Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    Europe isn't part of the TTP.
    No, but it is part of the TTIP, which based on leaks, appears to be rather similar in terms of IP stuff.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Boomzy, there is nothing more safe for a small Vietnamese 8 year old enlisting as a 16 year old than a hot, machine filled shop where you're expected to pump out a shirt every five minutes. Your sarcasm is duly noted and poorly appreciated.
    It's been happening throughout all of human history. As soon as one group of disadvantaged people fight off their oppressors the predatory organizations have to either find a new source of pay or cut back on their wanton greed, and as long as their are people to abuse they'll continue to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emageht Tsoluoy View Post
    What the fucking fuck.

This is not America.

This is some fucked up twisted corporate utopia nightmare country.

is there any land left on earth i can make a country with?

this one is filled with shit.
    Couldja make your mind up, son?

Jokes aside, this is flat-out awful, and I hope activists everywhere (both real activists and slacktivists like most of us) make a real big fuckin' stink about it. In every medium we can reach.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

All member countries are also forced to follow US drug patent laws. Meaning that poorer countries will no longer be able to manufacture their own pharmaceuticals at a lower cost! Yay!

Deleted
    Watch this thing get pushed through anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emageht Tsoluoy View Post
    What the fucking fuck.

This is not America.

This is some fucked up twisted corporate utopia nightmare country.

is there any land left on earth i can make a country with?

this one is filled with shit.
    dissenter detected. deploying corporate reeducation team to specified location to silence the dissenter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Couldja make your mind up, son?

Jokes aside, this is flat-out awful, and I hope activists everywhere (both real activists and slacktivists like most of us) make a real big fuckin' stink about it. In every medium we can reach.
    it will be ignored. this is the future. humanity is doomed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/ has a free version and a premium version.
    it won't for long when this goes through.

i would usually be pissed about this...but i expected this right from the start when i heard about this trade agreement. so this is just confirming what i already suspected.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2015-10-10 at 06:26 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I believe you are correct, it will likely pass into law for a time,

Economically I see it being an absolute long term disaster. Essentially selling out our national future to bilk a few more bucks for the treasure hordes of a few today.

Trade agreements rarely if never work out for American laborers. Anyone have a inkling why Obama supports this thing? It just seems unusual for him (or any dem) and I am not the type to tin foil hat assume bribery is involved but I really can't see any other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Zabatakis View Post
    Trade agreements rarely if never work out for American laborers. Anyone have a inkling why Obama supports this thing? It just seems unusual for him (or any dem) and I am not the type to tin foil hat assume bribery is involved but I really can't see any other reason.
    It actually has been in the making for about 8 years, negotiated entirely in private with only the occasional leak to go on. It has been going on virtually Obama's entire presidency. Almost like all the other stuff he was doing were distractions from this.......

Also worth noting, not a single mainstream news station had the balls to mention this in the US, which is further proof, when it comes to important news, they are useless and if they aren't willing to mention it, many times it is because it is too important to what they want that we don't know about it so we can't stop it.
    Last edited by Fugus; 2015-10-10 at 06:53 AM.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    there is one simple reason:$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    And here's where the deep web gains more members.

10+ Year Old Account
    Copyright should be limited to the lifetime of the author, although I'd also support an option of infinite copyright in the cases where the author is deeply emotionally connected to his/her work, but with the added stipulation that once such protection was added, no-one could make any more "stuff" connected to said work, even if they were the heirs to the author in question. a.k.a. Suck it, Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorelol View Post
    TPP = Good for only corporations, garbage for everyone else.
    Of course, why do you think they make those agreements in secret, but have them apply to the public?
    Because their intend is to screw over the general public.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Copyright should be limited to the lifetime of the author, although I'd also support an option of infinite copyright in the cases where the author is deeply emotionally connected to his/her work, but with the added stipulation that once such protection was added, no-one could make any more "stuff" connected to said work, even if they were the heirs to the author in question. a.k.a. Suck it, Disney.
    A copyright for the lifetime of the author plus a decade but no more than thirty years in total sounds about right to me.
    It ensures that family and businesses that depend on the author aren't suddenly left with nothing when an author dies, but isn't so long as to choke creativity and leave us with no free material.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    No, but it is part of the TTIP, which based on leaks, appears to be rather similar in terms of IP stuff.
    Since it is made in secret with exclusion of even the European representatives, I think there must be something wrong with it.
    Why keep it secret if not because the public would never accept it?

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    A copyright for the lifetime of the author plus a decade but no more than thirty years in total sounds about right to me.
    It ensures that family and businesses that depend on the author aren't suddenly left with nothing when an author dies, but isn't so long as to choke creativity and leave us with no free material.
    Life of the author plus anything is too long for a copyright. It defeats the entire purpose of the copyright to begin with.

14 years plus a single 14 year extension if they choose should be the maximum for a copyright, especially in this day and age where even that is a bit long.

The limited time monopoly is so the author may make money from his work before it enters the public domain and to encourage him to make more, no amount of extension will encourage him to make more after he is dead.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Absolutely it will get pushed through. And the average person will still conclude that it's in their best interest, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Absolutely it will get pushed through. And the average person will still conclude that it's in their best interest, somehow.
    I think people are just afraid to raise hell.

Afraid that it will mean nothing, since there's cameras everywhere, the government can read everything on social media, and there's a jail cell waiting for you; complete with new "terrorism" legislation that treats social activism as terrorism and terrorists don't get due process.

Deleted
    The American political system is based on donations from lobbyists who "endorse" specific politicians, and lobbying - the on-the-table kind, without even considering any shady under-the-table deals that surely are commonplace, but there is no evidence, so let's assume it's not - is a multi-billion business.

Consider:

- America has the highest incarceration rate IN THE WORLD. This takes into account nice and shiny freedom states like China or Saudi Arabia. Why? The penitentiary sector is largely private, and spends lots of money on lobbying to keep the rate as high as possible

- America has the most expensive healthcare (18% of your GDP, unthinkable for any other country), which is still incredibly unfriendly to the end user and very inefficient in terms of value for money. Why? The insurance sector's lobbying.

- America has spent exorbitant money on two wars it was set up to lose from day one. Why? Hmmmm... could it be big oil and defense industry lobbyists at work again? Naaaah...

- And the list goes on, whatever you touch, wherever you look, you will see the same shit. Environmental regulations for fracking firms? Lifted. Protection of sensitive personal data and/or metadata? Nonexistant, compared to EU. Labour rights? Eroded slowly but steadily.

The US is of course not the only nation eaten away by this disease. It's just the patient zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    The American political system is based on donations from lobbyists who "endorse" specific politicians, and lobbying - the on-the-table kind, without even considering any shady under-the-table deals that surely are commonplace, but there is no evidence, so let's assume it's not - is a multi-billion business.

Consider:

- America has the highest incarceration rate IN THE WORLD. This takes into account nice and shiny freedom states like China or Saudi Arabia. Why? The penitentiary sector is largely private, and spends lots of money on lobbying to keep the rate as high as possible

- America has the most expensive healthcare (18% of your GDP, unthinkable for any other country), which is still incredibly unfriendly to the end user and very inefficient in terms of value for money. Why? The insurance sector's lobbying.

- America has spent exorbitant money on two wars it was set up to lose from day one. Why? Hmmmm... could it be big oil and defense industry lobbyists at work again? Naaaah...

- And the list goes on, whatever you touch, wherever you look, you will see the same shit. Environmental regulations for fracking firms? Lifted. Protection of sensitive personal data and/or metadata? Nonexistant, compared to EU. Labour rights? Eroded slowly but steadily.

The US is of course not the only nation eaten away by this disease. It's just the patient zero.
    Confirmed. Canada is slowly turning into a corporate shithole too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    American trade agreements fucking up the world again, good job.
    Even some left-wing(on economic issues) are for these kind of agreements, which only leave me with 1 choice for a party.

10+ Year Old Account
    Important thing to remember. Where is the most copyright violations of important stuff happening? Things like industrial design, software code, etc? China. Who didn't sign the agreement? Two guesses.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-