Bored engineer creates a working Thor's hammer

So yeah this was pretty damn cool

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha. So awesome.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Pretty cool. Think it would have been better if he didn't tell people it was just a magnet. Totally ruins the mystery of it.
    Grammar is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse & helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Ahha the dude at the end with the workaround.

GG NO RE
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Nice attempt, but if it only works on magnetic surfaces it's not quite the real thing.

When I read something like "someone made a real Thor's hammer" I would at least expect lightning, and returning back to sender.. sticking it to metal surfaces ranges very low on that list..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    When I read something like "someone made a real Thor's hammer" I would at least expect lightning, and returning back to sender.. sticking it to metal surfaces ranges very low on that list..
    I thought, "How did he get the heart of a dying star?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Bucket View Post
    I thought, "How did he get the heart of a dying star?"
    I don't care about the origin story in these cases, if someone were to manage to build a perfect working replica it might as well be made out of dirt and snot for all I care .

A more technical critique I have here is that the first time he pulled it up I immediately noticed the delay and the awkward placing of his thumb. Should made it faster or a swipe sensor to better mask it :P.

I don't care about the origin story in these cases, if someone were to manage to build a perfect working replica it might as well be made out of dirt and snot for all I care .

A more technical critique I have here is that the first time he pulled it up I immediately noticed the delay and the awkward placing of his thumb. Should made it faster or a swipe sensor to better mask it :P.
    I think you're missing the point. This wasn't supposed to be a perfect replica (I'm not sure that's possible no matter how much time/money you have), or intended to truly "trick" someone, it's just a fun replica he made in his spare time to play around with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bormes View Post
    I think you're missing the point. This wasn't supposed to be a perfect replica (I'm not sure that's possible no matter how much time/money you have), it's just a fun replica someone made in his spare time, and he did a pretty good job at that.
    Sorry, as a fellow engineer, I get triggered by click bait tech articles :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    So... just a variation on the old "light heavy chest" magic routine.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

7+ Year Old Account

Ok, but you'd need a material as dense as a black hole in order for it to work like it does. So far, we've only found material that dense in one place. I would award partial credit for a hammer that shoots lightning, though.

Sorry, as a fellow engineer, I get triggered by click bait tech articles :P.
    In the title of the vid: "(Electromagnet, Fingerprint Scanner)". I don't think anyone actually expected people to believe this was "real". And to be fair, this is probably the closest to a real Thor's hammer than has ever been actually engineered. I'm an engineer too, and I found this fantastically clever, and I imagine he has quite a bit of fun with it too, despite the shortcomings of it not being a real Thor's hammer as you felt the need to point out.
    Last edited by BananaHandsB; 2015-10-14 at 07:41 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Its actually really lame

10+ Year Old Account
    This guy should sell these and make a small fortune :P