Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm not super sad to see the WoD iteration of Survival going away, but we can't really say anything until we know how melee hunters are gonna play. As a general concept I much prefer the idea of them having a melee spec to differentiate things more. It's the kind of thing they should be pushing with the pure DPS classes to offer up some sorely needed variation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like it at all. I liked the old survival spec; i've been playing survival as my main spec since Wrath, and stuck with it even when it wasn't superior mathematically. I'm going to miss the playstyle.

The issue will be how it will compare to an enhancement shaman. All other melee classes have their own playstyle and niche, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I've primarily played a SV hunter for a long time, and I have no interest in playing melee. Chasing mobs and bosses around isn't entertaining to me, and the main reason I play ranged classes. I almost feel like Blizzard intentionally made SV the worst hunter spec in WoD to get people used to the other 2 specs that might not have normally played them, to prepare them for this change.

We'll see when more info comes out though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I don't like it at all. I liked the old survival spec; i've been playing survival as my main spec since Wrath, and stuck with it even when it wasn't superior mathematically. I'm going to miss the playstyle.
    I loved it when SV had readiness AND rapid fire AND kill shot. Those were the good ol' days :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapped View Post
    I almost feel like Blizzard intentionally made SV the worst hunter spec in WoD to get people used to the other 2 specs that might not have normally played them, to prepare them for this change.
    I've seen this thought fluttering around the hunter forums a lot. It's possible. But then again, there are a lot of other specs they screwed up. I mean, I don't see Arms warriors, Fire mages or Holy priests going ranged/melee.

Quote Originally Posted by Prandoff View Post
    I've seen this thought fluttering around the hunter forums a lot. It's possible. But then again, there are a lot of other specs they screwed up. I mean, I don't see Arms warriors, Fire mages or Holy priests going ranged/melee.
    I have no doubt in my mind they did this on purpose. There was no reason for them to remove the instant tick considering SV was the lesser spec of the three Hunter specs, especially after factoring in the MM Buff. There probably would've been (in my estimation) 5-15% more Hunters playing SV > MM/BM in Heroic and Normal, but all Mythic Hunters would still have been MM even if SV wasn't nerfed to hell.

Blizzard's excuse for removing instant tick was that it "wasn't an intended mechanic". It was part of SV from the beginning of WoD, give me a break.

That being said, I support melee SV and can't wait to see the changes Blizzard has in store for us. I'm perfectly fine with playing BM/MM in a raid setting if melee Hunters aren't an option (which they very well may be in Legion).

SV for the entirety of this expansion has been a ridiculously easy and boring spec. Far beyond any other spec in the game.

edit: although admittedly I had a lot of fun with it in Heroic BRF before I started Mythic raiding, especially on Blackhand..

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...2/7/#boss=1704
    Last edited by galaxyquest; 2015-10-26 at 04:32 PM.

It was the most obvious conclusion ever, given the explanation they gave for nerfing demo in the ground was that they were going to redesign the spec. Alot of hunters knew because of this that sv was going to be changed (not to forget its a barren spec), waay before 6.2 even launched. The melee aspect on the other hand is up for debate.

Probably one of the worse changes in the history of WoW.

Oneliner score: 0.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by sololux View Post
    I canceled my sub because of it.
    That's ok, i resubbed because of it.

Also, im very excited for this. I hope they give us things like nets and bolas to be alot about actually hunting down prey. Traps are nice and all, but if i can camoflauge around the world laying traps, or hunt down fleeing targets with slows like bolas and nets, that would be great thanks. Loved melee back in vanilla, and to have it back is finally a reason for me to main my old Hunter again. He's been in retirement way to long!

Only sad if they can only use a spear/polearm, dualwielding onehanders ftw!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    It was an option in the past, when hunters were still carrying melee weapons in addition to their bow/gun...So I think it is very likely.

Unless the SV artifact changes, I'm sad to say that you'll be shoe-horned into a polearm

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm sad. In Vanilla the best raid spec was SV/MM, 21/30 iirc. Had it's golden talents, and it's rotten ones. SV always suprised me with how smooth and comfortable it was, made use of areas hunters are known for; traps, stings etc. All well if they use these well in Legion, but removing ranged.. nah.

What annoys me though is it's "anothr" melee class, an with Demon Hunters doesn't make any sense whatsoever, last new classes, Paladin, DK, Monk, DH. I wonder why every guild in PvE content is looking for ranged.

7+ Year Old Account
    At how many targets is barrage worth using over CS?
    http://re-lapse.enjin.com/
    Fri Sat 9PM-1AM EST
    13/13M
    US #1 Weekend Guild
    If you have what it takes, apply.

It was an option in the past, when hunters were still carrying melee weapons in addition to their bow/gun...So I think it is very likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phototropic View Post
    Unless the SV artifact changes, I'm sad to say that you'll be shoe-horned into a polearm
    Yeah we will see, blizzard could do it so you could break the spear in half and also use it as a dualwield option

Deleted
    Yeah we will see, blizzard could do it so you could break the spear in half and also use it as a dualwield option
    Like Darth Maul in the Phantom Menace?

Could be as easy as having it as a completely cosmetic change as one of the varying different looks, even.

Like Darth Maul in the Phantom Menace?
    But better 'cause no Liam Neeson... kek.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekslol View Post
    At how many targets is barrage worth using over CS?
    Its like 8ish

Thing is, if I wanted to play melee with a pet, I'd roll an unholy DK. We have had nothing but melee added since DKs (MW monks are "ranged" but they aren't DPS), and now we're losing a ranged spec to be yet another melee. Since they failed horribly at trying to balance petless vs pet (did they even try? I don't feel like they did), I have no doubt that they won't be able to balance melee vs ranged. If melee ends up being top dps, I'll either gimp myself or bench the hunter entirely. If I wanted to play melee, I have plenty of other options.

I'm not buying the "finally the specs feel different!" - they managed to get warlocks and rogues changed up without making a ranged rogue or a melee warlock.

I wouldn't *mind* going melee if they were dual swords like every WoW ranger seems to be shown with. I utterly loathe spears.

So I was thinking "Alright, fine, I can do Beastmaster" A GUN? Oh hell no.... that Marksman bow is sweet, but then I lose my pet? What crapness is this?!

I guess Beastmaster it is, with an artifact weapon mogged over by my trusty bow.