned out to be the most villainous of them all.. I bet you all thought that would either go to Maleficent or Ursela