Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should children who take part in violent riots be punished?

Bit of a subject I'm torn about and curious to hear other views.

Lately in Israel there have been calls amongst Israeli arabs for a third and even fourth intifada, with violent riots breaking in Jerusalem and areas under control of the PA.

I don't want to talk about that since when it comes to Israel, 10 people will have 50 different views. I do want to talk about something more specific - There are reports (and even videos and photos) of either palestinian or israeli-arab children, throwing stones at soldiers, cars, bypassers etc. Children disturbing the order, taking parts in riots etc.

Personally I'm not sure what would be the right thing to do regarding these kids. They can't be allowed to continue disturb the order and throw stones, but I don't think they should be punished since it is clearly their parents fault and responsibility to keep them in check.

Thoughts?

Deleted
    of course. peaceful protests and such should be allowed ( and are in most western countries im sure), but not violent riots, all of those involved should be charged. if they are minors then they should be charged as minors, adults as adults.

Yes they should.

Show them no mercy, duh.

I don't know man. If a parent tells his kid "go throw stones at that car" and the kid has not yet reached the age of reason, I don't think you can really blame him.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is their parents faults sure but if you don't punish them somehow they are going to think this is okay moving forward and the cycle will continue. Kids get away with a ton of shit just because they are kids and the parent's or adults who swayed them get all the shit. That doesn't stop the kid from being a little shit that was led astray. They will in turn grow up and raise even more little shits who share the same views.

I am not asking them to inflict any actual harm on the but they should get some sort of punishment that will actually somewhat try to change their behavior. If they are raised a certain way you need to punish them as well as the adults.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyechewer View Post
    I don't know man. If a parent tells his kid "go throw stones at that car" and the kid has not yet reached the age of reason, I don't think you can really blame him.
    what age kids are we talking about? i was thinking OP meant teens

Deleted
    Death sentence, that'll teach them not to do it again!

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    what age kids are we talking about? i was thinking OP meant teens
    I wasn't there myself, but there are reports and several videos with young kids. I'd say 10 at most.

Deleted
    How is that even a question? There is a thing called "criminal law relating to young offenders" (Is that really the term you use in english? Seems a bit bloated.).

I get that but you can't just leave them be either.
    It's about straightening them out.
    Last edited by mmocdca0ffe102; 2015-10-06 at 06:08 PM.

They should get reprimanded in some way so they get the point that assaulting people isn't right.

Community service sounds like a decent punishment.

Deleted
    Yes ultra zionist jewish orthodox violent riots should be against the law in Israel.
    But I'm making an excemption and it should only be there.

Deleted
    Should be allowed to use lethal force in riots from the get go to quell it.

If the parents aren't teaching them those values then it's up to society to teach them. In this case some sort of legal punishment should be a great teacher. The parents should also be punished for being jackasses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Should be allowed to use lethal force in riots from the get go to quell it.
    Against swedish rightwing demonstrating against immigration too? :>

Deleted
    Should be allowed to use lethal force in riots from the get go.
    i agree. generally riot police here cannot do much, not just because of numbers but because if they use any sort of force and someone gets hurt they get in a tonne of shit. but if a group is being violent and is a danger to the public they should 100% be allowed to use the force required to stop it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Against swedish rightwing demonstrating against immigration too? :>
    Demonstrating doesn't equal to riot. Riotters can fuck off.

Deleted
    Demonstrating doesn't equal to riot. Riotters can fuck off.
    Would you trust your government to make this distinction?

Deleted
    The government isn't the one who would make that distinction, the police at the scene would. Politicians aren't involved in riots.

Deleted
    yes i do, the police should judge what is a threat to the public.