Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    The only logical reason anyone would take a case off a clock and put it inside a briefcase, then have the alarm go off during class, is to have it look like a hoax bomb. That's what the school treated it like.
    Yes, first thought is hoax bomb...... clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    Ahmed Mohamed is a fraud he didn't invent crap he didn't put shit together from scraps
    he took a digital alarm clock out of its case and mounted it into a box
    And as a teen you were never full of shit? Somehow I doubt that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Or to just carry it around ? How do you carry around a disassembled clock if not in a case ?
    Screwed to the case? Ya, right.

Aren't most actual bombs triggered by some sort of mechanical device? Like a pressure switch, tuned to be sensitive to the weight of what you intend to blow up?

Doesn't only hollywood make clock bombs? Because A:

How the fuck do you know with 100% certainty you'll be able to plant the bomb before the time elapses, like what if you sleep in, get stuck in traffic, etc?
    B: How the fuck do you know your intended target will be exactly where the bomb is at that exact time?
    and
    C: In the mean time how the fuck do you know somebody won't find your bomb, and alert the bomb squad who will then know exactly how much time they have to evacuate the area and then blow it apart with a water cannon so they can put it back together for clues about who made it?

Clock bombs are a shitstain hollywood invention. They exist for nothing more than plot manipulation...

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    The only logical reason anyone would take a case off a clock and put it inside a briefcase, then have the alarm go off during class, is to have it look like a hoax bomb. That's what the school treated it like.
    Again, not a briefcase. Pencil case. Very very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Aren't most actual bombs triggered by some sort of mechanical device? Like a pressure switch, tuned to be sensitive to the weight of what you intend to blow up?

Doesn't only hollywood make clock bombs? Because A:

How the fuck do you know with 100% certainty you'll be able to plant the bomb before the time elapses, like what if you sleep in, get stuck in traffic, etc?
    B: How the fuck do you know your intended target will be exactly where the bomb is at that exact time?
    and
    C: In the mean time how the fuck do you know somebody won't find your bomb, and alert the bomb squad who will then know exactly how much time they have to evacuate the area and then blow it apart with a water cannon so they can put it back together for clues about who made it?

Clock bombs are a shitstain hollywood invention. They exist for nothing more than plot manipulation...
    That's the whole point.
    The situation is so stupid that Hollywood is dictating what is considered dangerous.
    Imagine a world where the next Avengers movie dictates who gets arrested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    This looks like a clock to you?

Usually when I think of a clock they look like this:

If you're trolling me now just be honest lol.
    It certainly doesn't look like a bomb. Where are the explosives?
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    No, your point is just weak. There is no reason to say that he did anything intentionally to make the clock look suspicious. Nothing about anything he did was suspicious unless you want to make the claim that every single device in all circumstances that has any exposed wires or circuitry is suspicious.
    does this look suspicious to you? does this look like a bomb?

would you report this to anyone if it was left alone on some park bench?

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    That's the whole point.
    The situation is so stupid that Hollywood is dictating what is considered dangerous.
    Imagine a world where the next Avengers movie dictates who gets arrested.
    I mean don't we already live in this world... Too many people have seen movies with "terrorists" that set up "time bombs". Because apparently villains always lose because they've never heard of surgical strikes. "The queen will be standing on the precipice at exactly 4:30, right after the KISS concert, because a concert has never started late and run over time. let's put it in this suspiciously placed briefcase that has the timer visible from the outside and leave it beside this phone booth. Nobody will ever find it several hours before it goes off"

- - - Updated - - -

does this look suspicious to you does this look like a bomb?

would you report this to any one if it was left alone on some park bench?
    I would call the police if I saw a pressure cooker just sitting on some park bench, because a pressure vessel is an essential component for a bomb. Not to mention very few people actually own pressure cookers these days. So yeah... a pressure cooker sitting on a bench is suspicious.

Nobody has ever made a bomb out of a clock and a pencil case before... because it wouldn't work and would be retarded and you'd have to be retarded to think it would work.

Yes it does. I can't see what is inside.

Even if some dimwit thought they would bring their pressure cooker with them after cooking something in it, and forgot it on a park bench... it would still be extremely dangerous... some kid could come along and open it and end up with 3rd degree burns.

would you report this to anyone if it was left alone on some park bench?
    In addition to the previous posters who pointed out the problems with this, it also adds further ambiguity to your standard of what qualifies as suspicious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? lol, you think these people are dumb for not guessing "clock"? Endus, what do you think this object is? No cheating, let's get an honest answer.

I honestly have no idea. I can't read the writing given the size of the image, but all I see are some electrical components. I've seen scarier stuff while doing home renovations. I'm certainly not going to leap to assuming it might be a bomb, because I have no grounds to make that assumption.

Hell, it might even be a bomb. But that's the thing; a well-made bomb isn't going to look like a bomb.

You do realize he just took the casing off of an old clock and put it in a brief case, right?
    Pencil case. No briefcase. By saying "brief case", you're trying to make the clock seem way bigger than it actually was.

Yeah he's taking his sweet time with guessing what the object I posted was.
    Or maybe I've actually got work to do today, and was busy?

would you report this to any one if it was left alone on some park bench?
    Nope. Looks like a pressure cooker. No, I wouldn't report it; I'd probably look inside, though. But then, Canada and Canadians aren't paralyzed by the fear of some vanishingly unlikely possibility. It's way more likely that someone up here's forgotten their food.

Because hell; I've made chili every year for my grad program's potluck, and that involves me carrying that chili over to the party in a pot that looks almost exactly like that. I've never had anyone accuse me of carrying a bomb, because that would be insane.

I mean don't we already live in this world... Too many people have seen movies with "terrorists" that set up "time bombs". Because apparently villains always lose because they've never heard of surgical strikes. "The queen will be standing on the precipice at exactly 4:30, right after the KISS concert, because a concert has never started late and run over time. let's put it in this suspiciously placed briefcase that has the timer visible from the outside and leave it beside this phone booth. Nobody will ever find it several hours before it goes off"

- - - Updated - - -

I would call the police if I saw a pressure cooker just sitting on some park bench, because a pressure vessel is an essential component for a bomb. Not to mention very few people actually own pressure cookers these days. So yeah... a pressure cooker sitting on a bench is suspicious.

Nobody has ever made a bomb out of a clock and a pencil case before... because it wouldn't work and would be retarded and you'd have to be retarded to think it would work.
    you give me 5 minutes a foot of wire a blasting cap and some explosive material and Ahmed little home made clock would be a timed bomb, and im not even a electronics expert all that would need to be done is hook the wire to the alarm speaker and the other end to the blasting cap and presto you have a timed bomb

so I will ask if you seen Ahmeds little home made clock opened on a park bench are you going to do study it to see if it had any explosives in it? you know something like this

does any of that look like explosives to you looks like play doe to me or even an eraser something you might even find in a pencil box
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2015-10-13 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Nope. Looks like a pressure cooker. No, I wouldn't report it; I'd probably look inside, though.
    Pressure cookers are deceptively dangerous. Especially that one... ChroMo steal on the outside, so it's definitely double walled, so it's probably insulated and it has no visible pressure guage... So there's no way to know what the pressure on the inside of it is. So opening it on a random encounter could be lethal.

10+ Year Old Account
    you give me 5 minutes a foot of wire a blasting cap and some explosive material and Ahmed little home made clock would be a timed bomb, and im not even a electronics expert all that would need to be done is hook the wire to the alarm speaker and the other end to the blasting cap and presto you have a timed bomb
    The same applies to literally every other clock, for the same reasons. So unless you're banning clocks, because they're all 'hoax bombs', you're being wildly inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I honestly have no idea. I can't read the writing given the size of the image, but all I see are some electrical components. I've seen scarier stuff while doing home renovations. I'm certainly not going to leap to assuming it might be a bomb, because I have no grounds to make that assumption.

Hell, it might even be a bomb. But that's the thing; a well-made bomb isn't going to look like a bomb.

Pencil case. No briefcase. By saying "brief case", you're trying to make the clock seem way bigger than it actually was.

Or maybe I've actually got work to do today, and was busy?

Nope. Looks like a pressure cooker. No, I wouldn't report it; I'd probably look inside, though. But then, Canada and Canadians aren't paralyzed by the fear of some vanishingly unlikely possibility. It's way more likely that someone up here's forgotten their food.

Because hell; I've made chili every year for my grad program's potluck, and that involves me carrying that chili over to the party in a pot that looks almost exactly like that. I've never had anyone accuse me of carrying a bomb, because that would be insane.
    you do realize the Boston Marathon bomb was made out of a pressure cooker

so I will ask if you seen Ahmeds little home made clock opened on a park bench are you going to do study it to see if it had any explosives in it? you know something like this

does any of that look like explosives to you looks like play doe to me
    The point is high speed, stable, shapable plastique explosives aren't readily available to most terrorists; let alone some random 14 year old, in a country where post offices are equipped with machines that can detect said explosives.

The most common solution for an IED is to set off a common combustible material (such as gun powder) inside a cheap pressure vessel, such as a capped iron pipe, or a pressure cooker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pressure cookers are deceptively dangerous. Especially that one... ChroMo steal on the outside, so it's definitely double walled, so it's probably insulated and it has no visible pressure guage... So there's no way to know what the pressure on the inside of it is. So opening it on a random encounter could be lethal.
    Highly unlikely that it would be, though. Death-by-pressure-cooker isn't exactly common. I'm just saying that assuming everything is a bomb is insane. You can hide a bomb in a backpack, too. Hell, the Boston Marathon bomb was hidden in just that way. That doesn't mean I assume everyone I see with a backpack is a bomber carrying a bomb, because again, doing so is insane.

- - - Updated - - -

you do realize the Boston Marathon bomb was made out of a pressure cooker
    And hidden inside a backpack. See my above statement about how insane it would be to assume every single person you see with a backpack is secretly a bomber.

You're engaging in naked fearmongering, and it's irrational and wrongheaded.

10+ Year Old Account

does any of that look like explosives to you looks like play doe to me
    Yeah, it could be C4. C4 looks like play dough. But I don't see anything like that in the clock.
    Putin khuliyo