Deleted

RBGs - Pugging and ratings

So, after quitting hardcore raiding a few months back and still playing WoW I started to focus a bit on PVP.
    After doing a few RBGs with pugs I went up to 1.7k (it doesn't mean shit I know) and at this point I seem to be getting ~10 rating per win.
    My questions are how much do ratings gain decrease with rating (I know it also depends on the MMR difference) and if getting up to 2.4 is something that can realistically be done in pugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    You will only get mid-to-high ranking in RBGs if you cheat and/or are part of teams that do. See my thread on cheating, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Blizz has virtually no presence of GM's in matches or even their own forums to combat it. Reason: profit margins.

In other words, RBG is a complete and utter cluster fuck disaster right now, worse than MoP or before and that's saying something.

If you're willing to accept that instead of getting legit titles/ranks, then have at it.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2015-10-05 at 05:00 PM.

What do you consider Mid-to-High ranking for RBGs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently I'd say 18-1900'ish and higher since rating is down generally about 200 from previous seasons. From what I've seen and what friends still in the game or recently quit have said, you see the cheats even in those lower pug brackets, and only gets worse as you go up.

If you don't lose you keep getting like 100 rating per win even above 2k

But that's basically if u or ur alt is getting carried. Expect on average anything from 0 rating change to 30, depending on your win/loss (personal rating), your team's MMR and the other team's MMR.

Last season trying to play 1900+ on horde was fucking stupid. I was going 4-1 and losing 10 rating because no other horde were close enough to my rating (ex I was 1975 but had to settle for 1850+ teammmates becauae of everyone playing alliance).

About the cheating.... Yeah its really discouraging there is less and less integrity in the ladder the higher you push, but it seems everyone assumes anyone with 100 more CR than them is a cheater. Guy above me accused 1900 players of cheating I accuse 2200 players of cheating. But regardless, its there, blizz knows, they don't do anything about it because reasons.

I'd say mid to high ranking definition is dependant on your factions. If you are above 1700 on horde I'd call that mid to high whereas that is trash if you are alliance(where mid to high would be 2k+)

Guy above is mostly right. I just don't know why he throws arena rating as a requirement for being a high rated RBG player. Obviously there is a correlation but you certainly don't need arena ratings as a pre req.

RBGs are different than arenas, its not about the kills so much as it is about the objectives. And playstyle change when you are in that large of a group.

I'd take a random BG hero who knows how to dispel over some 2.2k healer who got carried.

Maybe what I am getting at is don't discriminate against pugs based on ratings and achieves if you can help it.
    But so review recount and see who is doing the most CCs and dispels, those are so so so important in RBGs. You have to be able to do your primary role (damage/heal/carry flag/spin) AND do whatever your secondary job is (cc/dispel). Recommended CC and dispels per BG is 50+ to 150+ but that obv depends on many favtors

This is why I found RBGs to be frustrating

1. The rating. I did a lot more RBGs in MoP, and if I did 3 a day, won 2 and lost 1, I could gain 2 rating, or even lose up to 10. I'm not saying "reward me for losing", but I was hardly awarded for winning. It just doesn't feel awarding to try and gain rating. And I don't wanna hear someone going "oh but I pugged my way to HoTA, no voice"

2. Randoms... Random RBGs is about the worst thing you can subject yourself to, the higher the rating, the worse it gets. It's like those guys that whip themselves for God. That's random RBGs. At lower ratings, it's usually not bad, but once you hit a certain point (in MoP it was about 1900, now even at 1500) people just become insanely toxic. To lose the first game is like losing your life. The likelyhood of playing with shitheads typically depend on these factors: their previous arena/RBG rating and which country they're from. I'm going to sound xenophobic and horrible now, but the worst people I've encountered in PvP, are from the Netherlands and the UK. If you're a nice and kind person from either country: good for you, and please don't stop with that. With high previous arena/RBG rating, the attitude is matching, no question about it.

Funnily enough, groups with attitude tend to not do very well, so yay, I guess

3. Building a network. This is hard work. Sometimes you meet some really good and friendly people, but to find those people, be prepared to play a lot of RBGs (and also waiting for some healer or FC wanting to join, my record is 2,5 hours). And then... these people - they stop PvPing or quit the game, then you're back to square one. If you of course find 9 other stable people that don't quit, you should have a fighting chance.

4. Cheating. It exists, but I've not seen too much of it myself, luckily, but it sucks knowing that you can't have honest games as the rating increases.

I'd love to explain you about CR and MMR, but despite my number of RBGs won (and lost!), eh, not my table. But here at least you have some info from the sociological side of RBGs! Yay!

tl;dr: RBGs = descent into madness

Edit: I do have some good memories from RBGs, but, as you can see, its mostly the frustration that pops into my head when "RBGs" are mentioned
    Last edited by Faenskap; 2015-10-09 at 01:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trevoroxx View Post

About the cheating.... Yeah its really discouraging there is less and less integrity in the ladder the higher you push, but it seems everyone assumes anyone with 100 more CR than them is a cheater. Guy above me accused 1900 players of cheating I accuse 2200 players of cheating. But regardless, its there, blizz knows, they don't do anything about it because reasons.

My assertions on cheating are not based on "assuming" people are cheating as they get higher ratings. I put up a thread on this which clearly shows the rampant shit happening in RBGs now with many examples, even worse than in MoP that I saw fairly often. People are seeing it in low ranks now, apparently scumlords running alts or w/e can't live without their scripts and curbstomping right from the git.

You know it's bad when people openly brag on Blizz forums and/or clear evidence is shown and Blizz makes excuses or just ignores it. Trying to downplay it in any way is just making matters worse.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2015-10-13 at 06:30 PM.

RBG ratings are brutal right now to climb. Went 8-8 this weekend from PUGs and I lost 44 points. With so few people playing wins are like 6-10 points and losses 12-17 at the 1600 level. Also starting just above this if you face higher MMR teams, are script/hack filled teams with flying FCs, untargettable people, clipping through walls etc.