Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why Hellfire Citadel killed raiding for me

As a raider for a decade, my raiding days have finally come to a halt with Hellfire Citadel.

Fatigue? Maybe some people will claim this, when reading my post. I dont blame you.

Having raided every raid on hardest difficulty since vanilla, and enjoyed every minute of it, may tell another story. Depends on how you choose to view what i have to say.

Getting ready for Hellfire, I was exited. I watched the videos on youtube, and liked the Legion themed style.

Setting my foot in it though... The green theme. Green everywhere! The tedious trash... i dont remember any raid having it THIS bad! The first boss. Its not even a boss!

Horrible design. I was hoping it would get better, but it went to worse... There is not a single boss in the raid, which is innovative or special in any way.

Granted, raiding for 10 years may have shown me every mechanic, but still... What i liked about BRF most was the share variety in boss mechanics. Thorgar took the price. Amazing encounter! Every raid used to have a few unique bosses you were really looking forward to, in the next difficulty, and you would love to replay them, to optimize your performance. The raid felt fresh, just when you thought blizzard was running low on ideas.

In this horrible, and for me - worst raid to DATE, none of the bosses show any sign of replayability. Not on one, two or 3 difficultys! For me, raiding died with HFC. I am hoping for a serious revival in Legion, should i choose to purchase it. Having only months and months of HFC to look forward to, since there is not a single thing to do outside raiding (and im even a player with 10 level 100s), the chances are slim...

What do you think of HFC?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Syldarin View Post
    There is not a single boss in the raid, which is innovative or special in any way.
    Are you sure you raided HFC at all? At the very least, Kilrogg (Visions), Gorefiend (dying makes you go to stomach) and Iskar (eye enabling you to deal with crucial mechanics) are quite "innovative". Xhul is also interesting with the way fel and shadow debuffs cancel and explode each other, and Velhari is also uncommon with the damage when moving debuff.

As far as final raid go it is kinda weak. The encounters are ok, the trash is a bit bore some, the lore/story line is just absurd. The fact we go in there and Grom is now just our buddy and we save him and let him take the spotlight is beyond ridiculous. The only trash I actually enjoy doing is the stuff up to Socrethar and watching bad healers let themselves die to the debuff.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodotnowin View Post
    Are you sure you raided HFC at all? At the very least, Kilrogg (Visions), Gorefiend (dying makes you go to stomach) and Iskar (eye enabling you to deal with crucial mechanics) are quite "innovative". Xhul is also interesting with the way fel and shadow debuffs cancel and explode each other, and Velhari is also uncommon with the damage when moving debuff.
    There is not one of these mechanics that is innovative. Being in another room to pull someting off in there goes way back. Remember Yogg Saron or Norushen? Lich King?? Being able to do something while under influence? Does Leotheras ring a bell? Xhul reminds me of a ton of bosses and dont get me started on kilrogg...

I could do without the Assassin. Just because Shattered Halls had a few I don't is a good reason to put that annoying trash in the raid LOL
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bama77563 View Post
    1. You sure you have done HFC?
    2. Worst raid to date? You've done all the other raids? lmao

/jokes
    Yes i have done all other raids to date. Hard to fathom?

Nothing will ever beat Dragon Soul, even solo that is exhausting so navigating 25 people on heroic. Get fucked if HFC was worse then that.
    "They will come for us now, all of them" "Let them come, Frostmourne The Banshee Queen hungers."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrizar View Post
    Nothing will ever beat Dragon Soul, even solo that is exhausting so navigating 25 people on heroic. Get fucked if HFC was worse then that.
    HFC is worse than that- But it is my personal opinion. I liked alot of the fights in DS. Because they introduced new and exciting mechanics. Hagara, Ultraxion and Spine stands out the most.

10+ Year Old Account
    everyone gets tired eventually, the magic will wear off. take a break. come back later.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    everyone gets tired eventually, the magic will wear off. take a break. come back later.
    Pretty much this ^ after awhile everything can get tiresome..

No matter what raid it is after awhile it all seems the same, kill stuff fast get loot move on to next boss, rinse and repeat..

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes i have done all other raids to date. Hard to fathom?
    have you forgotten about the insane amount of tedious trash in BT?

You do realise there are only so many different mechanics that could be used in a fight? I'd say they did a pretty solid job with fights like the more unique fights, even if they have in fact been done in some manner to some extent in one of the hundreds of previous raid bosses. Originality can't last forever, eventually you'll have done everything at least once.

I do agree about the green, the trash, and the first boss though.

I thought Dragon Soul killed raiding according to everyone? Or was it Siege of Orgrimmar that killed raiding, according to everyone? Or is it NOW Hellfire that killed raiding? I get so confused these days - how many times can Raiding be actually killed? Or is it actually just all nonsense....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Owenm View Post
    I thought Dragon Soul killed raiding according to everyone? Or was it Siege of Orgrimmar that killed raiding, according to everyone? Or is it NOW Hellfire that killed raiding? I get so confused these days - how many times can Raiding be actually killed? Or is it actually just all nonsense....
    /thread . .

I would suggest a break good sir I skipped most or cata and only came back in the final 2 months of mop best decision ever even the apparent badness of WoD is next to none existant in my mind

Deleted
    Being in another room to pull someting off in there goes way back. Remember Yogg Saron or Norushen? Lich King??
    But the way this happens is different from clicking a portal or everyone going inside. There is a big difference between going to the stomach on Gorefiend and going to the Nether on Archimonde.
    Being able to do something while under influence? Does Leotheras ring a bell?
    Oh please, as if they have anything to do with each other. Wanna compare damaging an add only you can see to requiring a special encounter mechanic to counter several debuffs/doing interrupts?

I just think you're grasping at straws. If you don't like raiding anymore, then don't raid, but don't blame it on the activity itself. Raiding was amazing this expansion.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Having raided every raid on hardest difficulty since vanilla...The tedious trash... i dont remember any raid having it THIS bad!
    Did you skip SSC?
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Having raided every raid on hardest difficulty since vanilla
    That's quite a feat considering there was no such thing as Raid difficulty settings until Wotlk.

7+ Year Old Account
    Exactly my feelings towards this raid. An endless exercise in add control bosses and just going from portal to portal. Wanna go to the last boss. No problem, just go through 4 portals instead of trudging through this, supposedly, huge fel demon complex.

Every single boss encounter except for: Iron Reaver, High Council, Kormrok and Zakuun is an add control fight. Be it a total trash-mob fight ala Hellfire Assault or a total borefest that is Mannoroth with his useless imps that die to 2 sinister strikes, it's just a lazy boss design. I can see where they went with it, but I hate it.

Tedious tra...wait what?

As a final instance this place has the least trash I can remember.

As for the first boss...while tedious I think this was one of the more thought out ideas. I mean, what fortress is going ot leave it's doors open for the random heroes to just blitz through. So of course you've got to bust down the doors and of course they're going to try and stop you. I'm not saying that encounter is anything special, but for you to actually have to bust down the door to actually get into the instance proper was quite original.

I also dont recall being under any influence while fighting Leo the Blind.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it