T18 4 PC Dest/Aff - Worth It?

Hi All.

First off, thanks for taking the time to come in and read my post.

I'm writing because I can't decide if its worth it to replace my heroic gear with normal tier just to reach 4 piece. This is for both destro and aff in Heroic Hellfire Citadel.

For destro, I would be replacing heroic Ancient Gorestained Wrap (chest) and heroic Amice of Phantasmal Power (shoulders with socket bonus).

For affliction, I would be replacing heroic Mantle of the Eredar Lord (got from a garrison cache) and the same heroic Ancient Gorestained Wrap.

My concern is that I'll loose a ton of intellect replacing the pieces with 695 gear, and I'll be swapping out optimal stats for mediocre, or even sub-par ones.

My questions is: is the 4 piece for both aff and dest respectively, actually worth it? Does the item level variance make up for the 4 piece, and are the stats lost justified?

Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhtal View Post
    Yes

/10char
    Thanks - can you explain why?

Do you have any support to back that up?

More interested in the why rather then a flat yes/no.

Why would you not get them? They provide bonuses that off pieces don't provide, and its not like the tier doesn't drop from the same bosses as the off pieces. The maybe preferred stat arrangement on the off-pieces don't compete with a 1.5-sec cast on Cbolt, and possible free one at that, or a Haunt that lasts as long as you have DS up.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fashe View Post
    Why would you not get them? They provide bonuses that off pieces don't provide, and its not like the tier doesn't drop from the same bosses as the off pieces. The maybe preferred stat arrangement on the off-pieces don't compete with a 1.5-sec cast on Cbolt, and possible free one at that, or a Haunt that lasts as long as you have DS up.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want them.
    I understand that they provide bonus - but does that bonus justify the massive loss in stats that would occur by trading out my heroic off pieces?

As I mentioned above, I'd be going for the 4 piece, not the 2 piece. I already have the 2 piece with the helm and legs.

The 4 piece for destruction seems underwhelming and far to RNG to be worth the intellect and mastery/crit loss.

Not sure about the 4 piece for affliction. What is the % that drain soul actually has to extend? It's not 100%, and in fact I thought it was rather low - like 2% or around there. Does a 2% chance justify the stat loss?
    Last edited by Sargiean; 2015-10-15 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargiean View Post
    I understand that they provide bonus - but does that bonus justify the massive loss in stats that would occur by trading out my heroic off pieces?

As I mentioned above, I'd be going for the 4 piece, not the 2 piece. I already have the 2 piece with the helm and legs.

The 4 piece for destruction seems underwhelming and far to RNG to be worth the intellect and mastery/crit loss.

Not sure about the 4 piece for affliction. What is the % that drain soul actually has to extend? It's not 100%, and in fact I thought it was rather low - like 2% or around there. Does a 2% chance justify the stat loss?
    Its 10% for DS to extend the effects of dark soul. but its 100% to extend the Haunt duration as long as you DS it at some point while Dark Soul is active

The loss in Mastery/Int from Heroic to normal isnt that massive to get the bonuses provided by the tier.

7+ Year Old Account
    Dont question it, just do it! Yesterday you said tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Locknrollen View Post
    Dont question it, just do it! Yesterday you said tomorrow
    What are you waiting for? Just do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Restaallan View Post
    What are you waiting for? Just do it!
    Don't let your dreams be dreams!

Sorta related question that I don't want to start a whole new thread for:

I nabbed a heroic WF Archimonde helm from an event chest, and currently only have 3p normal tier(shoulders, gloves, chest). My guild can consistently kill heroic Kormrok but not Gorefiend. Would it be worth it to pick up a heroic tier helm just for the bonus, despite the loss in stats?
    Quote Originally Posted by HopOnPop View Post
    Obviously Garrosh would win, it's like a gorilla vs a human... do you know how strong a gorilla is? He'll snap your dick off and throw it in the tall grass. Garrosh = dick-snapper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Sure. When I wake up in the middle of the night with a full tank, I just flip back the curtain and let it flow.

Quote Originally Posted by kneeo View Post
    Sorta related question that I don't want to start a whole new thread for:

I nabbed a heroic WF Archimonde helm from an event chest, and currently only have 3p normal tier(shoulders, gloves, chest). My guild can consistently kill heroic Kormrok but not Gorefiend. Would it be worth it to pick up a heroic tier helm just for the bonus, despite the loss in stats?
    Yes, it would be worth it use a heroic tier helm over HWF archi helm to get 4pc. However depending on your current pants even normal tier legs would likely be a better option since the archi helm is just so good.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdzrool View Post
    Yes, it would be worth it use a heroic tier helm over HWF archi helm to get 4pc. However depending on your current pants even normal tier legs would likely be a better option since the archi helm is just so good.
    Currently rocking normal Manny legs. The guild I'm in is pretty casual(to an extent that kinda irritates me coming from a semi-hardcore raiding background) and I don't remember the last time we killed normal Gorefriend. I should probably just pug it but I abhor pugging.
    Obviously Garrosh would win, it's like a gorilla vs a human... do you know how strong a gorilla is? He'll snap your dick off and throw it in the tall grass. Garrosh = dick-snapper.
    Sure. When I wake up in the middle of the night with a full tank, I just flip back the curtain and let it flow.

Deleted
    its definately worth it to get the t18 4pc, so awesome to get multiple procs on pull with everything up, reaching 200k ST dps as destro and refreshing your haunt when DS is up is so good for those burn ohases and executes. both 4pc bonuses provide quite a bit more dps than any combination of non-tier gear you might have instead.

Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    its definately worth it to get the t18 4pc, so awesome to get multiple procs on pull with everything up, reaching 200k ST dps as destro and refreshing your haunt when DS is up is so good for those burn ohases and executes. both 4pc bonuses provide quite a bit more dps than any combination of non-tier gear you might have instead.
    Hm. I guess I'll have to roll on the helm if it drops this week. Or quit being lazy and just join a pug that's at least doing Gorefriend.

I miss the cool factor of seeing Havoc'd, Chaotic Infusion Chaos bolts fly across my screen

Deleted
    i miss my old non-gimmicky 3,2+ million chaos bolts, have to settle for 430k chaos bolts which sucks

I agree...miss times where chaos bolts did their thing back in SoO...especially if u used BBoY as well, that trinket was fantastic

Deleted
    or on pull burst with same trinket as afflic, that was insane.

For affliction, the T18 4pc is just too damn good, especially with the ring meta. Most people burn the ring after setup phase on a pull so your normal haunt will be almost done at that point without the set-piece bonus. Having every proc possible and buff going into the ring is one of the main ways of keeping your dps competitive. Haunt is a 20% buff which is huge because that buff gets multiplied by all your other procs too during that time, especially on pull.

For destruction, 4 piece is meh ... It's a 3% dps increase to go from 2 piece to 4 piece all things equal and that's highly RNG dependent. I use 2 piece for destruction because the pieces I'm replacing tier with have better stats (crit/mastery) and higher item level. Is that worth more than 3% dps? Almost certainly. On target switching fights I'm using GSR and DSI. The 4-piece bonus is fine with DSI since the proc is so long. With GSR, I can get about 3 bolts consistently but the 4th is tough (mainly chaos bolt moves so damn slow to a target). Having the a free bolt proc after the fact doesn't help me get another bolt in with GSR up. It also doesn't help that you can't tell its free until after you cast the bolt. However, having more mastery and crit from equipping non-set pieces makes the 3 bolts I do cast with GSR up more powerful.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    With GSR, I can get about 3 bolts consistently but the 4th is tough (mainly chaos bolt moves so damn slow to a target). Having the a free bolt proc after the fact doesn't help me get another bolt in with GSR up. It also doesn't help that you can't tell its free until after you cast the bolt. However, having more mastery and crit from equipping non-set pieces makes the 3 bolts I do cast with GSR up more powerful.
    You seem to not be aware of the fact that buffs on a spell are calculated at the cast end and NOT the impact. So, any chaos bolt cast that ends inside the GSR buff is fine. Techinically, you could cast 5 Chaos within the GSR buff (assuming a 1.8 sec chaos).