Anyone here play SWGEmu?

Just wondering how it is. Was a long time player, sad to see it go. Although I was bored at times of it, still one of the best experiences in video gaming I have had. Just curious if anyone plays it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dang, a lot of work must have gone into this. I never did play SWG so perhaps I'll take a look.

The game is and was perfect for the kid that watched Star Wars and thought to themselves "I want to be Uncle Owen when I grow up."

Haven't seen anybody except me and Zealo mention it on this forum before, so I'd assume no.

I played it for a couple months post-NGE, not sure about Zealo's experiences on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried it a couple of years ago, but it was too buggy. Couldn't start doing quests because of massive delay.

I would hope it's improved a lot by now, but 2 years ago it had still been out for ages.

Some people stream it on Twitch, so have a look and ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I would hope it's improved a lot by now, but 2 years ago it had still been out for ages.
    SWG closed in Fall 2011.

I've tried it a couple times, probably one of the most boring games I've ever played.
    Waaaay too dated for me to enjoy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Nostalgic View Post
    SWG closed in Fall 2011.
    We're talking about an Emulator, which is Pre-CU.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    I've tried it a couple times, probably one of the most boring games I've ever played.
    Waaaay too dated for me to enjoy it.
    Yeah, probably a big issue that it is dated. For its time, it was the best game ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, probably a big issue that it is dated. For its time, it was the best game ever.
    Gameplay might get to me, but I've been watching a Let's Play and so far it seems awesome. The art/graphics remind me of KOTOR. I think I'll definitely give it a whirl tonight.

I've played it a few times before, though its been a few years. Their main server was largely unfinished the last time I played, but the test server seemed like it was getting close to being complete.

SWG was by far my favorite mmo. I hop into SWGEMU from time to time to get my nostalgia fix. IMO, developers letting everyone have 10 character slots really really hurts the community, but other than that I enjoy it.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

I initially loved SWG while in beta, but their testing methods were very flawed, and then they announced the release of the game way before it was ready. Literally nobody in beta expected it. One day everyone was in a good mood on the beta forums and optimistic for a release that fall, next day we get an email saying so long and thanks for all the fish—game is gold and releasing in 3 weeks. The beta forums rioted with the game isn't ready and its a big mistake.

Which, I think we were pretty on the ball with that considering everything that went wrong with SWG. Really made me sad too, because I loved the concept.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Gameplay might get to me, but I've been watching a Let's Play and so far it seems awesome. The art/graphics remind me of KOTOR. I think I'll definitely give it a whirl tonight.
    Did you try it?

Interested in how it's doing these days. The combat ruined it for me last time, as it was a laggy delayed mess.

The swgemu subreddit should have a list of all active emus out there. Nearly all are pre-cu, but vary as to how much bonus xp you get and their jedi unlock system (if they have jedi). There is also a nge server that came up not too long ago. Supposedly it's pretty much the state of the game pre-shutdown, but I haven't played it to verify.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you try it?

Interested in how it's doing these days. The combat ruined it for me last time, as it was a laggy delayed mess.
    Apparently it requires the original CDs. I never owned the game, and people say torrents don't work (though I don't see why not), so I'll need to find a cheap copy before I can play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Apparently it requires the original CDs. I never owned the game, and people say torrents don't work (though I don't see why not), so I'll need to find a cheap copy before I can play.
    Oh yeah I forgot about that, when I tried SWGEmu I no longer had my old CDs, I found them cheap on Ebay.

I think it's to do with actually legally owning the game, to make what they are doing not against the law.

I can't see how that would matter anymore seeing as the official servers no longer even exist.