Retribution questions. Thanks.

I'm an officer in my current guild. We raid with a paladin who I think we geared out pretty well. (He came in with bad gear, and is a friend of someone in the guild.) He has all this gear, but he still has very low numbers. To the point our Prot paladin is out DPSing him. Could someone look at our logs and verify what's going on?

We are No Filter on Illidan. Our paladin is named Imgametime.
    Logs: warcraftlogs.com/reports/Mtd2yRjhqBnpWzfT#type=damage-done&source=50
    Armory: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Imgametime/simple

I do appreciate your help. I just want to figure this out.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Strictbandit; 2015-10-15 at 05:05 AM.

Deleted
    Just a very quick glance, I'm not 100% into the details of the rotation of a retri paladin, but I know how to glance at important stuff:

He died. Before he died he wasn't even the lowest DPS, a frost DK with higher ilvl was being outdpsed by him (which really shouldn't happen). Add to that, he only used Divine Protection 4 times (with a 30 second CD), he didn't bubble when he was dying, and he didn't use FoL to save himself. These are all small things that can end up saving his life that he just doesn't do.
    He still had a charge of wings when he died. He used his last charge at around 4min09, so he had at the very least one charge left. You guys even popped hero and he just didn't use it.
    He only used Execution Sentence on pull, and at no other point.
    I don't know what he was doing between 3:00 and 4:30, but he only used FV once or twice during that timeframe, which is just a bit weird. Maybe he was just Divine Storming? If he was, that's a no-no, should always weave in FV's, even during AoE.
    He should use his second pot during the last phase, since this is where the DPS is most critical. More DPS in the other phases is okay, but it doesn't help you nearly as much as having the second pot during hero, cooldowns, and the last phase.

Managed to find a bit more details than I was expecting, hope it was a bit helpful

Promise you he's not going to get any better, since you're doing his homework for him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimon-ZJ View Post
    Promise you he's not going to get any better, since you're doing his homework for him.
    Very true, what I tend to do is just get them a parse of someone with about the same ilvl and fight duration and tell them to give me at least 3-5 points they can improve upon by next raid/week or something

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimon-ZJ View Post
    He never said he was doing his homework, he said he was an officer looking for help understanding why the raider is doing shitty. And now that said officer knows why said ret is bad he has a choice, the boot or helpful guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Merberan View Post
    Just a very quick glance, I'm not 100% into the details of the rotation of a retri paladin, but I know how to glance at important stuff:

He died. Before he died he wasn't even the lowest DPS, a frost DK with higher ilvl was being outdpsed by him (which really shouldn't happen). Add to that, he only used Divine Protection 4 times (with a 30 second CD), he didn't bubble when he was dying, and he didn't use FoL to save himself. These are all small things that can end up saving his life that he just doesn't do.
    He still had a charge of wings when he died. He used his last charge at around 4min09, so he had at the very least one charge left. You guys even popped hero and he just didn't use it.
    He only used Execution Sentence on pull, and at no other point.
    I don't know what he was doing between 3:00 and 4:30, but he only used FV once or twice during that timeframe, which is just a bit weird. Maybe he was just Divine Storming? If he was, that's a no-no, should always weave in FV's, even during AoE.
    He should use his second pot during the last phase, since this is where the DPS is most critical. More DPS in the other phases is okay, but it doesn't help you nearly as much as having the second pot during hero, cooldowns, and the last phase.

Managed to find a bit more details than I was expecting, hope it was a bit helpful
    So, it seems to be a survival issue + his FV weaving?
    I do really appreciate the help. I'll redirect him here as well in case he has questions. : )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strictbandit View Post
    I do really appreciate the help. I'll redirect him here as well in case he has questions. : )
    Well, he died when he still had alot of survivability options left so in my mind that's personal responsability. For the FV thing I assume it was in p2 with all the adds and he just spammed DS, but should still alternate FV and DS. And then, yeah, using Execution Sentence. It's near the top of the priority list for retri (don't know the exact spot) so it should be used nearly on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Strictbandit View Post
    It's more than that, he doesn't understand the basics of the rotation...needs to read the 1st page of the 6.x ret thread and/or Qris guide

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...amp-Discussion
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3657441833

Specifically a couple of things: Execution Sentence is our higher DPE (damage per execution spell) it needs to be cast every cd (1m), he's using judgment ahead of crusader strike, he's not doing HoW CS HoW FV (at 3hp) during wings etc.
    Last edited by RagnorZ; 2015-10-16 at 11:52 AM.