Thread: Probiotics?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Probiotics?

Do probiotics and fermented food keep you healthy? What do you think of these fad diets? Low fat? Low carb? The recommended daily allowance for carbs is 300g. Is that a plot by the greedy corporations to make us sick? I don't want to end up like most older Americans I see.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do you think cheerleaders and jocks eat probiotics?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Probiotics are a made up concept. Medically the term means nothing.
    Fermented food is alcohol.
    Fad diets, low carb diets, low fat diets are all a crock of shit. Eat a balanced diet, which probably means lower in fat and carbs than you're used to, but not an absurd one.

From what I heard from the experts in person at the university, they are of practically no influence at all, if you drink probiotic stuff when you're healthy. Your intestinal climate will pretty much be occupied with a delicate and working balance of bacteria that even the best new ones you're trying to introduce, just generally don't find the opportunity to integrate into.
    But, they do actually seem to help when your intestinal flora have been compromised, and is not in balance..

So, if you are suffering from severe diarrhea or are using antibiotics to fight a bacterial infection, that is also likely to have adverse effects on the benevolent bacteria living in your intestines, I would recommend them! Otherwise, it's just not worth it. Go eat something else.

So in simple terms: If you're sick, try some probiotics. If you're healthy, they have no real statistical benefits in most cases.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2015-10-12 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Fermented food is alcohol.
    Nope, not in the op's context.
    I totally agree with the rest of your post though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    So, if you are suffering from severe diarrhea or are using antibiotics to fight a bacterial infection, that is also likely to have adverse effects on the benevolent bacteria living in your intestines, I would recommend them!

So in simple terms: If you're sick, try some probiotics. If you're healthy, they have no real statistical benefits in most cases.
    I somewhat agree, it should be mentioned though that there is no need to buy those fancy (read: expensive) probiotics, simple yogurt will do, especially when it's 'old' yogurt, not spoiled, obviously, but well after the expiring date.

Fecal matter transplants are in the news and pro-biotics remind me of FMTs. Fecal matter transplants seem silly but I've heard it's a legit medical practice. I'm not sure why they do it though.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Lillefjollet View Post
    It should be mentioned though that there is no need to buy those fancy (read: expensive) probiotics, simple yogurt will do, especially when it's 'old' yogurt, not spoiled, obviously, but well after the expiring date.
    Eh, it depends on the bacteria inside. Good probiotics would try to have a mix of different strains of benevolent and productive micro-organisms inside. You can't just add whatever bacteria you want, and hope for the best.

Yogurt does have bacteria inside. I am no expert on which types it holds, or if those are all beneficial to introduce into your intestines as permanent guests. But probiotics should, when legit, offer a bigger and better selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Fecal matter transplants are in the news and pro-biotics remind me of FMTs. Fecal matter transplants seem silly but I've heard it's a legit medical practice. I'm not sure why they do it though.
    Pretty much for the possible reasons Caerule named.
    If you have to take antibiotics for a while it can totally mess up your intestinal flora, killing it, basically D:
    So yeah FMT can be the only thing that really helps in such cases.

The so-called Fecal Matter Transplants are proving very helpful in cases where the intestinal flora has been compromised, yeah. I'm sure we can see those sort of treatments expanding. A lot of people have intestinal problems, and this pretty much introduces the intestinal flora from a healthy person, into the patient.

The idea of FMT seems gross when you first hear it, but it's effective and may end up helping many people.
    It's much more effective than probiotics, but every bit may help when you're struggling with illness.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2015-10-12 at 06:34 AM.

probiotics should, when legit, offer a bigger and better selection.
    Absolutely, but last word I heard on that matter was that the stuff you typically get in super markets sucks, the problem all of those probiotic products have is that only a smallish amount of the active bacteria will actually make it to your bowels >.<
    The amounts you get when buying and using the usual suspect products are just too small to make a difference.
    Edit: Because it gets killed off in your stomach, I assume by gastric acid? I would have to read up on that again.
    Edit2: I found this on the wikipedia site
    Probiotics taken orally can be destroyed by the acidic conditions of the stomach. A number of microencapsulation techniques are being developed to address this problem.
    Last edited by Lillefjollet; 2015-10-12 at 06:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Do you think cheerleaders and jocks eat probiotics?
    Beautiful.

Most fad diets are stupid and have the potential to be harmful. Everyone wants to cut corners and find the newest 'thing' that will drop fat off without much effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillefjollet View Post
    Absolutely, but last word I heard on that matter was that the stuff you typically get in super markets sucks, the problem all of those probiotic products have is that only a smallish amount of the active bacteria will actually make it to your bowels >.<
    The amounts you get when buying and using the usual suspect products are just too small to make a difference.
    Edit: Because it gets killed off in your stomach, I assume by gastric acid? I would have to read up on that again.
    High acidity is a problem. As will no doubt be the enzymes that break down proteins that operate inside the acidic environment of the stomach.
    Mind you, it only takes one successful bacterium to found a colony. But the odds of them being successful at that is small, in a healthy intestine already fully occupied with competitors. In the end, it doesn't really matter how many get through, if they have no chance at integration.

But yeah, it's certainly not medicine. I'm sure you can put good bacteria in a carbohydrate capsule that will only digest in the intestines, past the stomach, for much greater effect than probiotic products available in super markets. Still, some possible effect for the ill, is always better than no effect. I know an asprin and honey tea aren't going to make my cold/fever go away, but every little bit helps .
    Last edited by Caerule; 2015-10-12 at 06:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probiotics. Does it work? Probably not. Stomach acid nukes most things so the theoretical "good stuff" doesn't make it into the intestines.
    Does it sell? Yes, people love buzzwords and fads. Alternative Medicine. Although my sister in law says she poops better after eating "pro-biotic yogurt". I think it's because her diet is shit, and the yogurt is the only redeeming feature.

To paraphrase Tim Minchin:
    "Do you know what they call alternative medicine that is clinically tested, peer reviewed, and shown to be effective? Medicine."

Fecal transplants, direct moving of the bacteria and poop into someone else's body, is interesting. Thus far it seems to be effective in the cases I've read about. And if needed, I'd go through with it, either as a donor or recipient. Gives new meaning to second hand shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Fecal transplants, direct moving of the bacteria and poop into someone else's body, is interesting.
    Interesting? What an odd choice of a word. But then I noticed your name and it all makes sense.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are healthy and want to stick healthy during the fall winter periods, start looking at vitamins. Things as propolis or sambucus berry extracts can work well to prevent common illnesses like colds.

As others have pointed out probiotics don't do anything for you when healthy. I believe that it is even rather expensive to also just keep using them.

10+ Year Old Account
    My mother finds yogurt helpful for preventing opiate-related constipation.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Commercials confuse me, is it supposed to make me blowout, or not blowout

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Commercials confuse me, is it supposed to make me blowout, or not blowout
    According to the commercials whatever your condition is, you will poop rose scented chocolate mousse sausages with smooth sticky yet soft texture and will never fart again in your life. You also lose 5 inches from your waist.

You also start smiling at work and while jogging.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post

You also start smiling at work and while jogging.
    I thought that was when your hurrying to the bathroom and it looks like your going to make it.

15+ Year Old Account
    From what I heard from the experts in person at the university, they are of practically no influence at all, if you drink probiotic stuff when you're healthy. Your intestinal climate will pretty much be occupied with a delicate and working balance of bacteria that even the best new ones you're trying to introduce, just generally don't find the opportunity to integrate into.
    But, they do actually seem to help when your intestinal flora have been compromised, and is not in balance...
    I agree with what this guy said (well, the part that I quoted atleast). It's no use when healthy, somewhat useful when your intestinal microbiota is compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Fecal matter contains loads of bacteria usually present in the colon. In a healthy person, the biodiversity is high, the microbiota can co-exist and the gut stays healthy. A large portion gets flushed out during persistalsis of the gut together with the faeces. This means that a fecal matter transfer would transfer those healthy microbiota populations to the person without a proper biodiversity.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)