Aspergers and Long distance relationships

Greetings everyone on MMO-C. I pose the following question, for those who have Aspergers syndrome or know someone who does how does being in a long distance relationship or even a relationship for that matter effect them or you. coming from a bit of a personal experience I have Aspergers and have a tough time particular when it comes to women because I struggle horribly with the small social cues that NTs (neurotypicals) would typically be able to pick up and it is even harder when chatting over the internet via Facebook or other chatting services with out some sort of face to face connection.

When we argue and I get angry I usually go outside and cool off. This is fine for me but frustrating for her, she still wants to fight.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I assure you my man that maintaining a long distance relationship is work no matter who you are. You're reacting completely normally. I'm personally terrible at text communication because it robs it of tone, fluctuation, social cues, all of which of are a huge part of conversation.

Long distance relationships - all the headaches, few of the benefits.
    Like methamphetamines, not even once.

Quote Originally Posted by jon234 View Post
    Greetings everyone on MMO-C. I pose the following question, for those who have Aspergers syndrome or know someone who does how does being in a long distance relationship or even a relationship for that matter effect them or you. coming from a bit of a personal experience I have Aspergers and have a tough time particular when it comes to women because I struggle horribly with the small social cues that NTs (neurotypicals) would typically be able to pick up and it is even harder when chatting over the internet via Facebook or other chatting services with out some sort of face to face connection.
    Before we go any further, do you actually have the 'burgers, or are you a self diagnosed 'burger king?

Remember, being a googly-eyed weirdo doesn't automatically mean you have the 'burgers. Sometimes it just means you're a googly-eyed weirdo.

Honesty appreciated.
    Last edited by Silhouette of Seraphim; 2015-10-15 at 11:21 AM.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    Before we go any further, do you actually have the 'burgers, or are you a self diagnosed 'burger king?

Remember, being a googly-eyed weirdo doesn't automatically mean you have the 'burgers. Sometimes it just means you're a googly-eyed weirdo.

Honesty appreciated.
    I came to ask the same thing when I saw the thread title. Based on this
    coming from a bit of a personal experience I have Aspergers
    you are self-diagnosed, like most of the Internet.

If you truly have Asperger's, it seems to me that it would be easier for you to conduct an online relationship. No issue with social cues, it allows for pauses in conversations (assuming you are writing and not Skype or the like), and you can slowly learn about the other person.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    I came to ask the same thing when I saw the thread title. Based on this you are self-diagnosed, like most of the Internet.
    People seem to forget a simple truth: Everything is learned. Breathing, walking, running, swimming.
    Social queues are also learned, takes a while, and being inside your house every day without interacting with people face to face means you wont learn them. A lot of "aspergers" people arent aspergers at all, they are merely "socially uneducated due to lack of exposure"

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    People seem to forget a simple truth: Everything is learned. Breathing, walking, running, swimming.
    Social queues are also learned, takes a while, and being inside your house every day without interacting with people face to face means you wont learn them. A lot of "aspergers" people arent aspergers at all, they are merely "socially uneducated due to lack of exposure"
    I was diagnosed when I was in 5th grade. almost 13 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jon234 View Post
    I was diagnosed when I was in 5th grade. almost 13 years ago.
    Continuing what he was saying, not accusing you.
    A lot of misdiagnoses around though, its a fairly complicated thing.