Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How far should you go in accomodating to other cultures practices/beliefs?

Accomodate different opinions on laws?
    Different social codes?
    Different cultural practices?

Where is the limit on it?

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Depends on situation.

Do not litter the streets of Singapore is ( however the actual text may be written) a law and i can follow the idea behind easily. the penalties are severe and i would object the penalties, but not the law itself.

Thou shalt not visit Mekka and Medina as atheist/christ/whateverfaithexeptmuslim however is plain silly to me.

Deleted
    You shouldn't. They should keep their stuff confined to behind closed doors within their own home.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't, Honestly it is your own business. When you are out in the world it is your job to function the same as everyone else. What you do on your own time is your problem, not mine or anyone else. There are laws in place follow them, if it is against your culture, break them and go to jail. People can be different, but as far as the law and work goes everyone should be the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you go to a different country, you're the one supposed to adapt yourself to their culture, not the other way around.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it infringes upon my (or any other citizen's) rights then it should not be accommodated. If it doesn't infringe, then it should be accommodated.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    If you go to a different country, you're the one supposed to adapt yourself to their culture, not the other way around.
    plausible, but to what extend ?

Deleted
    For your own safety and a limited time or for a permanent perspective and social progress?

15+ Year Old Account
    As a nation, I don't believe we should. Our laws and social codes allow freedom to act within the limits of what we see as acceptable. If the other culture/practice/belief falls within what we deem acceptable, there's no need for us to accommodate further - and if they don't, they can cut it out or go somewhere it's acceptable.

I think that goes both ways. If I'm the visitor, I'd expect the same treatment.
    Last edited by Revi; 2015-10-06 at 05:35 PM.

You should do your best to be accommodating. It's not only unreasonable to expect people from different cultures to abandon their heritage, it's also unrealistic; humans don't work that way.

Some things are not acceptable of course, anything that is demonstrably harmful is a no-go.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    i accommodate it in as much as i tolerate it, and respect their right to practice their own culture. i stop accommodating it once they start trying to force their cultural beliefs onto others.
    but i do believe if you move to a different country you should embrace and respect their culture and traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    You should do your best to be accommodating. It's not only unreasonable to expect people from different cultures to abandon their heritage, it's also unrealistic; humans don't work that way.

Some things are not acceptable of course, anything that is demonstrably harmful is a no-go.
    What does harmful include?

7+ Year Old Account
    Assimilation based on statistics. People who come from places with less desirable statistics need to assimilate into places with more favorable statistics. Two main criteria could be health and knowledge, seeing as you can come up with objective metrics for analyzing these areas. If one place consistently produces healthy and knowledgeable citizens, it will be represented in the stats.
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-10-06 at 05:54 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
    That depends on one thing: If I am moving to their culture/country then it's all on me to adapt to their way of life or at least not to intrude upon it, after all I chose to be there. If they come here it's all on them, I have zero tolerance or willingness to change, adapt or accommodate to their way of life, culture or beliefs. If they don't want to assimilate they can fuck right off to where they came from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino
    plausible, but to what extend ?
    I'm not sure what you're asking. You should adapt up to the point where you're confortable. But you should not require the other country to change their culture in order to fit yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix
    In some places the tourists are allowed to lots of things the natives aren't because of religious laws etc.
    I mean morally, not legally. I don't see why tourist should be allowed to do things that are ilegal to the country citizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.

Accomodate different opinions on laws?
    The law of the land is the law, I don't give a shit if you like it or not. As Socrates said if you live in a land you are morally obligated to follow it's rules. If you don't want to follow them, move elsewhere.
    Different social codes?
    As long as it doesn't affect those around them I don't care.
    Different cultural practices?
    Again, as long as it doesn't affect those around you who don't share them I don't care. Once you start affecting others who don't share the same views you are disregarding their practices/beliefs. If you wouldn't like someone else to do it to you don't do it to them.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post

I mean morally, not legally. I don't see why tourist should be allowed to do things that are ilegal to the country citizens.
    AFAIK you are permitted to buy and consume alcohol in UAE as a tourist for as long as you stay in hour hotel. is a regulation to please the tourist without angering the native population and their faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    You shouldn't. They should keep their stuff confined to behind closed doors within their own home.

I couldn't agree more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    AFAIK you are permitted to buy and consume alcohol in UAE as a tourist for as long as you stay in hour hotel. is a regulation to please the tourist without angering the native population and their faith.
    i think if there was some similar law here, where natives are not allowed to do something, but tourists are, i would be annoyed! but if thats what UAE wants to do, then its their choice.

What does harmful include?
    Usually anything that is illegal, unethical or detrimental to human rights.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance