thoughts on budget build

trying for a good build under $500, in a few month plan on getting more ram and aftermarket heat sink, and new gpu, will be using my 6850 from old pc for this build. total is $445 all from amazon. should i wait for holidays sale's to get anything?

pc using now: amd quad core 9850 2.5ghz 8gb ram,amd 6850

FX-8320 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition$139.99

MSI 970 GAMING DDR3 2133 ATX AMD Motherboard$79.99

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Single DDR3$38.99

Thermaltake Versa N21$55.98

Sentey® Power Supply 725w $46.99

WD Blue 1TB Desktop $52.99
    ''i'm not drunk, i'm Scottish''

gonna need more information. What are you using it for?

oh sorry for gaming, BF4, titainfall,mmo's any big came coming out next year

Deleted
    I'd say start with this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.95 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($54.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.88 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $527.70
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-06 02:22 EDT-0400

If can't go for that, you should at least go for the following. Btw that sentey power supply....don't even think about it, its crap, unless its the golden-steel power 850w.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($107.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.88 @ OutletPC)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $516.82
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-06 02:27 EDT-0400

Deleted
    Or if you don't feel the need to OC

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI H170 Gaming M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($54.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $493.95
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-07 09:40 EDT-0400

I put an SSD in there. If you think it does not have enough space to last untill upgrades stick with the HDD. If your old HDD has SATA you could also use that.

thx for the info, another question im looking to get the r9 390 to save money, but should i just go with a 980 ti?
    Last edited by tacosarecool; 2015-10-11 at 01:49 AM.

Deleted
    A gtx980ti is for 1440p/4k you are looking to game 1080p don't you? If thats the case then its an overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    A gtx980ti is for 1440p/4k you are looking to game 1080p don't you? If thats the case then its an overkill.
    oh ok thinking of going with the 970

10+ Year Old Account
    If you care about dx12 go with AMD for the graphics card.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    If you care about dx12 go with AMD for the graphics card.
    lets clarify:

If you care about DX12 and somehow aren't going to upgrade your card in the 2-3 years its going to take for DX12 to be even remotely relevant, go with AMD, where the extra boost in DX12 will keep your 4+ year old card... low end.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    lets clarify:

If you care about DX12 and somehow aren't going to upgrade your card in the 2-3 years its going to take for DX12 to be even remotely relevant, go with AMD, where the extra boost in DX12 will keep your 4+ year old card... low end.
    Seeing how he is on budged it is safe to assume he will be keeping his gpu for quite some time. I don't get it, why does so many of you assume everybody upgrades gpu every tier or 2.

If I were in OPs shoes I would go for amd gpu.

Deleted
    Every "tier" is like 1.5-2years. So when you talking about 2 tiers its 3-4years with the 3tier coming after 5-6. You can't expect a mid-end performance gpu to be as good after 4years. In this case, a gtx970 is still the best performance for the money for 1080p. Thus you could say it will keep you up there with decent fps until then.

When that time comes, and dx12 is mainstream (or it should be), you can decide what to go for.

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    Seeing how he is on budged it is safe to assume he will be keeping his gpu for quite some time.
    Because in a year or two he will still be broke? Or not be able to afford to upgrade a single compnent that will lead to a large performance increase. Terrible assumption.

I don't get it, why does so many of you assume everybody upgrades gpu every tier or 2.
    Because i assume that someone whi cares about gaming, particularly at anything above medium settings, will want to continue to play above medium settings, rather than just sit on the same card for 4+ years and gradually be forced to compromise the settings tomretain playability.

The only way you get more than 3 years out of a card is if you go absurdly high-end to start with. Otherwise, buying a midrange card means upgrading every 2-3 years if you want to maintain fidelity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    In this case, a gtx970 is still the best performance for the money for 1080p. Thus you could say it will keep you up there with decent fps until then.
    I dont know. The 390 sits also at that pricepoint... And that seems to offer a bit more than the 970.

In this case, a gtx970 is still the best performance for the money for 1080p
    This statement while not incorrect is starting to get dated IMO, those cards are out for how long now? While they still are current they are about to be replaced in less time then they have been available. Then again AMD's counterparts are newer only by name and slight increase in clockspeeds and improved drivers since they were released in their 2xx form.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    lets clarify:

DX12 will be relevant a lot sooner than 2-3 years. There are a couple games due out this year and several early next year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ctX_12_support

Ark: Survival Evolved and Fable Legends due this year.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Far Cry Primal and Hitman all look to be Q1 next year.

Looking at that, DX12 will be relevant in 6 months, not 2-3 years.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post

If you want to play those half a dozen games - but those games will also have DX11 support.

I don't think DX12 needs to be a deciding factor at all if you need to buy a GPU today.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    DX12 will be relevant a lot sooner than 2-3 years. There are a couple games due out this year and several early next year.

Ark: Survival Evolved and Fable Legends due this year.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Far Cry Primal and Hitman all look to be Q1 next year.

None of those games have full DX12 support (Mankind Divided implements more features than any of the others, and is showing minimal gains over DX11 because the game wasnt coded from the ground up with full DX12 implementation in mind. It would be akin to saying "This is an OpenGL 4.0 game" when it implements a whopping one extension from 4.0. Sure, its technically true, but not really.

Given Windows 10s adoption rate, no developer can hinge their game on DX12 for years to come. Like the guy above me said... Buying a GPU right now, DX12 should not be a major consideration. DX11 will be supported for longer than e effective life of any caed you buy now, and will look just as good.