HPS discipline priest

Hello everyone!

I represent a semi-hardcore russian guild. I am eager to understand, what's wrong with a couple of my players.

Thank you very much for such an attentive and friendly community, I use to get much info from this forum. Hope, you will help me to understand the problems with my Discipline Priest Ноточан.

This is his armory: eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/booty-bay/%D0%9D%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%BE%D1%87%D0%B0%D0%BD/simple

Here are the logs: warcraftlogs.com/reports/GZnX2YcryawL4mvt#fight=9 (Hellfire Assault mythic). warcraftlogs.com/reports/yraHVX641fGmhWtz (Vehlari), warcraftlogs.com/reports/my7WdGA4kHqhca6X (Archimonde), warcraftlogs.com/reports/y4HaXwDz1bY2TJnM#fight=6 (Reaver), And these are Iskar warcraftlogs.com/reports/a2YbzrJ8mNB1DAWj#fight=28 and Socrethar warcraftlogs.com/reports/yraHVX641fGmhWtz#fight=14

Thank you for you attention!

NOTE: I am a casual raider, so my views and thoughts may be different than a hardcore raider.

Looking at the logs, the healing/absorption is very lopsided. It looks to be the priest is nearly entirely casting Power Word: Shield and nothing more. Personally, I chose the Saving Grace talent and that has been very useful for me in my casual raiding style. It's usually my second-most effective heal. Being in LFR and some regular and couple heroic pieces, I keep up with the full-time raiders just fine.

Looking at the lack of damage, I'm also willing to bet that his uptime of archangel is low. Keeping that up throughout the fight is crucial to the output of our spec. Divine Aegis is somewhat strong and usually my third most effective heal with Saving Grace crits and the fact that I almost always use Prayer of Healing after I pop archangel or whenever we stack up. The guaranteed crits after popping AA make DA useful, somewhat.

I'd also suggest Twist of Fate or even Spirit Shell, depending on the fight, over Power Infusion. I run ToF almost exclusively as it's handy for criticial situations and timed with trinket procs and PW:S spamming, it keeps us potent.
    Disc/Shadow Priest

from the perspective of a more hardcore raider, ill analyze the hellfire assault

some glaring mistakes:

a.talent choices

1. never use twisted fate as disc priest..power infusion all day to blanket raid w/ shields prior to heavy hitting mechanics
    2. halo is superior to cascade in any instance right now
    3. you can interchange clarity of will and words of mending according to what the raid is lacking/needing

b.mechanics

1. archangel up time is nonexistent ...needs to try and generate 5x of that at all times..and use archangel on cd (or delay for a couple of seconds if need be)...50+% is a good start
    2. assuming he/she does that..the next step once you have empowered archangel is to make sure you cast a PoH or FH at some point while you have the buff..guaranteed crit
    3. needs to spam more shields..borrowed time % is too low
    4. reparation needs more up time as well..by using penance more
    5. more solace usage..or just go mindbender if monitoring solace is an issue

c. play-style

1. needs to do a much better job of preparing for large spikes of dmg...i.e.....Power infusion then blanket raid..or just blanketing what he can prior to spikes...one of our distinct roles is to anticipate large spikes of dmg and prevent them

i could go on..but the aforementioned will go a long way in improving his play
    Last edited by ZiggyZ; 2015-10-14 at 04:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceso Jenkins View Post
    Personally, I chose the Saving Grace talent and that has been very useful for me in my casual raiding style. It's usually my second-most effective heal. Being in LFR and some regular and couple heroic pieces, I keep up with the full-time raiders just fine.
    No. Besides for its few niche uses (soaking doomfire on Arch or healing essences on gorefiend), SG is beyond bad for PvE compared to CoW or WoM. Even in those two niche roles, it is better to just use CoW or WoM just due to the significant amount of gear everyone has now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceso Jenkins View Post
    I'd also suggest Twist of Fate or even Spirit Shell, depending on the fight, over Power Infusion. I run ToF almost exclusively as it's handy for criticial situations and timed with trinket procs and PW:S spamming, it keeps us potent.
    Please no again. SS is a mana intensive, weaker (most likely since most people can't use it right) version of PI+Shield spam. ToF does not proc off shields, and the buff does not buff shields, so it is by and large useless for disc in raids.

Yes you could get away with using ToF, SS, and SG if you're pushing casual content. Of course play however you want to, but OP specifically is asking about low hps and taking these talents is just going to result in even lower hps.

For OP, a few things I noticed about your disc priest:

1) Low AA Uptime. His is usually ~5-30%. Ideally it should be around 50% or higher. Consistent 50% uptime on AA will go miles in improving his HPS. Many fights he will only cast it once. It has a 30 second CD and should be used more or less on CD.

2) Low CPM. His is usually ~37ish casts per minute. I usually get around 55-57CPM. He is just not casting enough.

3) He seems to be taking Clarity of Will (COW) for a lot of fights. Especially since you guys are running two holy pallies, this is not needed. It will generally be an hps loss.

4) Inconsistent evangelism usage. Sometimes he builds 5 stacks of evangelism, sometimes 1. Its really all over the place. Especially since he has low AA uptime, he should have much better control over his evangelism. Ideally he should be at 4-5 stacks every time he uses AA.

5) Tied to number 1 and 4, low solace usage. He's averaging around a 50% uptime on solace, when it should be closer to 70+%. Having better solace usage will help with better evangelism stacking and consequently better AA.

6) He should be using Halo and not cascade

7) He should not be using the class trinket. The damage reduction is not worth the stat loss from other trinkets (especially if he has a demonic phylactery at his disposal)

8) Inconsistent Power Infusion usage. Sometimes he uses it a decent amount per fight, other times he barely uses it (some fights he never used it once)

9) Not casting Penance enough. Whether it be offensively or defensively. Especially since our tier is directly tied with penance, he should be using it more.

10) Borrowed time uptime is low. His is around 80% and it should be 95%+. Most likely due to the fact that he's not casting enough.
    Last edited by Pearl1717; 2015-10-14 at 06:12 PM.
    Arthas Logs] | Azgalor Logs | Twitch | Pearl91#1607
    "I am a chemical engineer. To save time, lets just assume that I am never wrong."

Pearl, thanks for correcting some information where I was wrong! I didn't mean to misinform - just was speaking of what works well for me, as you mentioned. I am a once-was hardcore raider, but my profession makes raid times difficult to make.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Aceso Jenkins; 2015-10-15 at 01:49 AM.
    Disc/Shadow Priest

Thank you all for your attention and critics! Hope, it influenced Notochan (Ноточан).
    Here are the logs, which were written yesterday.

warcraftlogs.com/reports/Q9xFMvZHNtaDf7Vb#view=rankings - Mannoroth
    warcraftlogs.com/reports/Q9xFMvZHNtaDf7Vb#fight=29&view=rankings - Vehlari

Quote Originally Posted by Zaaradeath View Post
    Thank you all for your attention and critics! Hope, it influenced Notochan (Ноточан).
    Here are the logs, which were written yesterday.

warcraftlogs.com/reports/Q9xFMvZHNtaDf7Vb#view=rankings - Mannoroth
    warcraftlogs.com/reports/Q9xFMvZHNtaDf7Vb#fight=29&view=rankings - Vehlari
    His problems mainly stem from CPM(Casts Per Minute).

Many top disc priests hover very close to 60 CPM, but he's hovering at low 40s.

To put it in perspective, he's essentially not doing anything useful for ~20 seconds every minute. Also, his AA uptime is still very low. This should be 50% and above, and he's usually sitting at the low 30's.

His spell priority is more or less there, he just needs to make sure he's actively casting more in general.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    His problems mainly stem from CPM(Casts Per Minute).

Many top disc priests hover very close to 60 CPM, but he's hovering at low 40s.

To put it in perspective, he's essentially not doing anything useful for ~20 seconds every minute. Also, his AA uptime is still very low. This should be 50% and above, and he's usually sitting at the low 30's.

His spell priority is more or less there, he just needs to make sure he's actively casting more in general.
    thank you for such a quick response!!