Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Filling the void - tv shows

Is it me or has anyone noticed that there's been a drop in medical dramas and cop drama series big time over the last few years.

Some old shows just continue on, and no new ones, there are also almost 0 Lawyer shows about, so a big down on law, crime and medical shows.. where's it all going into?

I am noticing a lot more spy and special agent shows though, both fantasy and sci-fi shows are on the up as well, and the comedy shows have seemed to double too. I don't really monitor reality tv shows, and since I don't live in america and stream everything I watch, i have no idea what the ratio is for scripted to reality shows atm is, so maybe reality shows have increased significantly.

There are several new medical and cop dramas this season. The pilot of code black was very good

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think they are still around, the cop and lawyer shows, but they have become more twisted. It's not so much court-room drama anymore but the focus is elsewhere. The normal cop shows seems to have been replaced with the special agent shows instead (so many FBI shows now it's hard to keep track of them).

Beyond that I think the big shift has gone towards supernatural shows - be it actually supernatural or something with vampires or zombies or something occult or spooky or weird-science type things.

That and the mindrotting reality shows that are still for some damn reason still around.

Pretty sure law and order is still on tv. So is NCIS.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Pretty sure law and order is still on tv. So is NCIS.
    Unfortunately it's only Law and Order : Rape edition. It's not the good one. NCIS is starting to feel like L&O used to feel, it's on like every day all the time either as a new episode or a re-run.

Not sure if royal pains is still going? I remember that was pretty good. Then we've got Castle, Criminal Minds, Crossing Lines the NCIS stuff, and more recently I guess Limitless in the cop area. Lawyer shows I don't know much about, the only ones I've ever watched is Franklin and Bash and Suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post
    Not sure if royal pains is still going? I remember that was pretty good. Then we've got Castle, Criminal Minds, Crossing Lines the NCIS stuff, and more recently I guess Limitless in the cop area. Lawyer shows I don't know much about, the only ones I've ever watched is Franklin and Bash and Suits.
    i think Suits is the only one going on, Reckless was new last year, and cut after a year, so was Franklin & Bash, we do have a sitcom tho called Grinder atm... Crossing Lines and NCIS are special/secret agent stuff, -- I guess Castle can be considered cop? but he's more a consultant right? we had Unforgettable cut, there is Rosewood also a consultant show, Forever, which I liked was cut. Remind me about Limitless? Almost Human on Syfy got cut, but that's more sci-fi, as is Minority Report, Sleepy Hollow is supernatural - maybe they've just diversified and rather than gone traditional cop show, they've gone cop with a twist.

apart from the really old ones, I think Rookie Blue might be the only cop one about, and Blue Bloods. Rogue is a great show, but that's more crime than cop. Gotham altho coppy is superhero universe.

There's too many cop shows as is. grimm, hawaii 5-0, ncis, brooklyn 99, criminal minds, lucifer is starting, batman/bones sort of, was it called rookie blues? etc.

Rokkie might be on their last season though, but you can still catch on chicago PD and Chicago Med is coming too, to go along with Chicago Fire

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    There's too many cop shows as is. grimm, hawaii 5-0, ncis, brooklyn 99, criminal minds, lucifer is starting, batman/bones sort of, was it called rookie blues? etc.
    oh yeah.. Bones is still going.. Brooklyn 99 is more comedy though right? what is lucifer about? there have been some recently failed ones.

oh yeah, Mysteries of Laura is going on atm, but the one with the MEdical Examiner , the female one, forgotten it's name, it got canned there is a canadian one that is good, shows you the murder in advance then the female detective solves it, there is anotherone with a female detective who's a hard ass single mum, i don't know what happened to that one,, I think that got canned.

Stalker was really good, and that's the best one that got canned. Also there was a canadian one about a psych division where a psychologist pairs up with a cop, Hacked? it got canned or I don't know what happened to it, sheesh, i guess there are tons of cop ones, was remembering this other canadian one about a cop that moves from a rural area, white one and gets teamed up with this bad attitude tough black cop, forgotten the name

we had quite a few start and get cancelled, they don't seem to last long.

But the medical dramas , I think it's just Grey's Anatomy and Saving Hope atm, Code Black has started, what we lost quite a few last year, the best of the gone ones was Black holE? or was it black box? or something about that following a genius neurologist who suffered from bio-polar, I liked that one. There is also another one centring around an Irish american family called the Remedy, i think that's gone too it made it to a season 2.

2 years ago had a really interesting one called Monday Night, but they cut it, there was also one with Jade Pinkett, that's a bit old now, the one where she actually cheats on her Will Smith with the main actor anyway, i think that one got cancelled it started off really well then just started sucking so bad. Before she did Once Upon A Time Lana Parilla was in a medical drama called Chase.. i actually liked that

my faves that got cancelled though were Monday Nights and Black Box, i'm finally beginning to warm to Saving Hope, but jury is still out on that one, it seems to have gotten better now that Daniel Gilles has left, although I'm surprised he stuck with The Originals, that show is not doing anywhere near as well as Saving Hope, but hey

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elggur View Post
    Rokkie might be on their last season though, but you can still catch on chicago PD and Chicago Med is coming too, to go along with Chicago Fire
    oh yeah, forgot about Chicago PD, now that we're listing them, there are tons of cop shows, Chicago Med is starting? like when? I stopped watching Chicago Fire a while ago, need to catch up, never got into Chicago PD , might do, but wanna catch up on Gotham first

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    oh yeah.. Bones is still going.. Brooklyn 99 is more comedy though right? what is lucifer about? there have been some recently failed ones.

oh yeah, Mysteries of Laura is going on atm, but the one with the MEdical Examiner , the female one, forgotten it's name, it got canned there is a canadian one that is good, shows you the murder in advance then the female detective solves it, there is anotherone with a female detective who's a hard ass single mum, i don't know what happened to that one,, I think that got canned.

Stalker was really good, and that's the best one that got canned. Also there was a canadian one about a psych division where a psychologist pairs up with a cop, Hacked? it got canned or I don't know what happened to it, sheesh, i guess there are tons of cop ones, was remembering this other canadian one about a cop that moves from a rural area, white one and gets teamed up with this bad attitude tough black cop, forgotten the name

we had quite a few start and get cancelled, they don't seem to last long.

But the medical dramas , I think it's just Grey's Anatomy and Saving Hope atm, Code Black has started, what we lost quite a few last year, the best of the gone ones was Black holE? or was it black box? or something about that following a genius neurologist who suffered from bio-polar, I liked that one. There is also another one centring around an Irish american family called the Remedy, i think that's gone too it made it to a season 2.

2 years ago had a really interesting one called Monday Night, but they cut it, there was also one with Jade Pinkett, that's a bit old now, the one where she actually cheats on her Will Smith with the main actor anyway, i think that one got cancelled it started off really well then just started sucking so bad. Before she did Once Upon A Time Lana Parilla was in a medical drama called Chase.. i actually liked that

my faves that got cancelled though were Monday Nights and Black Box, i'm finally beginning to warm to Saving Hope, but jury is still out on that one, it seems to have gotten better now that Daniel Gilles has left, although I'm surprised he stuck with The Originals, that show is not doing anywhere near as well as Saving Hope, but hey

- - - Updated - - -

oh yeah, forgot about Chicago PD, now that we're listing them, there are tons of cop shows, Chicago Med is starting? like when? I stopped watching Chicago Fire a while ago, need to catch up, never got into Chicago PD , might do, but wanna catch up on Gotham first
    From what I can see, Chicago Med is supposed to start somewhere in Novermber, their was a backdoor pilot in chicago Fire and and a few character got presented in chicago PD aswell namely one of the doctor is the brother of Det. Halstead

Quote Originally Posted by Elggur View Post
    From what I can see, Chicago Med is supposed to start somewhere in Novermber, their was a backdoor pilot in chicago Fire and and a few character got presented in chicago PD aswell namely one of the doctor is the brother of Det. Halstead
    wow, only NCIS and CSI have pulled off 3 spin-off shows.. well, Law & Order also

what is lucifer about?

Limitless and Minority Report both started this year, those are both crime shows.

rosewood, blinds lot, limitless and a couple more that I can't think of at the time. It's not a lacking genre

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Limitless and Minority Report both started this year, those are both crime shows.
    Both of which will be gone before Christmas, imho

Limitless isn't doing all that bad in the ratings

Is it me or has anyone noticed that there's been a drop in medical dramas and cop drama series big time over the last few years.

Some old shows just continue on, and no new ones, there are also almost 0 Lawyer shows about, so a big down on law, crime and medical shows.. where's it all going into?

I am noticing a lot more spy and special agent shows though, both fantasy and sci-fi shows are on the up as well, and the comedy shows have seemed to double too. I don't really monitor reality tv shows, and since I don't live in america and stream everything I watch, i have no idea what the ratio is for scripted to reality shows atm is, so maybe reality shows have increased significantly.
    Didn't think i'd ever see anyone complain that there aren't enough Cop and Lawyer shows on TV.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Limitless isn't doing all that bad in the ratings
    It is, but in part to people sticking around after Scorpion, I have the feeling that won't last long though.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    It is, but in part to people sticking around after Scorpion, I have the feeling that won't last long though.
    Limitless actually had higher ratings for it's second episode than Scorpion did and the third was only a little lower than Scorpion so that doesn't really pan out.

http://www.ismyshowcancelled.com/chart/2015/limitless/