10+ Year Old Account

Apple Loses Patent Case to University of Wisconsin, Faces $862M Damages

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-new...3941?cid=sm_fb

Apple Inc. could be facing up to $862 million in damages after a U.S. jury on Tuesday found the company used technology owned by the University of Wisconsin-Madison's licensing arm without permission in chips found in many of its iPhones and iPads.

The jury in Madison, Wisconsin, also said the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF) patent, which improves processor efficiency, was valid. The trial will now move on to determine how much Apple owes in damages.

Apple declined to comment on the verdict. In an emailed statement, WARF told NBC News it does not comment on ongoing litigation.

WARF sued Apple in January 2014 alleging infringement of its 1998 patent for improving chip efficiency. The jury was considering whether Apple's A7, A8 and A8X processors, found in the iPhone 5s, 6 and 6 Plus, as well as several versions of the iPad, violate the patent.

Cupertino, California-based Apple denied any infringement and argued the patent is invalid, according to court papers. Apple previously tried to convince the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to review the patent's validity, but in April the agency rejected the bid.

According to a recent ruling by U.S. District Judge William Conley, who is presiding over the case, Apple could be liable for up to $862.4 million in damages. He scheduled the trial to proceed in three phases: liability, damages, and finally, whether Apple infringed the patent willfully, which could lead to enhanced penalties.

WARF used the patent to sue Intel Corp. in 2008, but the case was settled the following year on the eve of trial. Last month, WARF launched a second lawsuit against Apple, this time targeting the company's newest chips, the A9 and A9X, used in the just-released iPhone 6S and 6S Plus, as well as the iPad Pro.

The case is Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation v. Apple Inc in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin, No. 14-cv-62

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright... and?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

WARF just smacked Apple with a bat'leth for 862 million damage. Nerf incoming
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Well considering Scott Walker has gutted higher ed in Wisconsin this is money well needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    So free tuition for everyone attending that university, right?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    That would be nice

Could call it the *we beat apple* scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Hah, as if Apple is gonna actually end up paying any significant amount. This is the US, you fools!
    Unfortunately....this

10+ Year Old Account
    Good, screw Apple and their crappy products.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Hahahaah, oh man. You are a funny one. You got jokes, sir. You got jokes.
    Yea more like 50% goes to the government in taxes, 30% goes to the lawyers, 10% goes to the University high-ups as bonuses, and the other 10% goes into some "foundation" that funnels it to sleazebag union contractors who do "improvements" to the campus.

I'm still waiting for the lawsuit that forces Apple to give new devices to people for malicious deceiving them into downloading updates that intentionally slow their devices and destroy battery lifespan, leading them to believe its time to buy a new one.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Good, take apple down a peg or two.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Nah, if they ever get any money at all they will spend it on a new handegg team or something.

Deleted
    Patents, making innovation impossible since 1960.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apple claims everyone copies them while stealing all their ideas from everyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont see how this is even valid. The case is about processor patents, yet Apple doesnt make their own processors. They get them from other companies

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont see how this is even valid. The case is about processor patents, yet Apple doesnt make their own processors. They get them from other companies
    Apple owns the designs, despite having Samsung and TSMC do the work.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an interesting case. I'll be keeping track of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Apple designs the processors, other companies make them based upon their specifications. That is how Apple is liable. Intel had to cave to a similar lawsuit as well.

http://www.informationweek.com/mobil...a/d-id/1319766
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
    That is a level of victim blaming even morons in the US can't reach...
    MMO-C moderation, just a peg above Fox News

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    It's an interesting case. I'll be keeping track of it.
    I don't know, kind of dull case to me. I'm more interested in how the Samsung version of the A9 is performing so much worse then the TSMC one. Expecting a class action suite from that (my iPhone has the "good" processor).

-Kujako-

Oh look, two huge corporate entities trading obscene amounts of money over the ridiculous US patent system. This is new...