Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    So I remember haptic feedback being a big deal with this thing. Anyone have any words on that?
    It works, but my god can it be annoying sometimes, I turn it off on every single possible button and pad.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    So I remember haptic feedback being a big deal with this thing. Anyone have any words on that?
    Yes, both touch pads have haptic feedback. I find it to be very subtle. (Apparently Remilia does not )

So far, this works great for 4X games, like Civ and GalCiv. I can set the buttons for specific menus, and also use bumper + button to bring up some other options. Left track pad press for unit commands, like pass, defend, rest, etc. I'm still trying to find a good balance of speed/precision/acceleration for the right pad, which mimics the mouse.

I wish there was a way to set the pads to work like they do for the keyboard interface (maybe I haven't found it), where default is center screen and where you touch on the pad corresponds to that location on the screen, as I think that would work well for ARPGs like Diablo, Grim Dawn and Path of Exile.

I have found that using this for RTS games, or MOBAs, is a bit of a pain due to the back and forth of the mouse buttons (too much muscle memory to break). Also, the speed/precision required for these games may be outside of the scope of this controller. Granted, I'm still getting used to it, and there are a lot of options to tweak, so I may come back to these after I have more experience with both.

Plays well with a number of old DOS/early Windows games. I played Jagged Alliance 2, XCOM: Terror of the Deep, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate, Anvil of Dawn, HOMM3, Syberia, Longest Journey, and a few Sierra games that use the mouse interface (QFG1VGA, QFG3, SQ1VGA). Most of these work very well, like the point and click adventure games. JA2 and XCOM are playable "out of the box" since you can just click on everything, but taking the time to do some key mapping will enhance the experience (setting stances, raising//lowering the camera, cycling between characters, etc). Unfortunately, the Steam Overlay does not work with these older DOS games, so you'll need to configure the controls before launching the game, and you'll need to exit the game to make adjustments.

I still want to try a few other games like Little Big Adventure, Ultima VII, as well as Wizardry 6-8.

For some newer games, I played some Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile Tropico 5, Cities Skyline and Banished. It works well for the RPGs and city builders, not so much for the ARPGs. Like I mentioned in my last post, if they allowed the same pad controls as when typing in Steam Chat, I think ARPGs could become more playable, but still would not be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBurkes View Post
    Yea, I'm not sold on the Steam controller. It seems to be in an awkward spot between a controller and a mouse.
    I think that's the goal of the Steam Controller. For those wanting to play on the couch and have more compatibility to PC games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It looks humongous and not sure why it's useful if I have an xbox controller already. What's the big deal really? I don't quite get it to be honest.

If I am playing a game with controller support, I have the xbox controller.

If the game I am playing doesn't support controller, I have my KBM.

Of which, I prefer the KBM in most of the game types I play (puzzle, strategy, RPGs, etc). Playing Civ 5 with a controller doesn't really seem like much of a boon to me when my KBM is literally 3 inches from me.

I would not buy it. Use it, sure. Don't mind trying it out (I am not sure how), but nah. I got the xbox controller, the one that looks like a PS2 controller from logitech, the 'powerglove'-like controller and this.... http://www.nes30.com/

The last one being my favorite controller of all time (next to the Saturn one, natch)!
    The only use I see it for is to play point and click, horror and casual shooters from my bed/couch...and yes, those play vastly superior to other controllers with the steam controller.

I bought it for those, and I'm happy with it so far as I also got the Steam Link to go with it...

That said, I suggest you look how it looks again as it looks like a generic controller (slightly hi tech look).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It works, but my god can it be annoying sometimes, I turn it off on every single possible button and pad.
    Doesn't bother me at all.

Btw for those having issues with the mouse pad, try the following:

- Turn trackball mode off
    - Advanced: Put mouse accel on medium or high
    - Advanced: On the right, turn the second bar on the same level as the top bar (on default it should be 70%)
    - Make sure the right touchpad is turned on mouse and not on joystick or whatever, if you do not do this games will give feedback as it would a xbox360 controller thumbstick. Often the default is joystick instead of mouse, what's the point in buying new tech if you are going to use it as old tech.

- I put haptic feedback to high or medium myself as it seems to mimic the mouse feel more.

It literally feels like you are controlling the game with a mouse using this configuration, try it and let me know what you think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    So you got the controller and the link to the TV. Does that mean you can join into any online steam game? What about chatting? Still need a keyboard i guess.
    Yes you can, I played Borderlands 2 on my ground level tv while my pc is 3 stories up. Here and there a small, lag spike but overall it was really smooth.

The steam link should only be used for casual gameplay, depending on demanding the game is the lag spikes will be more frequent. I wouldn't advice you to play the latest shooter on it unless you have a beast pc and really good internet connection.
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2015-10-20 at 07:43 PM.

It feels like a letdown that it requires AA if I wanted to use it wirelessly (can't remember the last time I had to buy batteries). How's the battery life on the controller?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    It feels like a letdown that it requires AA if I wanted to use it wirelessly (can't remember the last time I had to buy batteries). How's the battery life on the controller?
    It's decent I guess? I haven't ran out but I don't really measure how long I play games or how long it's been on.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Oh, does that mean I could only play my Steam games that support Linux?

- - - Updated - - -

The NES30 controller works on PC, Mac, iOS and Android.

NES30 can be used via Bluetooth or connect via a USB cable.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course. Do you take me for some heathen?
    Thanks for the reply. I might order one then

and yes, Turbrotef, I was also talking about the Japanese Saturn controller.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Kinda early to ask this within 5 days of a new product. :P

Nah, I'm going to stick with an Xbox controller.

10+ Year Old Account
    So battery life lasts about as long as a wireless Xb360 controller, so take that as what you will.

- - - Updated - - -

And after using it a bit longer, I have to reiterate that other than FPS and non controller supported games it doesn't function that well. I wouldn't recommend this outside of those games. Action games is a no go, so for Dark Souls if you're into that is a bad idea. Racing games is whatever, you're not going to gain any differences from just buying a new controller. Platformers, again no difference.
    You can't hybrid mode some games due to it switching schemes between controller and kb/m when it detects a controller or kb/m inputs.
    Good thing the new update added the overlapping for the left stick for say, WASD, so you're not stuck at 4 directions as opposed to being able to have 8, aka up right, up left, etc.

Software wise.
    Same personal gripe, reliance on Steam Big Picture. Some people may like it some may not. I'd like to be able to modify the control scheme outside the big picture.
    Some better customization like in Xpadder especially with the sticks. I'd very much love to be able to modify the diagonal axis's zone. These aren't a huge deal as they're more for 'power users'.

Hardware.
    Honestly compared to the PS4 touch pad, the touchpads on this aren't as smooth to use. It's weird, the one designed with this in mind doesn't really feel and work as well as the one with this not in mind.
    The R1/L1/RB/LB whatever you want to call it, takes a fair bit more force to use than the PS4 and Xb360 equivalent, same with the left stick button. Makes it somewhat unfavorable to use for me especially since I tend to use those for shoot buttons as opposed to the other one.
    Personal preference, remove that huge hump on the handle. It's weird.

It's not a terrible controller, but it's not great.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-11-01 at 08:04 PM.

Still debating between this or an xbox 360 controller for RPGs and such like FF13 but there hasn't been any talk about steam controller and RPGs
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.