The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Advice about the Pops

Can't really sleep the more I think about it honestly, so i'm just gonna let it out here and tell me what you all think. You can tell me where and why I was wrong, about how shitty I am, and how to approach this going forward.

Parents met in the Navy, and a few unplanned kids later, left and raised us in corn fed Iowa. My dad grew up in the fucked up parts in Atlanta, and since we lived two entirely different lives, are very different. THe biggest difference being that he has chrasima like a mofo and extroverted where I am nowhere even close. Growing up, he worked all the time, and I think that showed when I started turning to other positive male role models in my late-teens, that in hindsight, drove a wedge.

When I turned 18, my dad would never stfu about going to Flordia and eventually,my parents took my sister/neice and amskrayed. Bout a year or so ago, parents split after 25 years, and my dad seems depressed since. I used to actually like drinking with him, but every time I talk to him/on the phone even, he seems to be under it more often than not. I don't understand why he just doesn't find someone else. He's more than capable. Instead, he just seems to get worse as his 25 year relationship devolves into a teenage drama. Makes no sense to me.

Either way, he seems to get more distant. I didn't notice at first, because I guess we already were to a high degree, but i'm actually starting to get worried about him. Not much I can do on the other side of the country though. Can I even do anything at all?

10+ Year Old Account
    Men seem to react to divorce differently from women, even if they were the ones who initiated the proceedings. Is your sister/niece in the area where he is living now? You could try speaking to her and asking her to check in on your dad. Otherwise, if you're concerned your dad might harm himself, there are VA services he should be able to access, including counseling. Just being able to talk to someone might help him a lot.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Men seem to react to divorce differently from women, even if they were the ones who initiated the proceedings. Is your sister/niece in the area where he is living now? You could try speaking to her and asking her to check in on your dad. Otherwise, if you're concerned your dad might harm himself, there are VA services he should be able to access, including counseling. Just being able to talk to someone might help him a lot.
    Younger sis and neice are with me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Younger sis and neice are with me.
    Any relatives at all local to your dad? Is he at all involved in social things like church or a club of some sort? Does he have any friends you know of? Honestly, if you can't be near him, you need to find someone who IS near him who cares enough to keep an eye on him.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Any relatives at all local to your dad? Is he at all involved in social things like church or a club of some sort? Does he have any friends you know of? Honestly, if you can't be near him, you need to find someone who IS near him who cares enough to keep an eye on him.
    He has plently of friends in Flordia.

He's a manager at a plant that makes wires that apparently took off when vape d-bags became a thing. Has plenly of co-workers, and never seems to have nothing to do in SW Florida.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    He has plently of friends in Flordia.

He's a manager at a plant that makes wires that apparently took off when vape d-bags became a thing. Has plenly of co-workers, and never seems to have nothing to do in SW Florida.
    Maybe get in touch with one of his friends and explain you're worried about your dad, since he's out there all alone with no family nearby, and try to get some information about how he's interacting with others. Also, you could try to schedule a trip out there to visit him. You could also make a more concerted effort to keep the lines of communication open.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama