Challenge Modes Idea Inspired By Greater Rifts

Just had a bit of a crazy idea for challenge modes, what if we treated them like greater rift levels where you had to see with how low of an item level can you finish the challenge mode inside a gold timer. Just as an extra layer of difficulty I suppose, I guess it isn't needed since theres already a time based leaderboard but it could be fun to try and push beating a challenge mode with say 600 ilvl. Any critiques or thoughts on this idea? Just imagine it as you can select it as an option when you zone in what item level to be scaled to before you start the run, but the mobs don't actually scale just your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by enak101 View Post
    Just had a bit of a crazy idea for challenge modes, what if we treated them like greater rift levels where you had to see with how low of an item level can you finish the challenge mode inside a gold timer. Just as an extra layer of difficulty I suppose, I guess it isn't needed since theres already a time based leaderboard but it could be fun to try and push beating a challenge mode with say 600 ilvl. Any critiques or thoughts on this idea? Just imagine it as you can select it as an option when you zone in what item level to be scaled to before you start the run, but the mobs don't actually scale just your gear.
    It could work but it would not really be very accessible, would not be very popular. In Diablo it's quite a bit different given how all the top players focus primarily on farming XP which is giving them massive advantages over average players, they aren't playing on an even playing field.. On top of that GRifts are heavily based on RNG, with grinding/fishing for the right rift being a requirement.

Basically in Diablo it is more about grinding than it is skill, and Greater Rifts offer variety and an incremental increase in difficulty from very easy to very hard. In WoW you have a set difficulty which is already fairly difficult, and it's an even playing field.. Because it's quite difficult to begin with and it takes up a great deal of time then there is very little incentive for the general player, there is no form of progression involved.

For the top end enthusiastic challenge mode players there is a progression of course, but it appeals to a very small group of players, unless the rewards were incredible I can't see it working as it's very very different to Diablo.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Yeah definitely agree with your points there, maybe if they made base challenge modes easier to make THOSE more accessible, and then for the challenging parts with harder rewards have this type of system. Could work somehow but probably not worth the effort for a small audience. Also yeah I did neglect the fact that paragon levels ancient gear etc has a big impact on grifts, pretty big deal.

Bump cause kind of happened but they 1 upped it and did it in an accessible fashion to rejuvenate 5 man content. Kudos.

I think this approach appeals to a much larger audience especially if it truly is an alternative to raiding in regards to gear progression. They stated that it was uncapped, and if ilvl scales linearly, or even exponentially decaying, then technically there is a chance to gain higher ilvl gear from these dungeons for the hardcore. Then on the other hand, a more linear progression path for small groups.

Quote Originally Posted by enak101 View Post
    Bump cause kind of happened but they 1 upped it and did it in an accessible fashion to rejuvenate 5 man content. Kudos.
    Really nice call, It's a great idea as well. I know it's one more thing Blizz has done to bring me back to wow.

Deleted
    If you increase the reward based on speed it would encourage rushing which is something they said they want to avoid.