15+ Year Old Account

Would this laptop run minecraft

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-.../dp/B00OA4YJZO

My daughter wants one for xmas but its sole purpose will be for minecraft and cheesy flashgames. Would this run smoothly on busy servers and games like blockparty etc.

Thanks guys.

I think it would but I'd go for something a tiny bit better just to be safe.

How old are they? College age? Or like a kid? College age I'd spring a few extra hundred and do a I3 ish. They can do the college work on it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    How old are they? College age? Or like a kid? College age I'd spring a few extra hundred and do a I3 ish. They can do the college work on it.
    She'll be 9 mate, as i say the main priority for her is minecraft

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kaldeera View Post
    I think it would but I'd go for something a tiny bit better just to be safe.
    Yeah im touch and go, people are saying it will no problem on another forum but im unconvinced.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygeeks View Post
    I will buy a better one if I were you...
    Thanks mate, but what do you think of the specs here -

CPU, Memory and Operating System:

Intel Pentium 3825u dual core processor.
    1.9GHz processor speed.
    4GB RAM.
    1TB SATA hard drive.
    Microsoft Windows 8.1.
    This device can be upgraded to Windows 10 for free.

Display features:

15.6 inch screen.
    High definition display.
    Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.

DVD optical drives:

DVD plus RW/.

Graphics:

Intel HD Graphicsintel hd graphics graphics card.
    Shared graphics card.

Deleted
    It will work no doubt but there might be some issues every now and again and it's obviously not future proof whatsoever if she ever wants to do more than play minecraft or surf the web.

If you're set on a Windows OS I'd fork out another £50 and get one with an i3 instead of a pentium, otherwise you could quite happily get a laptop running Ubuntu for a similar price and better specs - minecraft works fine on linux.

I think Microsoft also released a freemium OS recently, maybe see if you can track one down and again you'll likely get a bit more bang for your buck.
    Last edited by mmocccd4d485ac; 2015-10-21 at 12:37 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't matter, Amazon says that particular laptop is unavailable.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    It will work no doubt but there might be some issues every now and again and it's obviously not future proof whatsoever if she ever wants to do more than play minecraft or surf the web.

If you're set on a Windows OS I'd fork out another £50 and get one with an i3 instead of a pentium, otherwise you could quite happily get a laptop running Ubuntu for a similar price and better specs - minecraft works fine on linux.

I think Microsoft also released a freemium OS recently, maybe see if you can track one down and again you'll likely get a bit more bang for your buck.
    Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated.

It says the gpu is worse than ivy bridge hd4000. I get 20-25 fps as that so I am going to go with get something better if you want to enjoy because it will be sluggish.

10+ Year Old Account
    So since it's Intel's bay trail platform, it basically has a modern day Intel Atom inside of it. While miles better than the original, it's certainly no gamer. Minecraft isn't the most demanding of games, at least not by default. But as far as I know it has some Java base and consumes a bit of CPU, so that platform wouldn't be my first choice.

Some numbers on the intergrated GPU can be found here:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-H....103037.0.html

Abysmal. I agree with previous poster about how little future-proofing there is in this.

Add to that, I've had Acers of the cheap kind. My experience with them has been that they're cheap pieces of plastic junk ready to collapse inwards at any moment.

But I don't really have a model that I could recommend you. Hoping someone else has been into laptop-buying recently and can give some links. I'd stay away from "Celeron/Atom"-branded ones and look towards something with an i3 and a basic GPU like a GT 710M. Higher end Intel HD graphics (5000, 6000, 6100) would suffice but not sure they come integrated into the basic i3s without being cut down a lot compared to their more expensive i5/i7 counterparts.