Telegraph says Russia has been testings ways to cut off Russia from internet

Russia is not the only country, China has the Great Firewall of China, Saudi Arabia and Iran have firewalled off their internet and block websites the religious deem unsavory. North Korea blocks a lot of stuff and makes getting access to the internet difficult if not impossible. Cuba is a lot like North Korea but has been testing open access lately.

The tests failed.

Saw this article that said Russia views the internet more like a road crossing their border, it's a national security risk. Most western countries see the internet as a world wide network with no international boundaries. At least so far, I would be curious to see what would happen to the internet during a WWIII situation.

Do you think Russia will cut itself off from the Internet? Do you think it's possible for Russia to cut itself off or will Russians find a way around the firewall?

Russia-tried-to-cut-off-World-Wide-Web.html

Russia has run large scale experiments to test the feasibility of cutting the country off the World Wide Web, a senior industry executive has claimed.

The tests, which come amid mounting concern about a Kremlin campaign to clamp down on internet freedoms, have been described by experts as preparations for an information blackout in the event of a domestic political crisis.

Andrei Semerikov, general director of a Russian service provider called Er Telecom, said Russia’s ministry of communications and Roskomnadzor, the national internet regulator, ordered communications hubs run by the main Russian internet providers to block traffic to foreign communications channels by using a traffic control system called DPI.

The objective was to see whether the Runet – the informal name for the Russian internet – could continue to function in isolation from the global internet.

The experiment, which took place in spring this year, failed because thousands of smaller service providers, which Roskomnadzor has little control over, continued to pass information out of the country, Mr Semerikov said.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

They could unplug their network cable. Or disable their network cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    No Kasi! We must rescue her nao!

I hope they do, I'm sick of toxic russian players in online games.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know it's the website's name, but does anyone find it amusing that the Telegraph is reporting about the Internet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Play on US servers, there are few Russians here.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    You've never played Dota 2, have you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    This was my first thought also, might make me a terrible person because lot of other people would be cut off from information etc but it would benefit me personally.

Deleted
    Published time: 19 Sep, 2014

https://www.rt.com/news/188960-inter...ussia-counter/

That's a repost OP. Try to make OC next time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    It's a serious matter Crissi.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Instead we get the Brazilians, they're the NA equivalent of Russians for online gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the end all Russians serve Putin's personal desires. They must hail overlord Putin.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Please do so. I hate Russians and they are assholes in games.

10+ Year Old Account
    we must save our russian friends on this forum!

Brazilians are definitely not the American equivalent of Russians for online play.

Brazilians can be detrimental when a shared language is required, but ultimately when you can converse with them they are polite, considerate and co-operative.

Having played a number of online games on both European and North American servers, American ones have it much easier simply because of the likelihood everybody shares a language.

First thought: DOTA2 get a lot better.

Second thought: Convince Russia to share tactics with Peru.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    You've never played Dota 2, have you?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakainen View Post
    Instead we get the Brazilians, they're the NA equivalent of Russians for online gaming.
    Hmm, never had any trouble with Brazilians, or with any specific group on NA for that matter. Rarely there would be some people refusing to speak English and talking to each other in Spanish/Portuguese, but that's way better than "cyka blyat" on Russ... I mean, European servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarella View Post
    Having played a number of online games on both European and North American servers, American ones have it much easier simply because of the likelihood everybody shares a language.
    Also true. There are very few people on NA I meet that cannot communicate in English completely. And the majority (I think) speaks it natively. On EU, quite a lot of people speak rather poorly.
    Last edited by May90; 2015-10-17 at 06:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    uhm why is russia still using telegraphs? i thought that died out around 100 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

she lives in the states....
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

This is so unbelievable. It's not believable. I guess the new guy at (insert random website name here) needs to make a story so they get to spend their day typing this bullshit so they have a job lol. Maybe whoever typed this is about to get fired?

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Let me explain how this works: The NATO has several overarching media agencies that feed these kind of stories to western media companies.

Let me translate that for you: The NATO feeds bullshit propaganda stories to western media companies on a daily basis. 90% of those bullshit stories involve trying to attack the public image of Russia or any other country they are annoyed with.

Westerners should take everything they read in the media about Russia with a grain of salt. Same goes for Russians reading things about the West in their own media.
    1.) Conspiracy theory.
    2.) The article is old.
    3.) Wouldn't be the first country with moronic leader ship that openly states they check that.
    4.) I wish they did, Russian gamers are like their soldiers; massive trolls.