Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Would the world be a better place without religion?

Just wanted your opinion in general.

In my personal life, I don't see any benefits. I had a good friend who become more religious in the past couple of months, but now she is just judgemental on everything that I am doing. I work full time, attending Uni, but yet she has the nerve to say "oh everybody finds time for church" - I can barely sit for 5 min. So she finished contact with me over that.

I understand that the wars today are driven with poltics and a spice of religion in order to recruit people, but is there good ina religion and would the world be a better place without religion?
    Last edited by mmoc1821e159aa; 2015-10-13 at 11:26 AM.

Almost certainly yes.

Religion helped us along when it was all we had to learn about the world. In todays day and age it serves no actual purpose and it only exists due to tradition. If parents didn't raise their kids with religion then they'd most likely not become religious.

10+ Year Old Account
    For many, the belief in something bigger than oneself is a great source for calm, determination and compassion. Religion is great for this.

On the other hand, I've yet to see a single act commited in the name of religion, that hasn't also been commited in the name of something else.

So personally, I think the world would either be the same, or slightly (veeeery slightly) worse off without religion. But probably no difference.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Secular morality has long outpaced that of any religion; we can be good without it. The other benefits don't outweigh the drawbacks. Yes, we'd be better off without.

10+ Year Old Account
    Incoming thread close in 5, 4, 3...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Incoming thread close in 5, 4, 3...
    Why? No one is bashing a specific religion, it is just a general discussion

That double negative though...

Quote Originally Posted by BlindedElF View Post
    Why? No one is bashing a specific religion, it is just a general discussion
    That's not how it works.

In before the lock!

OT: It would be the same.

Deleted
    Yes, definitely.

Sadly the brainwashed idiots are allowing it to continue.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, because humans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    That double negative though...

That's not how it works.
    "religion bashing is agasint forum terms" - I fail to see any bashing so far, if it gets locked then I sure got some opinions beforehand

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Religion helped us along when it was all we had to learn about the world. In todays day and age it serves no actual purpose and it only exists due to tradition. If parents didn't raise their kids with religion then they'd most likely not become religious.
    That is false. I'd probably estimate that at least 40% of today's aetheists are raised with religion. I definitely know of a few friends IRL who fall into that category. Likewise, my parents left the decision to me on taking up religion or not, and I chose to do so. They never forced it upon me, and neither of them really believe themselves. That is obviously a rarer circumstance, but you can't just outright say that the only thing keeping religious beliefs alive is the previous generation's influence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does removing religion remove people?

Quote Originally Posted by BlindedElF View Post
    "religion bashing is agasint forum terms" - I fail to see any bashing so far, if it gets locked then I sure got some opinions beforehand
    It's not what it is, it's what it will become.

See post #11. It doesn't bash a certain religion, but religion itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously not... The world was a peaceful utopia for much of recorded history when religious morals kept humanity in check. It is only recently through the rise of atheism and their lack of morals that violence and crime emerged in human society.

/sarcasm

Deleted
    Most likely yes.

15+ Year Old Account
    It would be better without certain parts of religion, definitely.

You have a whole aspect of it that focuses on dictating how people should act and think, which is pushed not only on the religious individual, but causes them to push it on others. I think we'd be a lot better off without this.

But you also have a big aspect of it, the aspect that I think attracts most moderate religious people (i.e. the ones who believe but don't follow, or cherry-picks, the rules and teachings) that focuses on the idea that there's something larger than yourself, that you're loved unconditionally, that things happen for a reason and that the pain will be relieved in favor of happiness in the afterlife. I think a lot of people need this aspect of religion. There's a lot of bad in the world, and it brings a lot of comfort and purpose to people who wouldn't otherwise feel any.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    It's not what it is, it's what it will become.

See post #11. It doesn't bash a certain religion, but religion itself.
    Well atleast I got some opinions regarding my topic before lock (y)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    That is false. I'd probably estimate that at least 40% of today's aetheists are raised with religion. I definitely know of a few friends IRL who fall into that category. Likewise, my parents left the decision to me on taking up religion or not, and I chose to do so. They never forced it upon me, and neither of them really believe themselves. That is obviously a rarer circumstance, but you can't just outright say that the only thing keeping religious beliefs alive is the previous generation's influence.
    How so? If you're born in a particular part of the world you're likely to belong to the dominant religion of that area. This is because parents teach it to their children or the community at large do.

Otherwise how else do most people come into their religion? Some people will obviously seek religion thats not the point he was making. The vast majority believe in something because they were taught at a young age to do so. Thats the previous generation influencing the current/next one.