Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

[Megathread] Linux,SteamOS FAQ,Support and chit chat.

I wanted to Start a Linux,SteamOs thread so its everyones one stop shop on here for Linux Questions and support.
    Mods if it wasn't cool to do this please feel free to shut the thread down.

Over the past few years Linux has been getting more popluar in my opinion thanks to SteamOS and company finally supporting there game on linux. I myself have personally switched to Linux Mint 17.1 and don't see me going back to windows at all in the near future.

So what Linux are you guys running. Also feel free to post questions or really anything Linux related u wish to say . I myself have decided if your game doesn't support Linux I don't play it on PC ill just buy it on one of my consoles. I am still abit new to using Linux but I am enjoying it so far

Kinda just wanted a one stop shop for all Linux info.

Upcoming Games going to Linux. (Thanks Dukenukemx for showing me this video in another thread)
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-10-08 at 09:00 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Mint on my laptop (well, netbook), CentOS at work (without a GUI because servers don't need one ).

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Mint on my laptop (well, netbook), CentOS at work (without a GUI because servers don't need one ).
    Cool was the laptop the one u said you had problems with in the other thread?

From what I have heard (Haven't done it myself) putting Linux on a laptop can be a pain. Never heard of CentOS.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Cool was the laptop the one u said you had problems with in the other thread?

From what I have heard (Haven't done it myself) putting Linux on a laptop can be a pain. Never heard of CentOS.
    It's the one I had no problems with in the other thread.

CentOS is a derivative of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

It's the one I had no problems with in the other thread.

CentOS is a derivative of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
    Oh it wasn't you who said that myfault. I never messed with Red Hat besides once. I had a really old version of it from like 02 that I got at a yardsell lol.

It was a big thick official box of redhat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Linux Mint 17.2 and got a new keyboard today, CM Storm with backlight, it's cheap and nice to use. However it works fine under Win, under Mint the backlight doesn't work. Googled the problem and the only way to solve this is to run a command every time you log in. There is a way to automate it under Ubuntu, but haven't found that for Mint. If any of you guys have a fix for that, let me klnow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    I use Linux Mint 17.2 and got a new keyboard today, CM Storm with backlight, it's cheap and nice to use. However it works fine under Win, under Mint the backlight doesn't work. Googled the problem and the only way to solve this is to run a command every time you log in. There is a way to automate it under Ubuntu, but haven't found that for Mint. If any of you guys have a fix for that, let me klnow.
    Just put it in /etc/environment

"sudo gedit /etc/environment"

My HTPC is shutting down immediately for no reason today and haven't had time to diagnose it. CPU isn't overheating so could be PSU or motherboard. But if I have to replace the board I'll be wiping it clean and putting Mint 17.2.

Unfortunately when it comes to accessories like keyboards and mice, nobody seems to have support for it on Linux. Like for Logitech devices there's solaar and all that really does is allow you to pair a device up with the PC and monitor the battery level. But these kind of applications are made by the community.

Oh it wasn't you who said that myfault. I never messed with Red Hat besides once. I had a really old version of it from like 02 that I got at a yardsell lol.

It was a big thick official box of redhat.
    I'm thinking about if I could put a graphics card in one of our 19" appliances, install Gnome and then play cities skylines (native linux!) without impacting it too much.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2015-10-08 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Just put it in /etc/environment

"sudo gedit /etc/environment"

My HTPC is shutting down immediately for no reason today and haven't had time to diagnose it. CPU isn't overheating so could be PSU or motherboard. But if I have to replace the board I'll be wiping it clean and putting Mint 17.2.

Unfortunately when it comes to accessories like keyboards and mice, nobody seems to have support for it on Linux. Like for Logitech devices there's solaar and all that really does is allow you to pair a device up with the PC and monitor the battery level. But these kind of applications are made by the community.
    Not sure if it helps you at all but I am using a wireless M&KB setup made by Logitech and it worked right out of the box.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking about if I could put a graphics card in one of our 19" appliances, install Gnome and then play cities skylines (native linux!) without impacting it too much.
    I don't see why you couldn't. I personally have never played Cities skylines so I don't know how well it would run.

10+ Year Old Account
    My HTPC isn't primarily for gaming but I will play some games on it. But it's primary a video streaming machine plus printing and web browsing. I use MediaPortal and Windows and it works mostly well except the upgrade to Windows 10 has messed it up for some reason. I can use Plex for videos loaded on the machine but an application for streaming video from the capture card is harder. It sucks terribly on Windows so no shocker that Linux has terrible options as well. MediaPortal worked but it took a lot of effort to get it working. Besides configuring and setting up MediaPortal, there's MPExtended, movie plugin, TV show plugin, and IR Server Suite to change channels on my cable box. Honorable mentions are mc2xml to download a EPG for cable box, and EPG Collector to download EPG data for ATSC.

So yea, MediaPortal is complicated and not on Linux despite being open source. I could use MythTV but that application is so old and broken that I would rather not. Plex + TVheadend are my best options except that TVheadend isn't made to stream analog TV like from a cable box. It can be modified but I doubt it can change channels for it. It's going to be one hell of a project.

I got a issue I wonder if anyone can help me with. When I run update Manager I get this error that says "Could not download all repository indexes" then there is this huge list of of like mirrors and each has ether (Wrong Sources.list entry or malformed file or Packages 404 not found) I am on linux mint 17.1 by the way.

Anyway u guys know to fix this?

- - - Updated - - -

Also I am having another issue. I'm trying to get bioshock Infinite on my tv and its not launching on my tv but my computer screen. When I go Window(Fullscreen) or just windowed I can't take it out of 1280x720. Trying to run it on my tv in 1920x1080.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-10-09 at 03:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a issue I wonder if anyone can help me with. When I run update Manager I get this error that says "Could not download all repository indexes" then there is this huge list of of like mirrors and each has ether (Wrong Sources.list entry or malformed file or Packages 404 not found) I am on linux mint 17.1 by the way.
    Every repository says this? Try "sudo apt-get update" and see what that says.

Also I am having another issue. I'm trying to get bioshock Infinite on my tv and its not launching on my tv but my computer screen. When I go Window(Fullscreen) or just windowed I can't take it out of 1280x720. Trying to run it on my tv in 1920x1080.
    Probably because the TV isn't set as the main monitor. Under Display should be a black bar that you can click and drag to the screen you want. Either that or make sure the display you want as primary is to the right side.

Every repository says this? Try "sudo apt-get update" and see what that says.

Probably because the TV isn't set as the main monitor. Under Display should be a black bar that you can click and drag to the screen you want. Either that or make sure the display you want as primary is to the right side.
    Yes and Sudo apt-get update hasn't changed that.

As for the game problem when I set the tv to primary it loads there but only use's like 1/4 of the tv the rest is black and I still can't change the res.

Edit: When I did Sudo apt-get update it ran some of them worked then the rest gave that error.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else think its kinda fucked up Runescape has support for Linux but no other bigger MMO's do lol.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-10-09 at 04:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: When I did Sudo apt-get update it ran some of them worked then the rest gave that error.
    It means they can't connect to the PPA. Make sure your connection is fine. Either that or you added some PPA's that are old and no longer exist. Give a sample of what it says.

Anyone else think its kinda fucked up Runescape has support for Linux but no other bigger MMO's do lol.
    Blizzard really. Considering they have working Mac ports of their games, it would take them little effort for a Linux port. And their forums do have lots of people asking for help getting the game working through WINE.

Deleted
    Yes and Sudo apt-get update hasn't changed that.

As for the game problem when I set the tv to primary it loads there but only use's like 1/4 of the tv the rest is black and I still can't change the res.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else think its kinda fucked up Runescape has support for Linux ut no other bigger MMO's do lol.
    apt-get upgrade or apt-get update fix-missing try thoose.

Ok can anyone help me with this?

Did a fresh install of mint today and now it seems I can't get my software manger to open. I was trying to install runescape and I have notice any installs I do in the terminal stops at 9% and close's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok can anyone help me with this?

Did a fresh install of mint today and now it seems I can't get my software manger to open. I was trying to install runescape and I have notice any installs I do in the terminal stops at 9% and close's.
    Considering your other problem with getting repositories to update, you might have a connection issue. Might be a good time to unplug your router+modem to give them a good reset. Software manager needs to download files when it first starts and if installs are stopping at 9% that could also be another indication of bad connection. Either that or your ram is bad and causing all sorts of problems. Mint does come with memtest86, just hold shift before your PC boots to get grub and then choose memtest86+ and let it run for a while.

Considering your other problem with getting repositories to update, you might have a connection issue. Might be a good time to unplug your router+modem to give them a good reset. Software manager needs to download files when it first starts and if installs are stopping at 9% that could also be another indication of bad connection. Either that or your ram is bad and causing all sorts of problems. Mint does come with memtest86, just hold shift before your PC boots to get grub and then choose memtest86+ and let it run for a while.
    Ok well this is a fresh into so the original problem isn't there anymore

The thing is I click Software Manger then type my password in and it ends there. It could be like you said a connection problem ill reset my router/modem.

Edit: Did a reset didn't work and couldn't get memtest86+ to come up. Holding shift did nothing.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-10-12 at 02:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok well this is a fresh into so the original problem isn't there anymore

The thing is I click Software Manger then type my password in and it ends there. It could be like you said a connection problem ill reset my router/modem.

Edit: Did a reset didn't work and couldn't get memtest86+ to come up. Holding shift did nothing.
    That is odd. Gotta hold shift just as the bios switches over to the OS, like with Windows and F8. Either you got a bad download of Mint or the installation corrupted somehow. When you get a chance, try reinstalling and if that fails then download another copy of Mint. If all else fails try Ubuntu.

That is odd. Gotta hold shift just as the bios switches over to the OS, like with Windows and F8. Either you got a bad download of Mint or the installation corrupted somehow. When you get a chance, try reinstalling and if that fails then download another copy of Mint. If all else fails try Ubuntu.
    Edit: I got everything working woot lol. thanks for the help

Anyone know a turrent program that works with Linux? I though Uturrent did but I can't get the installer to work.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-10-12 at 06:53 AM.