10+ Year Old Account

Physical Memory Extremely High!

Can anyone help me fix this? I have no idea why my Physical Memory shoots up to 95%+ when I have hardly anything running. I have 6GB RAM and normally, when running the same programs, my physical memory is 25-40%. But over time it skyrockets and I can't tell why!?

It causes my computer to run extremely slow. Please see screenshot! I can provide any more information needed.

http://prntscr.com/8rkatc
    Last edited by Alexxiis; 2015-10-15 at 01:27 PM. Reason: 6GB RAM not 6MB!

Deleted
    It's probably time to retire this 30-years old PC. You can't even run DOS on 6MB RAM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    It's probably time to retire this 30-years old PC. You can't even run DOS on 6MB RAM.
    Thanks, yeah. I meant 6GB RAM.

Deleted
    You should find which program is leaking memory. Try closing them one by one and see when it drops.
    My bet would be on the Norton AV.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just throwing it out there.

Svchost(noticed its usage on the SS) can fuck up real bad or rather one of the processes bundled into it.
    My mother's laptop got so messed up, I managed to find the culprit PID but not how to inactivate it.
    Spent like 4h then I just said to her 'Fuck it, win10 comes in 1,5 month and it will fix it (which it did).

'svchost high memory usage' - google that and weap.

-------

Also some questions. If you turn on your PC and do nothing apart from opening taskmgr, does any process keep ramping up its use?
    After that, test like opening your browser and do nothing and look for the same.
    Another thing is to boot it in safemode with/without internet and check the aboves.
    I presume you checked the usual manufacturer forums etc if its a laptop or a DELL\HP etc desktop.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2015-10-15 at 01:50 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    Actually DOS ran fine on 1MB RAM and less - even Windows 95 required only 4MB.

@OP - try running RAMMap https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../ff700229.aspx to see if anything unusual shows up there.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2015-10-15 at 02:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    Actually DOS ran fine on 1MB RAM and less - even Windows 95 required only 4MB.

@OP - try running RAMMap https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../ff700229.aspx to see if anything unusual shows up there.
    I ran it, but oddly enough it didn't tell me what was sucking up all the memory. I only had 1 Chrome Extension running, the Norton 360 AV extension. I deleted that extension and physical memory instantly dropped from 97% to 43%. Neither on Resource Manager or RAMMap did it show. I'm not certain how that could happen, but it seems to be working fine now.

I hate computers.

If your PC performance suddenly sucks and it is not a "constant" issue, it is commonly either:
    - some protection software, like anti virus, doing some checking or scanning.
    - some diagnostic or examination software, like the windows experience index.

It can also be malware or a bugged program, but the ones above are most common in my experience.

No matter how much they claim otherwise, Norton often seems to be the cause of really high CPU and RAM usage... 9 out of 10 PCs I've been to that have been running slow and have had Norton (or McAfee, just as bad) on them, that's been the cause of it all.
    I've found Avira to be a decent AV program at the moment. I'd also stop spybot from running all the time, just run it if you want to do a scan. Install an adblocker (I'd recommend uBlock Origin) for sites with a lot of intrusive and/or potentially dodgy ads, and that should stop a lot of the spyware reaching the PC in the first place, as most of it is loaded through ads.

10+ Year Old Account
    The latest flash update is also causing massive memory spikes on my machine. Sometimes I open a website and memory consumption will go up by 1GB+ for a few seconds then go back down again it's quite horrific.