Have you ever experimented on yourself?

Have you ever experimented with yourself as the subject of the experiment? Your friends want you to try drugs maybe or you heard of a strange diet.

Everyone tells me the way to cook pinto beans is to soak the beans in water overnight. This is what I've heard my whole life.

Then you pour out the water the beans soaked in and add fresh water and boil them for a couple of hours until they are tender. This is so the beans will cook evenly and to leach out the complex sugars which cause farts.

Listening to a podcast, the speaker said this was nonsense, that you don't need to soak your beans overnight, just start cooking them. At worst it might take an extra half hour.

So I've cooked up a pound of pinto beans without pre-soaking. Not sure if I'm going to blow up like a balloon or not but here goes--

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    I read a mmo themed comic once.
    Bad trip.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    I read a mmo themed comic once.
    Bad trip.
    This sounds like a terrible experience.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Why you guys attacking me? lol

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

What the fuck did I just read?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Everyone has experimented on themselves. That's what we call trying new things...
    You know, I was thinking this when reading OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It could be an entirely different one, why so defensive?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I think it might have to do with how your question is worded. Literally any answer goes, like "Today I experimented on 3 minutes earlier breakfast schedule, to see how it affects me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Once went 2 weeks without food, just water... never again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I performed "surgery" on my left hand

its not like you put a bull's eye on your head or anything...

Deleted
    Have you ever experimented with yourself as the subject of the experiment? Your friends want you to try drugs maybe or you heard of a strange diet.

Everyone tells me the way to cook pinto beans is to soak the beans in water overnight. This is what I've heard my whole life.

Then you pour out the water the beans soaked in and add fresh water and boil them for a couple of hours until they are tender. This is so the beans will cook evenly and to leach out the complex sugars which cause farts.

Listening to a podcast, the speaker said this was nonsense, that you don't need to soak your beans overnight, just start cooking them. At worst it might take an extra half hour.

So I've cooked up a pound of pinto beans without pre-soaking. Not sure if I'm going to blow up like a balloon or not but here goes--
    The reason why beans are usually soaked is because THEY ARE TOXIC, and soaking them in water overnight and then discarding that water and rinsing in fresh water will get rid of many of the toxins. It's not toxic to the extent of being lethal, but you are risking a session of diarrhea and vomit - which can eventually turn out to be a severe one, depending on how much you eat and what kind of beans you're eating.

Go ahead and do the same for kidney beans if you're feeling adventurous!

Quote Originally Posted by treclol View Post
    The reason why beans are usually soaked is because THEY ARE TOXIC, and soaking them in water overnight and then discarding that water and rinsing in fresh water will get rid of many of the toxins. It's not toxic to the extent of being lethal, but you are risking a session of diarrhea and vomit - which can eventually turn out to be a severe one, depending on how much you eat and what kind of beans you're eating.

Go ahead and do the same for kidney beans if you're feeling adventurous!

Here's the article I read

la-dd-dont-soak-dried-beans-20140911-story

Is it just some beans that are poisonous?

-- Capt. Copeland

Beans and other legumes are among the most nutritionally valuable vegetable foods. The seeds of beans are high in protein, complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber and many minerals, while low in fat and cholesterol. But they also contain a protein that can be toxic in sufficiently high concentrations if the beans are eaten raw. Kidney beans in particular contain enough of this toxin to cause acute symptoms, even if only a few raw beans are consumed.
    This reaction to kidney beans is not very common because the beans are not often eaten raw. They are usually dried and require several hours of cooking before they are soft enough to eat. PHA in beans is deactivated and reduced to safe levels by as little as ten minutes of boiling. Other means of heating are less effective and may actually increase the level of PHA, as will heating below the boiling point. For this reason, such foods as chili should not be made with kidney beans in a slow cooker at the low setting without first boiling the beans.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2385/

Just don't eat more than 39 beans, please. You'll be fine.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Here's the article I read

la-dd-dont-soak-dried-beans-20140911-story

Is it just some beans that are poisonous?
    There are many different kinds of beans with the toxin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytohaemagglutinin

Your safest bet is to read up on the specific variety that you are cooking. Googling something like "<my bean variety here> PHA toxin" will help. Or, you know... soaking them in water overnight and boiling them properly might even be safer than that.

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean.. I've tried a lot of different stuff, yeah Weird foods, drinks, drugs, experiences..

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried drinking apple cider vinegar once because "apparently" it was supposed to help my sore throat. Pretty sure it did nothing except make me feel like I drank fire and elephant turd at the same time.

Nope, I don't go out of my way to inflict self torture. Heh' ..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I tried drinking apple cider vinegar once because "apparently" it was supposed to help my sore throat. Pretty sure it did nothing except make me feel like I drank fire and elephant turd at the same time.
    Yeah, that's not a good idea. Apple vinegar can be very healthy and helpful, but not when you straight up drink it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Mage View Post
    Nope, I don't go out of my way to inflict self torture. Heh' ..

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that's not a good idea. Apple vinegar can be very healthy and helpful, but not when you straight up drink it.
    Yea I figured that one out pretty quick. I've learned to ask my mom where she learns all the stuff she "knows." If she says "I found it on the internet" that means it came from from BS viral facebook article and I just ignore that part.
    Last edited by Forgettable; 2015-10-13 at 09:58 PM.