Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

diablo 3 no expansion at blizzcon ?

1 panel for diablo and its only for 1 hour and its stated as a dev talk, can we assume that there is no expansion for diablo then ?

I thought the same

Disappointed in the scheduled coverage for D3, but they could also announce an expansion in the opening ceremony, but not be far enough along to devote a lot of time to it.

They never announce that they're going to announce an expansion.

That said, I'm not really expecting another D3 expansion. The game should just die, imo, and then they can make another one that isn't 100% repetition over and over again. Or, you know, they can make another game in that vein and I won't even bother with it this time. I honestly don't understand how people can enjoy playing the exact same content over and over again without any chance of it changing. I mean, at least with WoW we get new raids every so often. With D3, we've received, oh, two or three very rare zones that barely offer anything different from the rest of the game. The rest of the content is just rifting over and over again.

I'm fine with a grind if it gets me something useful, but I'm not interested in grinding for the sake of grinding... which is exactly what Diablo 3 has been since it released. Even with the additional act, class, and the few other new things that the expansion has brought, the core gameplay is still just a massive grind and the only new content that the core audience seems to care about is new gear. I don't understand how a game designed around such obvious repetition has managed to keep an active playerbase.

Every WoW expansion ends with forums full of people bitching about doing the same raid over and over again for nearly a year before the next expansion hits. Diablo 3, however, somehow gets a pass on this. How much fun would it be if you were still farming Icecrown Citadel in the hopes that you might get a drop and it might have slightly better stats than the copy of that drop that you already have? Because that's exactly what every Diablo 3 player has been doing since release.

Sorry, I had to vent. I played a ton of Diablo 3 at launch and again when the expansion launched. Then, one day, I realized that I'd been grinding simply for the sake of grinding -- the game experience hadn't changed in any meaningful way. The genre has felt like a gigantic rip-off ever since. I legitimately hope that D3 doesn't get another expansion unless they can actually make it about something other than grinding.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2015-10-09 at 07:38 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    yeah i feel the same, ive played since day 1 of vanilla whit mostly no breaks, was so hyped for a expansion now that the game feels like its in a good state but whit no expansion, and only "new season" whit a couple of legendaries will mostly kill all intreast in the game for sure, if there is no expansion i think im done whit the game, will prob come back when they realese d4,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post

That said, I'm not really expecting another D3 expansion. The game should just die, imo, and then they can make another one that isn't 100% repetition over and over again. Or, you know, they can make another game in that vein and I won't even bother with it this time. I honestly don't understand how people can enjoy playing the exact same content over and over again without any chance of it changing. I mean, at least with WoW we get new raids every so often. With D3, we've received, oh, two or three very rare zones that barely offer anything different from the rest of the game. The rest of the content is just rifting over and over again.

I'm fine with a grind if it gets me something useful, but I'm not interested in grinding for the sake of grinding... which is exactly what Diablo 3 has been since it released.
    Clearly this guy has never played D1 or D2......

I'm fine with a grind if it gets me something useful, but I'm not interested in grinding for the sake of grinding... which is exactly what Diablo 3 has been since it released. Even with the additional act, class, and the few other new things that the expansion has brought, the core gameplay is still just a massive grind and the only new content that the core audience seems to care about is new gear. I don't understand how a game designed around such obvious repetition has managed to keep an active playerbase.
    You are very much not the target audience of Diablo then xD The fun doesn't come from variety or new content but rather in how you clear and farm said content. Restarting the grind and optimising your gear as you collect it and experimenting with fun new builds is where the fun is derived. The levels? Really they're just fodder, generic arenas within which to kill mobs whilst new items and set bonuses and the occasional skill balance pass make for the tools to create our own fun.

Grinding for the sake of grinding it may be but isn't that really what all games boil down unto? WoW is not really much different. Go to place, get loot, go to place, replace loot. Turn up difficulty. Do same place over again and replace more gear. Expansion causes everything to reset. Etc. Etc.
    Last edited by thesmall001; 2015-10-09 at 07:42 PM.

Aye... same thought... veeeeeeeeeeery disappointed if this is the case but meh, I'll be busy with Fallout 4, Halo 5, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid 5 and even Diablo 3 ROS for the next 1 year...

Quote Originally Posted by aarro View Post
    Clearly this guy has never played D1 or D2......
    Oh, I played both and I enjoyed both. I didn't keep playing them for long, though, so I never had a chance to burn out.
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    d1 d2 was fun because the game was the builds u had so much to try whit d3 and no talent tree not so much, whit no new contet the games is really dull my accound have over 3000 hours played 1k alone on my barb, if u dont get burnt out and what new content u have cleary not played much, the state of d3 atm is really good, but for longevity we need 1-2 more acts,1-2 more classes, more skills, and one more pve thing like craft own maps for materials or a pvp system if the game gets that then d3 can go on forever, and whit a microtransaction we could see alot more love for d3 from the company, whitout it and they only announce season 5 the game will die trust me, all twitch streamers will move to other games, the only thing keeping it alive atm is the hope for a expack.

Quote Originally Posted by IMloreeu View Post
    d1 d2 was fun because the game was the builds u had so much to try whit d3 and no talent tree not so much, whit no new contet the games is really dull my accound have over 3000 hours played 1k alone on my barb, if u dont get burnt out and what new content u have cleary not played much, the state of d3 atm is really good, but for longevity we need 1-2 more acts,1-2 more classes, more skills, and one more pve thing like craft own maps for materials or a pvp system if the game gets that then d3 can go on forever, and whit a microtransaction we could see alot more love for d3 from the company, whitout it and they only announce season 5 the game will die trust me, all twitch streamers will move to other games, the only thing keeping it alive atm is the hope for a expack.
    Holy broken English, Batman. I don't understand most of that.

Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    You are very much not the target audience of Diablo then xD The fun doesn't come from variety or new content but rather in how you clear and farm said content. Restarting the grind and optimising your gear as you collect it and experimenting with fun new builds is where the fun is derived. The levels? Really they're just fodder, generic arenas within which to kill mobs whilst new items and set bonuses and the occasional skill balance pass make for the tools to create our own fun.
    Yeah, that's what everyone tries to tell me. You've basically just described a big sandbox where nothing you do matters and progression is meaningless.

I had a ton of fun at D3's launch because, well, Inferno was insanely difficult. I remember spending hours on some of the harder bosses. I remember how accomplished I felt when I finally killed Diablo. Killing bosses on Inferno actually meant something! Beating the game automatically confirmed that you were a better player than most of the rest of the players. It was one of the most rewarding game clears I've had...

... and then they nerfed everything across the board, removing almost all of the difficulty, and removing any sense of accomplishment from the game. I quit shortly after this, because, again, it became all about the grind. All of the awesomeness of clearing a challenging game was gone and I was stuck doing Act 3 runs in the hopes of getting a decent piece of gear. Then they did a bunch of stuff, after I quit, that didn't really change the experience. Then they released the expansion and gave us the rift and, later, grift sandbox experience.

So, Diablo 3 went from an awesomely challenging experience to an easy grindfest, to a variable difficulty grindfest, to a generic grindfest. For a very short while there, the game was fun because there was an element of overcoming challenges... and then they killed that and turned it into what every other game in the genre is. You're right -- once they made that change, I stopped being the target audience. They could add any number of relatively simple concepts into the game (Boss Rush, for instance) that could easily fit into the game format and would lure players like me back, but they refuse. They simply keep doing more of the same: They make a handful of skill/gear changes every patch and that seems to be all the playerbase cares about.

I look forward to the day when the genre dies out or evolves into something more than a grindfest.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2015-10-09 at 07:52 PM.
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

I look forward to the day when the genre dies out or evolves into something more than a grindfest.
    Yeah it has gotten a bit stale. Personally, I find climbing my personal Greater Rift score very challenging and rewarding and the grind becomes punishing but I never seem to stop finding it relaxing and enjoyable. Just the right balance of "slip and you're dead" and "chill grind". Around Grift 48 (T10) the game starts scaling exponentially and each step forward is paid with blood and toil. You start having to build differently and absolutely optimize. So each level you achieve is satisfying and paragon complements that well. For me, Diablo is perfect because it is 1:1 progression over time and you can immediately drop in and out of it as needed.

Every WoW expansion ends with forums full of people bitching about doing the same raid over and over again for nearly a year before the next expansion hits. Diablo 3, however, somehow gets a pass on this. How much fun would it be if you were still farming Icecrown Citadel in the hopes that you might get a drop and it might have slightly better stats than the copy of that drop that you already have? Because that's exactly what every Diablo 3 player has been doing since release.

Sorry, I had to vent. I played a ton of Diablo 3 at launch and again when the expansion launched. Then, one day, I realized that I'd been grinding simply for the sake of grinding -- the game experience hadn't changed in any meaningful way. The genre has felt like a gigantic rip-off ever since. I legitimately hope that D3 doesn't get another expansion unless they can actually make it about something other than grinding.
    Sounds like you never played D1,D2 or any other ARPG. Thats just how it is.

Deleted
    hm strange it's been 2 years since RoS was released right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    hm strange it's been 2 years since RoS was released right?

it came out in march 2014

10+ Year Old Account

Sounds like you never played Diablo II. It was a fantastic game, sure. But most end-game consisted of Pindleskin runs, boss runs, and farming the same few areas over and over. Sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldreno View Post
    Sounds like you never played Diablo II. It was a fantastic game, sure. But most end-game consisted of Pindleskin runs, boss runs, and farming the same few areas over and over. Sound familiar?
    Lets not forget the Stone of Jordan duping as well

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldreno View Post
    Seem to me thats person just wasted a ton of real money over RM auction to defeat bosses on Inferno to "feel better" than other players, and then Blizzard shut down RMAH, rendering his "achievements" nonimportant, so now he is very hateful about the company
    I've yet to see any sane person praising old Inferno, other than RMAH buyers, feeling good for their e-peen strokes. Oh, it was such a great "challenge"... attacking only with resource generators because everything else was support/survival abilities; having to constantly kite everything; "epic" drops which rarely exceeded a number of money you had to waste for repairs... old Inferno, you was the worst experience in games I've ever had.
    Last edited by l33t; 2015-10-09 at 10:48 PM.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    Yeah it has gotten a bit stale. Personally, I find climbing my personal Greater Rift score very challenging and rewarding and the grind becomes punishing but I never seem to stop finding it relaxing and enjoyable. Just the right balance of "slip and you're dead" and "chill grind". Around Grift 48 (T10) the game starts scaling exponentially and each step forward is paid with blood and toil. You start having to build differently and absolutely optimize. So each level you achieve is satisfying and paragon complements that well. For me, Diablo is perfect because it is 1:1 progression over time and you can immediately drop in and out of it as needed.
    The big problem, and why people feel like it's a grind, is that there is no carrot at the end of the path. You get higher and higher Grifts, bigger and bigger scores, and leaderboards to reflect how awesome you are, but it's kind of fleeting as the things exclusive to players at that level, the things that other players should be striving for are conspicuously absent. Sure, there's the legendary gems and paragon levels, there's improved drop rates to let you mill through loot faster and faster to try and get your legendaries to ancient legendary. There's new sets every patch which pave the way to new ways to build your character and they put a lot of back into keeping the game alive, but it's incredibly easy at this point to just get burned out.

The best part about Diablo 3, though, and not a lot of other games can say this, is that even if you do drop it, you can pick it up a year later and learn the ropes incredibly fast.