The resto damage thread

Current leaderboards: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...ration&boss=-1

What is this? If this tier is gonna last a while I think most people will start running out of stuff to do very quickly, getting sweet ranks and gear will only last you so long. Maybe we can get some interest going in the off-role metrics IE Damage for healers. Now that guilds are finishing up progress and starting the long farm period I think this is a good time to bring some attention to the lesser known parts of warcraftlogs.

Warcraftlog has always tracked and ranked all specs of all metrics but added support this tier for off-role all stars. resto dps ranks are calculated the exact same way resto healing ranks are but just kinda hidden away on the site and not a lot of people know about it (or care).

I thought we should have a thread in the making if this tier drags out and people are so bored out of their mind so they might actually consider doing this. Everything about pushing higher damage specced as resto can go into this thread even if it's just ways to help you maintain flame shock over a full boss fight without sacrificing healing output or how you push out the maximum amount of damage while taking a minimal hit on your healing to entirely giving up on healing and go full out max dps.

How to get started:
    If you ever have flame shocked or dealt damage to a boss in HFC you should already be ranked and have a all star rank. If you wanna check your current rank without having done anything you can check the leaderbords above and Ctrl F your name and keep going to the next page until you find your name.

Midmaxing:

I wanna leave this section open for now so if someone wants to do some theorycrafting and post results with math backing up we can fill it out for the future.

Talent choices:

T45: Call of the elements healing gain, No talents give dps gains

T60 All talents give DPS and healing beenfits heavy on math

T75 No dps benefits only healing benefits.

Ancestral guidance: If you don't plan on healing at all AG is the best choice for full out DPSing

Rushing streams: Normally a great talent, no dps gain but Healing stream is one of the highest healing per use spells we have so if you want to do some healing while dpsing rushing streams is great.

Conductivity: Niche normally for healing only used on very few fights if any and you get even less use out of when not spamming healing wave when idle. Never use.

T90

Unleash fury: Subpar healing zero dps gain Never use

Storm Elemental totem: DPS gain, worst healing talent. When going full out dps storm elemental is must.

High tide only choice for healing zero dps gain. If you still care about your healing done pick this

Glyphs:

Direct DPS effecting glyphs

Chain lightning

Fire elemental totem

Shocks

Grounding totem

Grounding: Only if combined with glyph of Grounding totem

Gear:
    - Trinkets:
    - Stats:

Rotation:
    - Single target

From highest DPS per use to lowest

Fire elemental

Searing totem

Flame shock (full dot)

Lava burst

Lightning bolt

(Grounding totem depends on what spell reflected)

More boss damage is always good but I think you might be addressing this in an inefficient way. If you start thinking about maximising dps while healing specced you might just think about min-maxing your healing and cd usage, dropping a healer and warming up your ele or enhance spec, which will yield much more for your raid.

Dropping fire-ele on pull, using a flame-shock or something else here and there is nice and proper play but if you're serious to increase raid dps the healing spec is probably not the correct place.

Another thing is that the resto shaman should due to the mastery probably not be the one switching out. a resto shaman will gain alot more from having less healers around - buffering the loss of the healer - and underhealing would be easier.

Most people that are high ranked in this metric were bored out of their mind or just not healing to enable a rank for another healer as visible in the lack of healing compared to their cohealers and could very likely just as well have played dps.

A better approach to get the same result would be a thread to underheal the current encounters.

Pointless. Just keep dropping a healer on fights to push your healers / keep them interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Deiae View Post
    Most people that are high ranked in this metric were bored out of their mind or just not healing to enable a rank for another healer as visible in the lack of healing compared to their cohealers and could very likely just as well have played dps.
    Pretty much the people I looked for in making this thread. I think at least 50% of my guild is getting to that bored out of their mind stage and those who are not will get there in 1-6 weeks of farming tops.

And yes everyone this is 100% completely pointless just for fun and just to give you something to do in raids. If you have anything in raids worthwhile like actually any kind of progress DO THAT, NOT THIS but once you finished that feel free to come back here (bookmark it if you feel it might intresst you someday and maybe try and push some dps ranks for a week or two. I wont be trying it this week, I still need healing ranks and our guild can't do flawless farm clears but I just made this thread to have it written down so if I am looking for something to do in 2 months and still no beta I can do this for a few weeks maybe before going back to normal stuff.

If your guild is good enough to drop healers that also another way to keep yourself interested but sadly not all guilds have the GM or offciers willing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    T90

Unleash fury: Subpar healing zero dps gain Never use

Storm Elemental totem: DPS gain, worst healing talent. When going full out dps storm elemental is must.

High tide only choice for healing zero dps gain. If you still care about your healing done pick this
    Uh... I'm pretty sure you just put Unleashed Fury in the level 100 talents.

EotE is almost for sure required if you do this. I know you said 'math' but it heavily beats out EM/AS for damage on fights. There are so many times in fights where you accumulate 2 lava bursts (not to mention even if you use it on cooldown, the second charge is being built in the ~1.5 second cast that is the first lava burst) that it is almost always better for DPS unless if you are doing some fight where you are killing iron reaver in ~1.5-2 minutes. But if you were doing this, you would simply drop a healer in the first place and not have your resto shaman even in there (if hes not healing, that is). We just simply don't gain much from damage even with a 30% haste cooldown or passive 5% haste (think about the sources of our damage).

And the other massive thing is you have to spec out of all of your mastery which is bigger than any of this talent or rotation switching. Mastery does nothing for our damage and so if you change over the ~3-4k that most of us have at any given time, you will get more out of your damage than anything else.

T90 is also messed up. Its PE at T90 and SE at T100 but I think most people realize this anyway.

I kind of echo what other people have already said but everyone has their reasons for why they want to do this (Personally I just sit and let our holy paladin / disc priest 2 heal everything and come in on 3-4 total farm fights now) and so I get it.

One thing I want to add for people who don't care about this topic is don't forget about the silly amount of burst you can do as a resto shaman with EotE on progression fights. It really does add up over time. Often times if you have a holy paladin / disc priest duo in the raid, you can get away with it more often. If no one is at risk of dying, you should be dpsing IF it makes sense to do it especially when there is target switching involved since we can dish out a good bit of burst with EotE. Obviously in the long run you are not going to get much out of just pure boss damage (without significantly compromising healing especially when you consider that no one in their right mind will be spec'ing out of mastery on progression to try this out). But still, we can burst consistently 200-300k damage for instance on each doomfire spirit on mythic archimonde which the other healers can't really do. It might sound like a little but dpsing appropriately on fights can make a difference on progression.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even if you drop a healer, you can still do a considerable amount of damage as a healer. Keep a Fire Totem up, Flame Shock and use EB. Mix in LvB and LB at times when damage is low. Keep Fire Ele totem on CD. Even if you do 1m damage, that can end up killing that progression boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Houselol View Post
    Pointless. Just keep dropping a healer on fights to push your healers / keep them interested.
    Well, the real sport is to maximize your damage while still doing your share of the healing. Since you're already using Elemental Blast more or less on cooldown and presumably using Fire Elemental Totem whenever that's useful, it doesn't take all that many GCDs to also keep Flame Shock and Searing Totem up. And then you just cast Lava Burst as often as you're able to. The difference in damage done between healing at ~80% capacity and doing some DPS versus going for zero healing and full DPS is almost negligible on farm content. Lightning Bolt barely tickles. As long as you use Echo of the Elements, you can heal when it's needed and DPS when it's not, without ever having Riptide or Lava Burst sitting off cooldown.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

I gave this my best shot this week (Here ) Can't say that there is a lot of competition right now but if somebody wants to try and beat my 716 All star points as resto dps the challenge is on.

My biggest problem ranking this week is keybindings

How the hell do you guys find room for all the extra dps keybindings? Maybe we can share some macros here that help. I tried making this it may look a bit dirty but it works alright and condenses a lot of binds into one minor cd key.

#showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=300 Fire Elemental Totem, Earth Elemental Totem
    /cast Elemental Mastery
    /use 14
    /cast Ancestral Guidance

Currently rank 2 all star!

Quote Originally Posted by Deiae View Post
    More boss damage is always good but I think you might be addressing this in an inefficient way. If you start thinking about maximising dps while healing specced you might just think about min-maxing your healing and cd usage, dropping a healer and warming up your ele or enhance spec, which will yield much more for your raid.

Dropping fire-ele on pull, using a flame-shock or something else here and there is nice and proper play but if you're serious to increase raid dps the healing spec is probably not the correct place.

Another thing is that the resto shaman should due to the mastery probably not be the one switching out. a resto shaman will gain alot more from having less healers around - buffering the loss of the healer - and underhealing would be easier.

A better approach to get the same result would be a thread to underheal the current encounters.

Agree 100%.