Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    ...ok? I don't get what you're trying to say here. I mean like...duh. If some random tries to sell mods, it's very unlikely that folks will buy it unless it's insanely mad hype and gets a lot of attention. That's kinda how it's supposed to work, the folks that will sell a lot of product are the folks that make high quality product (whatever it is) and have built up a following/brand that's in high demand.

Capitalism and shit. I feel we're on the same page.

True! And the turds will make next to nothing, and with a properly regulated system stolen work will be handled both on the part of players (warning others, not buying, etc.) and the regulators (removal, etc.)

But such a mechanism exists for all "home crafts", all music made at "home" (or in the studio as a hobby), and anything else under the sun, pretty much.
    I do think we're exactly on the same page, when it comes to how mods should be treated, the only difference is, I see real issues with microtransaction-type fodder MODs, created not by the current enthusiasts, but by the new influx of 'MODers' (I'm still not sure what the correct English phrasing for a MODer is).

Look at early access. It's become overgrown with easy cash projects. Once we start treating MODs like APPs, we'll start paying left and right, €/$0.95 for a new weapon. In no time, we'll be overrun with APPS, instead of MODs. MODs are things people put their soul in, with the knowledge that they would likely never see a return. I simply fear the effect will run way out of bounds.

And I'm not naive enough to consider for even a second, that Valve is capable of keeping this in check.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2015-10-17 at 08:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is, half the reason I play Elder scrolls games is for the mods. Sure I'll still buy the base game and completely explore it, but after that if I had to pay for mods at 2 to 10 dollars a pop when I usually download over 200 mods, I'd just rather play something else instead. I don't want to pick and choose which mods I get to put in my game because there is a price associated with them. If games have a shorter lifespan because people refuse to pay for mods, they will be less liked overall and less people will buy the base game of the next iteration. I assume most people who play Skyrim on PC love to mod things, and why would they ever buy it for PC again if they suddenly have to pay more. It is a bad system and would take away one of the main reasons I like to play these games in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Why can't they just keep their greedy little hands off the mods?
    If modders kept their hands off the mods there wouldn't be any mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    valve == modders? wait wut

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    And certain Modders do Deserve money for it yeah. But it will be misused for others

Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    And certain Modders do Deserve money for it yeah. But it will be misused for others
    Those modders get hired for thier mods, They do get paid. Almost all of the above and beyond and top tier modders/skinners/animators have been approached by gaming studios to get hired. Dont think they get ignored and thrown away. If this was all about getting the modders money then valve could nix thier cut, but they wont, just like the cs skins its all about them getting a chunk of a free market.

All this talk of modding has me itching to start up Skyrim again...

Also; Though I'm not an insider, so I don't know, I actually do think the way Zeta333 describes it should be how good modders reap the benefits. That, or simply through one of the existing kickstarter-type crowdfunding sites. The options are aplenty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    You expect Valve to actualy police this?

Damn, you are naive as fuck.
    They sure as hell did a great job policing Greenlight and early access, didn't they ?

The only way I see paid mods working out is if the relevant game companies ultimately become responsible for them.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    They sure as hell did a great job policing Greenlight and early access, didn't they ?
    Is this rhetorical irony?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I can make this very short. false

Your employer had a position open, that he needed to be filled. That employer is willing to pay you, to fill that position. He offers you a contract, which seals the agreement within the terms of that contract. That contract makes it a job, for tax purposes, mortgage purposes and a few other government related purposes.

Starting a HOBBY, which it is, out of free will and making money, is not a bad thing. Starting a HOBBY and expecting to be paid in the same way, while you are the one that decides that other people need you , is not called working. It's called having your cake and eating it.
    You realize the term for this is freelancing, and a great many people do it?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not going to do your thinking for you mate, plenty of people I'm already doing that for.
    Lmao what a cop out, do everyone a favor and don't post again until you're actually capable of explaining what you're saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    You expect Valve to actualy police this?

Damn, you are naive as fuck.
    Those functionalities already exist on the steam platform.

- - - Updated - - -

I do think we're exactly on the same page, when it comes to how mods should be treated, the only difference is, I see real issues with microtransaction-type fodder MODs, created not by the current enthusiasts, but by the new influx of 'MODers' (I'm still not sure what the correct English phrasing for a MODer is).

Look at early access. It's become overgrown with easy cash projects. Once we start treating MODs like APPs, we'll start paying left and right, €/$0.95 for a new weapon. In no time, we'll be overrun with APPS, instead of MODs. MODs are things people put their soul in, with the knowledge that they would likely never see a return. I simply fear the effect will run way out of bounds.

And I'm not naive enough to consider for even a second, that Valve is capable of keeping this in check.
    What's the problem here? You have a problem with compensating people for their work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    And?

These developers and Artist deserve a stable from of income. Yes you freeloaders time of getting all mods of high quality for free forever is coming to an end, deal with it.

It was always clear valve was putting a pause on this project not a full stop, community will regulate this and determine the price and value. If you don't want pay anything ever you are in for a bad future, if you don't mind paying less then dlc's for more you aren't.
    That's the problem. Games are expensive as is. Mods have to be responsible for making prices fair.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    You realize the term for this is freelancing, and a great many people do it?
    What's the problem here? You have a problem with compensating people for their work.
    If you had put any effort in reading anything I've said, but that goes for more peoples comments you choose to completely ignore, you would've known that this is not true. Feel free to freelance, I encourage it. Though what I'm not going to get into, is any debate with you. You're the type that goes *nananananananananana can't hear you* and then pulls out-of-context quotes to support a case that doesn't exist. I'm fairly sure that you're not the modder I would choose to recompense.

I refuse to buy any mods. If someone wants to get paid for doing that kind of work then I suggest they get a job in that field. Mods get abandoned or go out of date all that time. I'll be damned if I'm wasting money on a mod that will likely stop functioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

There HAS to be a better way to support mod developers than to CHARGE for mods. Charging for mods means buyers would expect quality at initial release, whereas the best mods don't become truly great until tens or hundreds of iterations later.

Exactly. See, thinking done. (Too bad you did it, not him)

Street Musician(Modder)(Not a job, but hobby) -> Musician(Developer)(job)
    A street musician is a musician. If he/she decides to start in the streets or anywhere else and play for free, that is entirely their option. If they want to instead sell their first song, that is also a valid option. You can make money out of hobbies, that is an inherent right we have in capitalism where you can potentially make money out of anything you make or do. I can have a hobby of painting on canvas. Telling me I don't have the right to sell it? Because it's a hobby? That's super poor reasoning.

What Edge mentioned afterwards is a valid option, but an option nonetheless, meaning there are other routes. Selling the first song I make is entirely in my right. It may not be the smartest way to get recognized but it is still my right. That's all this is in the end and the only one controlling the rights to sell mods are the IP holders of the original game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    That's the problem. Games are expensive as is. Mods have to be responsible for making prices fair.
    No all that means is that the core game is not worth it's value without mods, which is true for most Bethesda games.

"In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance