Xferring OEM windows from old build to new

Hey guys,

I want to either build a new computer, or upgrade my current with SSDs and such.
    I have an OEM copy of Win7 and from what I understand that is only to be used with one system at a time. I was also told you can transfer it if you build a new comp. If that is the case, how does windows know I have a new computer and I scrapped the old? What If I want to sell the old computer (keeping windows on there for the next person without my ID) and put mine on my new one. Thank you in advance!
    "Grammar is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse & helping your uncle jack off a horse."

OEM copies are typically tied to the motherboard. You can probably move your copy to another PC and have it still work but the windows activation may kick it back. (I haven't messed around doing this with windows 7 much). The copy tied to the old motherboard will likely invalidate. If you use the OEM media to upgrade from 7 to 10 on a new PC it may work.

They specific answers you are looking for are probably here.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...321809f?auth=1

Deleted
    OEM keys of Windows 7 are tied to the hardware they shipped with the moment they are activated for the first time. Meaning that if all goes well you should be able to reinstall windows on the same machine, but you wont be able to activate it on a different machine

Note that you will be able to INSTALL using key, just not activate after installing!

I had this exact problem a few weeks ago. I used a OEM key from a sticker on the old computer and it got rejected after installation. I then tried a Windows 7 'OA' key from a similar sticker on a laptop I had lying around and for some strange reason this worked. I can't really find out what is the difference between OEM and OA that caused one to work and one not to.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can use it, I've done it so many times before.

All it takes is calling the Microsoft hotline, choosing consumer based help and inputting the key via phone.
    It'll work 99,9% of the time.

Enjoy.