Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I actually think she's a good actress, just people discredit her because of her role in the Twilight movies.
    And her mouth halfway open thing she does in most movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If only we could convince more women it was their problem and not ours.
    I feel the sentiment is ruined by this

“Are we socially conditioned to behave this way? We’ve only been able to vote for what, 90 years?” Lawrence writes. “Could there still be a lingering habit of trying to express our opinions in a certain way that doesn’t ‘offend’ or ‘scare’ men?”
    Despite everything it looks to me that she is still blaming society for their shortcomings. I guess she's still saying that is women's fault, but seems to make it like "it's my fault, but not really my fault".

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked the Snow White movie. The only part that bothered me was her speech when she woke up from the Huntsman kiss. It was cringe worthy, imo... but the rest was fine.
    I found the tone, the supporting actors/actresses, and numerous other aspects perfectly fine, but any time the director brought the camera near her it pretty much came to a dead stop. Her performance was absolutely stale, and yet high levels of focus was put on her throughout the movie.

Probably the biggest example of this being when they went into that clearing and there were a bunch of fantastical creatures, but about half the screen time was spent focused on her face. I don't care about her face. I care about the scene they were creating around her, because that was what was interesting. And to be fair, that specific part really isn't her fault; it was obviously a director who wanted to suck in attention by focusing on a prominent actress. But it absolutely killed the movie for me. There are very, very few movies that I walk of feeling like I have completely wasted my time. These were views I expressed in my review on these forums soon after it was released, and it was one echoed by quite a few professional critics. Those who found it salvageable credited this more to Charlize.

Maybe she is a bad victim of circumstances, and her current status among film critics is less the product of an inability to act and more a product of being put into a dead pan movie series, and the one instance I have seen was a victim of what was ultimately a bad director and writer (a cavalry charge on a castle? Really? What braindead moron wrote that script?). And I'm not really one to avoid a movie because of a particular actress within it. But I would think it's a little early in her career to become so jaded that she doesn't care about her performance in big hollywood movies, and it wasn't a role that would have restrained her ability if she chose to use it.

Jennifer Lawrence, on the other hand, really impressed me with her performance in American Hustle. I found it to be a wonderful job, demonstrating a lot of versatility in her part that was limited by her role in the Hunger Games, and I do wish she got more credit for that. It was a performance that drew you in and instigated numerous kinds of reactions, and it was stellar work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    She had, what, two lines in Snow White? I've got a bias against her because I had to see Twilight, but I can see the point of people who say that she hasn't exactly been in movies that would do anyone any favors. Hell, just look at all the great actors that were in the Star Wars prequels...and the shit they had to work with.
    She was the main actress... she had a ton of lines.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2015-10-13 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KurenaiXIII View Post
    What's most troubling to me about this thread is the immediate move to attack her looks/bring up the nude photos/call her a 'mouth breather'. Instant denigration. That's... that's just sad.
    While it is troubling, it is just human nature. And anyone who makes that much money, then complaining about how much they make; is just infuriating.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually think she's a good actress, just people discredit her because of her role in the Twilight movies.
    I didnt like her in that huntsman thing, then again I think all the gritty disney remakes are stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Jennifer Lawrence and for that matter Sienna Miller, earn less money as actors, because they are less talented.

Its not rocket science
    Are you fucking mental? Do you really believe that? Let's look at male actors who won an oscar at 22, oh that's right, there aren't any. Lawrence is fucking awesome, I have no idea about that Miller girl.

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    Are you fucking mental? Do you really believe that? Let's look at male actors who won an oscar at 22, oh that's right, there aren't any. Lawrence is fucking awesome, I have no idea about that Miller girl.
    If anything, that points out that Oscar being based on popularity and not skill. But, then again, that's what awards have devolved into.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
    While it is troubling, it is just human nature. And anyone who makes that much money, then complaining about how much they make; is just infuriating.
    It's pretty clear that she wasn't complaining about *how much she made*. She clearly knows that she's made far more money than she needed to. She was speaking about the process of negotiation of those salaries and whether there is societal conditioning that led her to accept less than she possibly could have gotten, and whether it's something systemic or endemic to the salaries of women in general.

And I don't think the reaction that Puupi and others have had is particularly 'human nature'.

Kousoku of The Blueberry Brigade @ Uther | Mafia Record: T: 3/6 M: 4/5 SK: 0/1

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    If anything, that points out that Oscar being based on popularity and not skill. But, then again, that's what awards have devolved into.
    I Have to agree on that.

Deleted
    Oh, yeah, she was awesome in American Hustle, as were all the actors/actresses. That was a great movie.
    I wouldn't put her on par with Christian Bale. She called him fatman after stating that no one should call women fat. Ever.

This is what we call a double standard.

There are great actors, then there are popular actors.

It's a matter of supply and demand. If someone has a skill that is in high demand but low supply, they are worth more, because you need them more.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Jennifer Lawrence and for that matter Sienna Miller, earn less money as actors, because they are less talented.

Its not rocket science
    Yeah, and jennifer lawrence is a fairly new actor. I watch a lot of movies, and know her from about 6-7 movies. Yet no doubt shes comparing herself to Johnny Depp and Tom Cruise, actors that have been in dozens of movies.

This is the problem with this dumb ass feminism wage gap bullshit. (to take an extreme example) Lets say you're growing some apples in your back garden. You plant the tree and do nothing else. It grows and some wild animals and bugs have their take out of your harvest. You harvest maybe 20 apples, and they're fairly bad quality. Why? because you're new to it. You didn't use anything to protect them from bugs, you probably planted it at the wrong time of year, in a bad country to grow apples in. Now take your harvest of 20 apples, and compare it to a massive farm somewhere in a different country where people use refined techniques, learned over the last century to produce as much as possible, lose as little as possible in their harvest and are able to grow any time of year.

This is what feminists do, when they compare the pay of their job as a night re-stocker in Tesco, to someone working as a full time welder. It is stupidity to the very core. There is no way to be a feminist and also be critically thinking or logically thinking. The 3 are incompatible.

As a side note, Jennifer Lawrence is popular among people, but shes not talented or known as an actor. Shes known as someone who seemingly didn't lose their mind when they went to Hollywood, a position I think is fairly stupid, considering shes been there maybe 7 years max. She also has lost her fucking head. Shes now a feminist. She went into Hollywood as a normal human being and was spat out as someone saying shit like "no one should call anyone fat ever" as if its akin to Mudblood in Harry Potter's world. Not only that, but shes a massive fucking hypocrite. How can you be a feminist, yet send nudes to people? Objectifying your body much? So its bad if a man compliments you on your appearance, but its okay for you to take full body nudes and send them to people?

Lets not forget the fact that we're talking about

"In August 2015, Forbes recognized her as the highest-paid actress of 2015, with earnings of $52 million"

These feminists are never happy. They have to accumulate more, and more and more and more and more. They will not be happy until they are billionaires and men work for free.

I'm so sorry Jennifer Lawrence, that you got paid a measly $52 million in one year. I hope you're able to pay rent this week, on your Beverly Hills condo. I hope you're able to afford your slimming surgery you no doubt will hypocritically have. I hope you're able to put food on the table, straight from Walmart. You'll probably have to go in at closing time and get the sale stuff. You poor thing.

Lets make an MMO C tip jar to help feed and clothe Jennifer Lawrence, the highest paid actor in 2015, who thinks she makes less than Male Actors. I'm sure we can scrounge up a few $100 between us.
    Last edited by Sliske; 2015-10-13 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KurenaiXIII View Post
    What's most troubling to me about this thread is the immediate move to attack her looks/bring up the nude photos/call her a 'mouth breather'. Instant denigration. That's... that's just sad.
    I wish people would stop pretending that women are the only ones judged on superficial nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    She was the main actress... she had a ton of lines.
    Well, it just goes to show how memorable I thought the movie was. The highlight for me was that Florence and the Machine song at the end.

I wish people would stop pretending that women are the only ones judged on superficial nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it just goes to show how memorable I thought the movie was.
    Who said they were? In this specific case, the immediate reaction of some posters was to denigrate her, on a variety of things. There weren't any comparisons to anyone else, male *or* female. Just snide comments about how she should have 'monetized' certain pictures. As if she were desperate for money--she clearly isn't and anyone who thought that she was clearly didn't read the article or even the summary.

Kousoku of The Blueberry Brigade @ Uther | Mafia Record: T: 3/6 M: 4/5 SK: 0/1

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Skipped that movie due to horrible reviews. 54% on rotten tomatoes.
    yes trust others on something you might like after watching it..

how stupid is this world

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it just goes to show how memorable I thought the movie was. The highlight for me was that Florence and the Machine song at the end.
    It was a bland movie, with a shitty romance arc, that was basically an excuse for the director (Rupert Sanders), could stare at the woman he wanted to bone. (Caught cheating with Stewart. Now divorced.)

That's why the camera focused on her face despite crazy shit happening around her.

Reading the whole context of the quote made by her, it sounds like she was making a joke because Bale has also stared as Batman (Batman - Fatman). I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously and I also don't think her comment about not calling women fat meant that jokes were off limit as well - especially considering that actors/actresses are well known to gain/lose weight for roles.

It's my belief that she was referring to the media commenting about females actresses gaming weight (in a non-joking way) and posting photos of them to ridicule their body.
    I hate to tell you this, but tabloid photographers lie in wait for male actors to start growing a pot belly, as well. No one in the public eye is safe from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    I hate to tell you this, but tabloid photographers lie in wait for male actors to start growing a pot belly, as well. No one in the public eye is safe from that.
    Not to mention muscle gain / loss. Women just care more about it. Its not men buying magazines and tabloid newspapers to see how X celebrities body is coping with pregnancy. Its women. Won't stop them from calling it sexism and blaming men, though. Feminism in a nutshell.

Do something retarded / think a stupid thought > Ignore all immediate or long term fixes to the problem > Blame Patriarchy > Receive donations from other idiot feminists for speaking out.

my wife was telling me that it's a common issue that women do not demand higher pay and are more likely to settle for the lower wage.

my wife entered her current job with the same amount of experience as her friend who just interviewed for the other position in her department. my wife demanded higher pay than they offered, but her friend didn't. if her friend takes the job she will make 50% less than my wife for the same job. her friend knew what she made before going in for the interview as well.

my 2 cents

Yes, I'm well aware of that, but I was directly referring to the comment made by Lawrence about females only.
    Why did she mention only females in her comment if everyone gets 50 pictures of them gaining ten pounds or getting a zit?

especially considering that actors/actresses are well known to gain/lose weight for roles.
    I typed in 'jennifer lawrence fat jokes' to google and the first link spoke of how Jennifer Lawrence refused to lose weight for roles. She wants to sit exactly in the position she currently is, condemn everyone different to her then act like shes the tolerable. Its feminism fucking 101. Seriously